flyhi

Why are there no Antonov AN-2's in the US?

Jeff,

Antonov was a decade ahead of you.
About a decade ago, Antonov tried installing a Walter (?) turboprop engine in an AN-2. they called the new version AN-3, but never sold any, so the project died.

It seems that most former communist countries would rather buy Cessnas.

Jeff,

About a decade ago, Antonov tried installing a Walter (?) turboprop engine in an AN-2. they called the new version AN-3, but never sold any, so the project died.

It seems that most former communist countries would rather buy Cessnas.

Just a thought. There's one sitting down at Columbia, Tennessee that I think has been there about 10 years that I know of. I wondered then if it was jumpable, then saw this thread and thought I'd ask.
Thanks for the feedback.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Jeff,

About a decade ago, Antonov tried installing a Walter (?) turboprop engine in an AN-2.

Glushenkov, 1400 HP replacing the 1000HP PZL R1820 clone.

The popular Walter 601 engine is a Czech small PT6A clone that may be good for half that depending on variant.

A twisted person might do a conversion like the Soloy Dual Pac with a pair of M601s mated to a common gearbox and propellor.

Solloy flew the conversion on a DHC-3 Otter and their stretched C208.

Or a Piper Twin Comanche, where the engine gets replaced with a nose cone and pair of nacelles added. Any one know the magnitude of those airframe changes?

Any one know the magnitude of those airframe changes?

Big. Huge. Gargantuan. I learned to fly back in the early 80's in Oshkosh when Warren Basler started doing the DC-3 turbine conversions. I saw several in process and was blown away. Think complete teardown and rebuilld. He even tried a Twin Beech (Beech-18) tricycle gear turbine conversion, but the only one crashed down in Florida (selected an empty fuel tank for takeoff), and they never built another. Again, think complete teardown and rebuild. They even replaced the twin tail with a huge single tail. The paperwork and testing and documentation for FAA approval is unbelievable. Maybe smaller, newer, twins are less involved, but then, the Basler conversions were cargo craft, not passenger craft. The FAA is a lot pickier about people than packages.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo