danny2485

temperature a big deal for my AFF

i know i live in florida but were getting a cold spell. i have enough to do my first 3 jumps and then ill finish the next 4 when i get my tax return. well i just dont know about the weather. right now its cold and im not sure how it will affect me. i have longjohns and stuff and dont really mind the cold but at 15k its gonna be freezing. should i just wait till we have a really warm week?

Caveat.... I am a blessed to live in warm Texas.

However, I have found that even when the air temp at ground level is freezing (~30 degrees F), I am comfortable at altitude. I dress in layers and wear vinyl or nitrile gloves inside my usual golves to block the wind. I wear a neck gaiter. I wear a full face helmet.

I find that the key is to keep the wind off my skin. As long as I do that I am fine.

I am sure that someone from a place with REAL cold will provide you with more authoritative opinion.

The only moment that I find uncomfortable when jumping in these circumstances is being the front float "Would you PLEASE hurry up and get ready!!!"

Try searching the fourm for this topic.

(Vinyl or nitrile gloves can be found at most hardware or paint stores.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Caveat.... I am a blessed to live in warm Texas.

However, I have found that even when the air temp at ground level is freezing (~30 degrees F), I am comfortable at altitude. I dress in layers and wear vinyl or nitrile gloves inside my usual golves to block the wind. I wear a neck gaiter. I wear a full face helmet.

I find that the key is to keep the wind off my skin. As long as I do that I am fine.

I am sure that someone from a place with REAL cold will provide you with more authoritative opinion.

The only moment that I find uncomfortable when jumping in these circumstances is being the front float "Would you PLEASE hurry up and get ready!!!"

Try searching the fourm for this topic.

(Vinyl or nitrile gloves can be found at most hardware or paint stores.)

*** I personally am not comfortable with an AFF student wearing gloves of any kind. If it's so cold that you have to wear gloves or layer up to make the jump bearable, you're better off waiting till it warms up a scosh. You've got enough to think about without all the restricted movement and loss of tactile feel in your fingers issues that goes along with gloves/heavy clothing.

John Wright

World's most beloved skydiver

I think maybe a break while you wait for your funds to catch up to you is the best answer... it might be a bit warmer then, too. Having the money in hand to push through your AFF and 'A' license jump requirements is a very good idea. In skydiving currency is a term you will hear a lot about. staying current through your early training will be cheaper, less time consuming, and much, much safer for you.

how cold are we talking - freezing on the ground, or just not sunny Florida weather? I get nervous when I go to LA and see everyone putting on gloves and neckwear, but they're just being pansies.

40F on the ground can translate to pretty nippy up there, though you might not notice until after freefall, as your mind on are on other things. But if you're cold all the way up, it may affect your performance.

Unless you're getting your tax return within 4 weeks of when you plan to do these first jumps, wait anyway. You can go up to a month, but probably would do better not to go more than one weekend off.

Our last day of the year it was -14C at 6k and damn-it I didn't want to go any higher than that. Subject to instructor approval, I've found that mechanix gloves do a good job of keeping my fingers warm and still giving good feeling for grabbing the pud.

Also, if you have a turtleneck it's not a bad idea. Jackets can be fine but don't use one with a collar because it will slap your neck the whole way down. Or as others suggested wait until it's warmer.

Other things to think about and talk with your instructors about is that fact that bulky clothing can cause your handles to be in places you're not used to.

PS you floridians are wimps...

-Michael

I've jumped where at altitude it was -21 C. That wasn't pleasant. Just whack on the layers. 2 tshirts, big fleece etc. I also wear a motorcyclists tube type neck scarf which really helps, especially with open face helmet because can pull it right up over nose!

Dress for success and you wont have a problem!

I would wait until it warms up, and hopefully until you have sufficient funds.

Experienced jumpers can tolerate the cold by layering, but that creates additional problems. Those layers restrict your movement, and limit your ability to feel the air pressure against your body. Gloves can reduce your tactile sense and make grabbing ripcords less effective. Neck gators reduce head movement and visibility. And the cold will still get through, especially on any exposed skin, and that makes your body tense which is itself not a good thing.

So, given where you are, I'd wait at least long enough for it to warm up, and as others have noted it would probably be better to wait until you have your tax refund in hand.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

*** I personally am not comfortable with an AFF student wearing gloves of any kind. If it's so cold that you have to wear gloves or layer up to make the jump bearable, you're better off waiting till it warms up a scosh. You've got enough to think about without all the restricted movement and loss of tactile feel in your fingers issues that goes along with gloves/heavy clothing.

Up here it is unusual for the temperature to be above 5C at altitude and it will be below 0 for most of the season. I put gloves on students for almost all jumps from the top. If you learn to skydive with gloves on it just isn't a problem.

> You've got enough to think about without all the restricted movement
> and loss of tactile feel in your fingers issues that goes along with
> gloves/heavy clothing.

A good point. I would add that if you feel that it is necessary to have your students wear gloves/extra layers, make SURE that you do all the final walkthroughs in the same gear you will have them jump in - and make sure they do some actual pilot chute throws or ripcord pulls with the gloves on.