bloody_trauma

Packing

Packed my own first-jump tandem (true story);).

have VERY occasionally allowed another person to pack my rig... I think so far it's been limited to my dad, my sister, and an ex-girlfriend (who wasn't "ex" at the time).

Have never paid a packer (or a rigger, for that matter... actually assembled and packed my first rig) and will never do so unless it's absolutely necessary for training/competition purposes.

It's funny because I was a packer for 10 years and it put me through college, but I just don't understand why people don't pack their own.

"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

I only packed a couple of times as a student. Once I got my A I borrowed gear off friends that had a big main in a smallish container. A packer had no problem but I wasn't comfortable packing it. I also managed to hurt my thumb in a batting cage so when I tried to pack it hurt like hell so I just paid a packer.

While I wasn't packing my own gear, I packed for friends a couple of times and got lessons from friends too. N.B - if you're going to get packing lessons, makes sure you're getting it from ONE PERSON AT A TIME! Things can get ugly!

I bought my own gear a month or so ago and I guess I've put 20-30 jumps on it, I've packed every all but one of my jumps. The one I didn't pack, I had a friend pack because I wanted to get on sunset & couldn't get packed in time. I was also packing for myself during one of our team's 4 way meets.

I show people how I pack all the time. I think I spend most of my time explaining that I'm a noob, don't know what I'm doing and that they should ask someone that does but this is just to get an idea. ;)

While I wasn't packing my own gear, I packed for friends a couple of times and got lessons from friends too. N.B - if you're going to get packing lessons, makes sure you're getting it from ONE PERSON AT A TIME! Things can get ugly!

yeah... most people are super opinionated about the best way to pack, and having 2 or 3 people "helping" at once is a recipe for an argument and for totally overwhealming the newbie with conflicting information.

At the same time, if you can get those 2 or 3 (or 5 or 10;)) people to show you different techniques separately, it can be very valuble since what is best for you is never going to be exactly the same method as for someone else. Everyone needs to develop a hybridized method of packing that combines elements of several people's methods, as well as a few of their own to reach what is ultimately best for the individual.
"Some people follow their dreams, others hunt them down and beat them mercilessly into submission."

but i was just curious...
around what jump number you started packing (and jumping) your own rig, if at all.

I got my own rig at jump #13. Had many troubles with it being new and a 210 in a rig made for 170/190. I had two or three people teach me but I really couldn't do it confidently until Jackie @ Skydive San Marcos actually took them time to explain it all to me and force me to pack it a couple of times. THANKS JACKIE! Since then I had packers pack for me during the day and the last pack job I would pack at home. So, 1 out of 4 jumps I'd pack myself...... I pack all of my pack jobs NOW to save money!

Can't pay for pack jobs here, too expensive. But have packed for others in my parachute club for free, and would buy more pack jobs if it was cheaper.

I like my own pack jobs better than most pack jobs that I've paid for. I know how my parachute opens and know the tricks to make it open the way I want.

:)

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I feel like someone beat the hell out of me after a day of jumping, and I DON'T pack. I can't imagine how I'd feel if I spent my day doing both.

That's the beauty of it.

I'm in pretty good shape, but after a day of wrestling my Sabre2 I sleep like an absolute baby.

Then I ache like hell the next day :) but it's that satisfying ache, like when you do a cross country run.