skittles_of_SDC

Why 200?

Always hearing about what seems to be the 'Magical 200' as I've dubbed it, left me with a question.

I've read many times on these forums, and been told many times at the DZ, that just because you reach 200 jumps doesn't mean you are ready to do something. Be it BASE, strapping on a camera, wingsuiting-the list goes on.

First question. Why was 200 chosen? Was there research done and that number proved effective? Was it because it was a nice round number?

Second question. Why is it that the inverse never seems to apply that one can be ready before getting to 200?

My skin is starting to warm up already just thinking about the flaming sure to ensue. ;)

200 used to be the number of jumps required for a D license.

Since the D license was (by some) considered to the be "expert" license, a lot of noobies felt that once they had 200 jumps they pretty much knew all there was to know about "normal" skydiving and could automatically move on to the "extraordinary" skydiving.

It was never a perfect idea no matter how you looked at it, but it was and still is a fairly decent number by which to gauge a certain level of experience. It "usually" means a person has been around for "about" a year and has "probably" experienced a few issues on his own while seeing the sometimes rather rugged results of other people doing "stupid shit." Hopefully that sinks in a bit before he starts getting too creative all by himself.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

You will eventually figure out why those guys with thousands of jumps act and give advice they way they do.
@ jump 200 yep iwas they shiznit,
jump 500 gotten alot better but realized didn't know shit at jump 200.\
hit 1000 hell yea, the elite- once again wish I had toned down the attitude I showed at 500.
2000 + and im giving credit to the sport that is still on a constant learning curve.
Take the advice live another day to look back on all that smack you talk before.
I Am Sofa King We Todd Did!!

IMO, there is a difference between thinking you are billy badass, king of all that is indestructable, and feeling like you are ready to move on to something new. I think that you can have confidence in yourself without having an ego to go along with it. I dont have an ego when im in the sky. I know I suck and I know I have a lot to learn. When I'm on the ground, yeah, my ego is so big I'm surprised it fits in the hangar. But that ego is in no way related to my jumping it has to do with me being the self appointed coolest man in the world. :D

I can't wait for my 200th.

Wingsuit BASE with camera, going to be a fun jump.

haha! throwin all the eggs in one basket. For my 200th I plan on doing a wingsuit mr.bill tandem base with camera, light my pants on fire and swoop the landing over a croc infested pond with a 70 sqft canopy while blindfolded. ya, i'm just that good...B|

It's a well known fact that all knowledge and skill is acquired only after multiples of 10 or 100 experiences. It doesn't matter who you are or what you're doing, powers of ten are indeed *magic*.

How ridiculous would it be if the rule was "You have to have made a minimum 217 jumps before you can try a wingsuit".

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

IMO, there is a difference between thinking you are billy badass, king of all that is indestructable, and feeling like you are ready to move on to something new. I think that you can have confidence in yourself without having an ego to go along with it. I dont have an ego when im in the sky. I know I suck and I know I have a lot to learn. When I'm on the ground, yeah, my ego is so big I'm surprised it fits in the hangar. But that ego is in no way related to my jumping it has to do with me being the self appointed coolest man in the world. :D

Yeah, youre profile shows it:ph34r:

I can't wait for my 200th.

Wingsuit BASE with camera, going to be a fun jump.

haha! throwin all the eggs in one basket. For my 200th I plan on doing a wingsuit mr.bill tandem base with camera, light my pants on fire and swoop the landing over a croc infested pond with a 70 sqft canopy while blindfolded. ya, i'm just that good...B|

Don't forget to hook up the canopy backwards. Anything less would be so passe.
" . . . the lust for power can be just as completely satisfied by suggesting people into loving their servitude as by flogging them and kicking them into obedience." -- Aldous Huxley

thanks to much improved curriculum, training methods, gear, and the assimilation of information, not to mention the willingness of oldsters to share knowledge with the new crowd,,,
200 could be looked at, as "the 5 or 600" of the past...

Of course that assumes that the 'newsters' are paying attention, and are NOt being distracted by this discipline and that discipline....failing to concentrate thoroughly on any ONE.....

I think a person with 200 jumps today, knows waaay more than a person of 200 jumps, 20 or 30 years ago..

case in point,, I completed my FIRST 4 way RW formation
on my jump # 300 !!! ( not a typo),, and it wasn't from lack of trying...:S:o[:/]
of course we were exiting from 7 - 5, and mostly NObody was very good at RW... save for the one or two "naturals" at the DZ...I took me hundreds and hundreds of jumps to get to ONE hour of freefall, lots of hop and pops, very few jumps above 7,500 feet. didn't make a jump from 12,500 till around 175 jumps...:(:$:$
never jumped a ram air, til over 700 jumps...
of course i already had 5 or 600 when THEY were just starting to become regularly accepted...

200 today , could be JUST enough , for a jumper to be STARTing to know some things,,, and as long as the jumper has a sensible approach, AND good guidance from his or her instructors,,, it could very well be a level to begin expanding one's repertoire.. It is NOT however a license to 'cut loose' and do ANYthing and EVERYthing....... many of us,, (yours truly included) never get to THAT level...
i had 1,750 jumps when i first donned a video camera,, and made over 1000 jumps on a round, ( french papillon) before upgrading full time to a ram air main... and since doing that!!! have mostly UP sized,,,,rather than downsized...hahaha go figure!!!

But that's just me...:SB|;)
common sense can keep ya' young AND healthy..in spirit, even if the body is getting old and worn;):D:)

to the O P
200.... just getting started, friend...
go easy... go far...

jmy