nelsconfused

Big DZ vs Small DZ

I don't know if my subject even makes sense? haha But here's my question I am getting a gift certificate for my boyfriends first jump on his birthday. I am debating between two locations. First, North Texas skydiving center which is closer to us, a bit cheaper (around 20 bucks less) but it seems to be a bit smaller. It only has 5 reviews (all good) and it seems like a good place. Second, Skydive Dallas which has about 20 reviews all 5 star reviews, seems like a larger company. Does this matter at all? Which would you suggest? Is there something I should look for?

Let me start by saying I am speaking in general terms and I have not been to either DZ.

Larger DZs usually have a bigger plane and go to a slightly higher altitude. They also have more customers and you usually will get less personal service.

I have never been to a small DZ that was not friendly. While I have been to larger DZs where no one bothers talking to me and if I had not been outgoing I would have spent the day jumping by myself.

Can't offer any opinon about "North Texas skydiving center" as I have never been there.

Skydive Dallas is my home DZ. Great place, great staff, great planes, great community of jumpers, lots of cool stuff going on. Many world record holders jump there (World Team 2006).

If you visit, ask around for the guy with the really ugly "Birth Control Glasses" and I will be happy to give you a tour.

This Saturday a gang of experienced jumpers will attempt to build an 8 person formation in freefall during NIGHTTIME. It should be a grand time!

If you are a dog person ... be sure to meet Lexy, and ask if Chip, LuLu, or Katy are there. All are quite promiscuous with free kisses!;););)

The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

I jump at Skydive Dallas. I did my first and second tandem there...I wouldn't be jumping still today if it were not for their positive and great energy of the staff. :)

I can back that up. I've made about 3 jumps there spread out over a couple of years. I used to travel that way for work. The point is, each time I was a "visitor." The people there were great and treated me like family.

Never been to N.Texas, but I had a friend from work make a tandem there. He said it was great, as well.

haha birth control glasses...I would love to see those! Everyone has been very helpful and I should go out and visit each. But I would really would want him to come and decide but that would ruin the surprise! I was also planning on telling him that he was jumping the day of. Like we're driving lalala and bam! we're here! Most people say not to do that but he will love it. I may tell him before we get there, he's always wanted to do this. Both DZ sound great and it's going to be a touch decision. They are both about 45 minutes to an hour from us so pretty close :)

This Saturday a gang of experienced jumpers will attempt to build an 8 person formation in freefall during NIGHTTIME. It should be a grand time!

I can guarantee you'll WANT to stick around for these. This tiger is going to pounce on someone if the NSCR is completed and I make it down safely!!!

If you do come to Skydive Dallas, I personally recommend William for a tandem master. All of them are fantastic, but he thriiiiiiives on people having a good time.

...ooohhh...and Glide...you gotta spell Lexxxie's name right cuz she's that special. haha :P Sorry...just had to mess with you. ;)
~Nikki
http://www.facebook.com/poe62

Irgity Dirgity

I also recomend Skydive Dallas. It is my home DZ. I live closer to 2 DZ's but drive their cuase of the people! But i have never been to N Texas Skydive so icant comment on it. Hope he has a good time ether way.
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

I also jump at Skydive Dallas. I think the North Texas Skydiving Center is the one at Caddo Mills? I have jumped there but it was about 8 years ago, so I can't really comment on them. I do know some of the people that jump there and they are good people.

I have over 1000 jumps at Skydive Dallas.
For a big dropzone Skydive Dallas has more of a small dropzone feel to it. We try to keep everyone involved no matter how many jumps they have. Skydive Dallas has some top notch instructors that are very friendly and are there to make your skydiving experience the best.

Damn that sounded like an advertisement.:D

I should go out and visit each. I was also planning on telling him that he was jumping the day of. Like we're driving lalala and bam! we're here! Most people say not to do that but he will love it. I may tell him before we get there, he's always wanted to do this.

So go. Both are full of skydivers so they have to be cool places.
Be careful with the surprise thing. If he's always wanted to do it you should be ok, but people can be funny. I've seen it go both ways. Both were couples with both doing tandems. One went great. She was the surprise "victim" and didn't find out until they turned into the driveway. She was thrilled and had a blast. The other wasn't so great (different time) He was the "victim" of the surprise and didn't think it was such a great idea (less so when he read the release). She jumped and had a great time. That didn't change his mind or improve his mood. It looked like the fight started at the end of the driveway. I doubt that anniversary went on the "good" list.
Also, be careful what you wish for. This sport can be VERY addictive. You may find yourself spending a lot of time on the DZ (not that that's a bad thing):)
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I can speak on this pretty well. I make more than 5-6 jumps each week at each place.

North Texas(Caddo) is a 182 DZ slower paced and can take some time between loads, its more of an all day thing. What great people and you'll feel like family instantly. Best small DZ anywhere in my opinion,
10.5K altitude more like $50-$60 cheaper for tandems

SDD FANTASTIC planes, people, cafe, hangers, and more.
13.5K altitude means alot more freefall.
Somehow despite being a bigger DZ its kept the family feeling.

Both places will drink your beer at the end of the day as fast as you can bring it. ;)And if you run out you can drink ours. I think you do yourself a disservice if you leave before the last load, and don't hang out with everyone at the end of the day at both places. If you decide its a one time jump, then you might as well experience everything. You may decide to do it again and it won't hurt to know everyone

HAVE FUN!!