howardwhite

The Text Messaging Challenge

Ripped from the headlines...

Samsung Mobile, a leading mobile phone distributor in the U.S., is attempting to set the Guinness World Record for "Fastest Text Messaging While Skydiving."

On Friday, December 19, a team of professional skydivers will text message while freefalling from 12,000 feet outside the Los Angeles city limits at the Samsung Mobile XTREME TEXTING event. The challenge won't be easy. The high-flying daredevils must accurately text message the phrase: "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human." The skydivers will have at most one minute to text message the phrase while freefalling before pulling their parachutes and gliding to the ground.

Once all ten skydivers are safe on the ground and their phones are checked for accuracy, the video shot by two aerial videographers and two additional videographers on the ground will be sent to the Guinness Book of World Records in London for official judging. The team of ten skydivers will use a variety of Samsung Mobile messaging phones during this challenge as a unique way to promote its new lineup of text messaging phones.

The cast of characters etc:
SOUNDBITES:
* Mr. Kim Titus, Public Relations Director, Samsung Mobile
* Troy Hartman, Pro Skydiver/Stuntman
* Sara Bratcher, Pro Skydiver
* Additional Spokesperson TBD

B-ROLL INCLUDES:
* footage of skydivers jumping from airplane; descending towards the
ground; pulling their parachutes; landing
* shots of mobile phone devices used during event

Pix just in!! (This is a great example of viral marketing.)

HW

Samsung Mobile, a leading mobile phone distributor in the U.S., is attempting to set the Guinness World Record for "Fastest Text Messaging While Skydiving."

On Friday, December 19, a team of professional skydivers will text message while freefalling from 12,000 feet outside the Los Angeles city limits at the Samsung Mobile XTREME TEXTING event. The challenge won't be easy. The high-flying daredevils must accurately text message the phrase: "The razor-toothed piranhas of the genera Serrasalmus and Pygocentrus are the most ferocious freshwater fish in the world. In reality they seldom attack a human." The skydivers will have at most one minute to text message the phrase while freefalling before pulling their parachutes and gliding to the ground.

Once all ten skydivers are safe on the ground and their phones are checked for accuracy, the video shot by two aerial videographers and two additional videographers on the ground will be sent to the Guinness Book of World Records in London for official judging. The team of ten skydivers will use a variety of Samsung Mobile messaging phones during this challenge as a unique way to promote its new lineup of text messaging phones.

HW

What?, they don't have to send the message?

The way 'to cheat' is to go find that text message expert or Mark Rejhon and have them as a PAX on a tandem.
I'll put $$ on Mark - even if he did it as a solo jumper. That guy is FAST.

How do you get Mark Rejhon signed up for this?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

HW

What?, they don't have to send the message?

The way 'to cheat' is to go find that text message expert or Mark Rejhon and have them as a PAX on a tandem.
I'll put $$ on Mark - even if he did it as a solo jumper. That guy is FAST.

As long as it's a QWERTY keyboard. I can do the phrase in less than 1 minute, and I thumbtype about 70 words per minute. (Precisely, 74 words per minute or 363 keypresses per minute.)

Freefall is another story, but I have a few disposable BlackBerries to try, and can get someone to make a breakaway tether for one.

Although I have the ability to thumb touchtype and look at an altimeter while I type, I guess they'll require a Videographer as a safety, audible, and a fully functioning AAD. :)
Shame I'm between jobs till January -- unless Samsung wants to fly me down. I think I could probably beat the world record for QWERTY keyboards in freefall -- I still haven't met anyone who could type on a QWERTY keyboard as I.

As long as it's a QWERTY keyboard. I can do the phrase in less than 1 minute, and I thumbtype about 70 words per minute. (Precisely, 74 words per minute or 363 keypresses per minute.)

Freefall is another story, but I have a few disposable BlackBerries to try, and can get someone to make a breakaway tether for one.

Although I have the ability to thumb touchtype and look at an altimeter while I type, I guess they'll require a Videographer as a safety, audible, and a fully functioning AAD. :)
Shame I'm between jobs till January -- unless Samsung wants to fly me down. I think I could probably beat the world record for QWERTY keyboards in freefall -- I still haven't met anyone who could type on a QWERTY keyboard as I.

Hey Mark - I just realized this was set for today.
So I guess you are SOL.

But here's the plan.
Go find someone to lend you a helmet cam and get a third person vidiot.
Set a couple of beepers for you for pull altitude - oh wait that won't work. Get some buddies to tap you and give you the pull signal.

Then go do it and submit the vids to Guiness.

I have no doubt that you can blast out the 'professional skydivers' that they used.

Show the world what fast texting while skydiving is all about.

Make sure you get paid for it. ;)

If you need an agent - call me or that should be email or text me.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Samsung Mobile XTREME TEXTING event.

I have a hard time understanding why you would go through the hassle to text message someone when you are holding something that you can use to talk to them.:S

Sparky

Me too. I guess that makes us both old.:(

Have you ever seen a kid text to the kid sitting right there?:D:D
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I have a hard time understanding why you would go through the hassle to text message someone when you are holding something that you can use to talk to them.

The point is... you can send someone a message without having to "talk" to them. Simple, fast, and no need to ask about the weather or the kids.
Owned by Remi #?

I have a hard time understanding why you would go through the hassle to text message someone when you are holding something that you can use to talk to them.

Well, if the guy you were talking to was deaf and really could not articulate most words, then texting would make a whole lot of sense.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

I'm also a deafie so that means I am more reliant on text messaging. People who's been to the recent Perris P3 bigway camps would probably vouch for my ability to type very fast on a BlackBerry keyboard.

I actually have an audible now, with a flashing light LED -- it's the L&B Optima LED.

I'm also a deafie so that means I am more reliant on text messaging. People who's been to the recent Perris P3 bigway camps would probably vouch for my ability to type very fast on a BlackBerry keyboard.

I actually have an audible now, with a flashing light LED -- it's the L&B Optima LED.

People, if there was a top 20 fastest blackberry qwerty typers in the world, I bet at least 18 would be deaf! ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Samsung Mobile XTREME TEXTING event.

I have a hard time understanding why you would go through the hassle to text message someone when you are holding something that you can use to talk to them.:S

Sparky

duh... You can't talk in freefall :D
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

duh... You can't talk in freefall

Well duh! How many people have you seen testing in freefall.

Sparky

none thus far, but I think it has potential... freeflying may be out the new trend will be 4 way TRW.. texting relative work. :D
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

One of the guys at my DZ is very quick with a rubics cube. He thought he could do it in freefall, since he can routinely work it in 20 to 30 seconds. Checked with Guinness about doing a record, and they refused him. Said something about it being unmeasurable. I wonder if someone like Samsung was pushing, weather Guinness would have found the record more "viable"?
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ