johnabarton

Altimeter limits/ Did I get ripped off?

I think they got ripped off. If that's true, I want the name of the DZO so we can apply a little peer pressure.>:(

Not trying to bust your bubble, but why would pressure from you carry any weight?

JohnMitchell works for the FAA and he's here to help you! :D:D:D

That's too funny:D

If they used a p206 then we know they didn't make it up to 18k. The service ceiling for the 206 is 15700 stock unless im mistaken. :S

Echoing what others have confirmed, you can go to 18 in a 206. Monterey has a U206 that I did a December 18k run with a buddy that was doing a tandem. As suggested by the others, it's a long flight, and cold and hypoxia are real issues.

But if you're sitting next to the clear sliding door, it's a great view in Monterey.

I think they got ripped off. If that's true, I want the name of the DZO so we can apply a little peer pressure.>:(

Not trying to bust your bubble, but why would pressure from you carry any weight?

I didn't say me, I said we.:P Surely this DZO has DZ.com customers and friends. I'd hate to think he was a total sociopath. I believe in the power of community and peer pressure, although some people seem immune. (they think they have no peers.):D

I didn't say me, I said we.:P Surely this DZO has DZ.com customers and friends. I'd hate to think he was a total sociopath. I believe in the power of community and peer pressure, although some people seem immune. (they think they have no peers.):D

Ya might wanna hold off on the pitchforks and torches. We don't really know what happened behind the scenes on this thing. If it's that big of a deal, maybe "we" could just ask the DZO his side of the story.

Or you could just go fry him.:P
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

Ya might wanna hold off on the pitchforks and torches. We don't really know what happened behind the scenes on this thing. If it's that big of a deal, maybe "we" could just ask the DZO his side of the story.

Sure, I got time to wait for the truth. Ain't started boiling the oil yet.:P I emboldened for emphasis my original words.;)

You guys never jumped Forrest McBride's Green Machine! He had a huge engine in that 182, and even despite the fact that he was far from a dainty fellow, we screamed to altitude.

How do you do that legally? I'm sure I could vastly improve the performance on a cessna engine just by doing the heads. Unfortunately you can't touch anything like that because you'd need an STC for it. Those engines are about the most disgusting 1950's technology castings I've ever seen.

About the only thing I've seen like that is laser drilled injectors to balance the cylinders but they're very expensive and obviously only good for the EFI planes.

Anyone got a spare PT6? I'd like to bolt it on the front of our 182 so we can do 18k tandems!

-Michael

There are quite a few ways to increase the performance numbers on a 182. Start with a STOL/high lift kit, add wing extensions for an increase in max gross weight. Strip out anything not needed, buy your self a special built larger engin from a performance shop, and have a composite prop hung up front.

Now the question is the expense of doing so worth it, or are you polishing a turd. :)
Haven't seen an STC for a turbine 182 but http://soloy.portal.acrosonic.com/Products/Fixed+Wing+Aircraft/Turbine+Cessna+206+Mark+2/default.aspx
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.