mitsuman

When do you consider yourself a "skydiver"

Would you now as an instructor take on a student in this (your ((Not any more))) state of mind?

Don't have to worry about that, I am likely the only skydiver in the history of the sport that ever experienced "issues" during the course of life.
Just in the event that they are able to hide their personal issues from me while teaching them to skydive safely, howzubout I have every student provide a detailed report from a qualified and competent psychiatrist to ensure that they never had or are currently experiencing any form of negative emotions or depression of any kind what-so-ever?

I dont think any Psychiatrist would clear someone who wants to jump outta a plane, knowing as little about skydiving as most students, as sane. Just a thought though. :P
I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

What. So us low jump number people arent good enough for you.

I am offended. Yeah well I didn't wanna jump with you anyway >:(

Seriously though are you concerned about them or you? Preaty sure you could avoid them if you need to, and Im sure they could figure out how to pull.

So a formation isnt made with as many points as you may like, anything that goes awry after that point is probably unavoidable anyway.

Then again Im a 25 jump chump (really like that saying.)

USPA says its all gravy.

(Really trying to think of the proper icon's to use to make this funny but my online edicute sucks, sorry)

I keep telling my friends skydiving will fix all your problems, Im a fibber you just let go a minute at a time. Choose what to do with it.

So at what point is someone “considered” a skydiver? Perhaps for each person there is a different answer, I believe for me – I was a skydiver before I made my first jump.

Mykel~

The first time I read that I thought:
That's interesting, but a bit of a stretch.

Read through the body of your post several times thinking about content, context, and the introspection that must have gone along with coming to terms with who you are and where you were headed.

I've watch you work with students for a while now, and maybe I finally understand. You really ARE doing what you're meant to do...and I would have to agree with your statement quoted above.

At any rate, you've certanily opened wider my definition of what a skydiver is...ya know, people like you are one of the things I love about this sport. B|

(then again- what do i know, i can't tell the difference between shit & shine-ola!):P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Read my sig, fill in the gaps and reflect upon what it means.

Over here you can jump with just about anyone you like, provided both of you have graduated a RW-instruction course.
Of course you're expected not to organise a noob-eightway or whatever, but twoways are fine.
Even if you get to make only one point after a funneled exit, you still had some fun.
Er, you did - right?
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

A first tandem does not a skydiver make. A TI could strap a sack of potatoes to his rig and jump. Would the sack of potatoes then be considered a skydiver?

I like to think of it this way:

You are a skydiver when the only way that you are going to get back on the ground alive is if you make it happen.

- David
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

You are a skydiver when the only way that you are going to get back on the ground alive is if you make it happen.

- David

I like that answer.
My wife has done 3 tandems over the years. She does not consider herself a skydiver
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

A first tandem does not a skydiver make. A TI could strap a sack of potatoes to his rig and jump. Would the sack of potatoes then be considered a skydiver?

- David

So if you strap a rig to a sack of potatoes and throw it out of a plane all by itself, the sack of potatoes is now considered a skydiver?

haha

yes i agree with you. I believe as soon as you exit and save yourself. Thats it.
Hi, my names Jon, and I love to skydive.

So if you strap a rig to a sack of potatoes and throw it out of a plane all by itself, the sack of potatoes is now considered a skydiver?

If they flare before they hit the ground?

YES!

Team-SPUD!

:P
SCR #14809

"our attitude is the thing most capable of keeping us safe"
(look, grab, look, grab, peel, punch, punch, arch)

You guys are making this way to complicated. My head hurts, I need some Gray Goose.

Sparky

+1 (though I'll go with Famous Grouse if you don't mind)
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom

I think that you pose a great question because the answer is unique to each individual who has displayed the intestinal fortitude that it takes to make a skydive. It took a few jumps for me to come to this realization that I was a skydiver. It came after achieving a few goals (ie, being able to swoop and dock, stay close, etc...) and it came at a time when I was staying current. ;) Harry