mxaexm

how to increase level of safety...

Hi All,

I did my first static line jump over a year ago and I loved the whole experience...thinking of getting into skydiving as soon as I will be done with all of my pilot's certificates....my question is:
-Would opening higher than recommended (higher than 3500agl) increase level of safety?
-Would jumping with bigger canopies increase my safety? (I'm thinking bigger..slower etc...I would like to get into skydiving just because I love aviation not to impress anybody with super fast and super small canopy..if you know what I mean).

Any other tips??

thanks and be safe!!!

the higher you open, the more time you have to deal with whatever comes out, generally more than enough time is better than not enough time. im allowed to open as low as 3500, but i usually pull about 5500... besides, i like flying the canopy too

usually larger canopies are more docile, you can have some super soft, super slow landings with them if they are loaded lightly enough, just expect end cell closure
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

-Would opening higher than recommended (higher than 3500agl) increase level of safety?

Yes and no. When you are first starting out you will be jumping with instructors and in fairly controlled conditions where you, the student, will have your own piece of the sky. You will quite literally be the center of your skydive. So, opening higher than the minimums set for more experienced skydivers is a good thing as it gives you more time to react in a bad situation. That said, you'll be given a specific altitude to open at by your instructors and expected to open AT that altitude.

However, as time goes on in the sport and you jump with other people, those same altitudes will actually be dangerous for a variety of reasons only one of which is, you will be clogging up the sky. Generally speaking, if you're going to open above 3,500 feet or higher, you really should let other people on the plane know about it so you can be put out later in the load. At particularly busy drop zones, high openings can definitely be a BAD thing if people aren't aware of what you're up to.

-Would jumping with bigger canopies increase my safety? (I'm thinking bigger..slower etc...I would like to get into skydiving just because I love aviation not to impress anybody with super fast and super small canopy..if you know what I mean).

Yes and no. Again, as a student you'll start out on HUGE canopies and gradually move down in sizes. As you progress you'll find that bigger isn't always safer and there is a happy medium which is just about right. Where that is for YOU will vary depending on your skill and comfort level.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

the higher you open, the more time you have to deal with whatever comes out, generally more than enough time is better than not enough time. im allowed to open as low as 3500, but i usually pull about 5500... besides, i like flying the canopy too

usually larger canopies are more docile, you can have some super soft, super slow landings with them if they are loaded lightly enough, just expect end cell closure

33 jumps and already giving advise. :D:D:D

I hope if you are opening that high you are exiting right before the tandems.

To the OP. There are many things you can do to increase safety, opening high will not necessarily make it safer but in general altitude is your friend. A bigger canopy can be safer too. Basically this sport is as safe as you make it but there are things you have no control over that can kill you.

Safety day is coming up in March. maybe this is a good subject to talk about. In the meantime I would suggest talking with your instructors and remember that you can get good advise here - you also get a lot of idiots. :)

"Don't! Get! Eliminated!"

If you routinely pull at 5500' at something larger than a single Cessna DZ without letting the rest of the load know, including the pilots, and leting the DZ know you may very well end up with a jumper coming through your canopy.

Make sure you know all of the ramifications of your advice.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

However, as time goes on in the sport and you jump with other people, those same altitudes will actually be dangerous for a variety of reasons only one of which is, you will be clogging up the sky. Generally speaking, if you're going to open above 3,500 feet or higher, you really should let other people on the plane know about it so you can be put out later in the load. At particularly busy drop zones, high openings can definitely be a BAD thing if people aren't aware of what you're up to.

On the other hand, on small, Cessna drop zones it can be done with ease. I jump at a small drop zone and hop & pops at the top are very common.
As far as the safety aspect. If you look at the cause of fatalities in our sport the lack of a good parachute is not the big problem. As you gain experience the extra altitude during opening is of rapidly diminishing value above about 3000'. Choosing a conservative canopy is a much more effective way to change the odds.

On the other hand, on small, Cessna drop zones it can be done with ease. I jump at a small drop zone and hop & pops at the top are very common.
As far as the safety aspect. If you look at the cause of fatalities in our sport the lack of a good parachute is not the big problem. As you gain experience the extra altitude during opening is of rapidly diminishing value above about 3000'. Choosing a conservative canopy is a much more effective way to change the odds.

What would be a good example of a conservative canopy???

look at you giving advice blindly to someone with 33 jumps:D:D:D

At the DZ he jumps at 5000 ft opens are pretty sandard across the board. He doesnt need to be getting out right before tandems on every load. Its rare he would need to do that. Most of our freeflyers are opening around 5000 to 5500 as well. Our jumpers and instructors on the load typically communicate well with whos doing what.

I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

if proper seperation is given and people are taught not to track up and down jump run that wouldnt be a problem either. the key is someone with experience organizing on the plane. then the real key is everybody doing what they are suppose to including staying aware. Which will never happen someone is always doing something that wasnt mentioned or was made up on the fly. (no pun intended)

opening higher can give you more time to deal with a malfunction...but it kind of sucks when the wind on the ground is a little under 10mph but the wind above 2,000 feet and higher is 36+ mph and you open up at a little above 4,000 and you're on the first jump run and you're flying a lightly loaded canopy and you end up landing in some random guys farm trying to avoid the barbed wire, cows and cow shit

just sayin' :|

opening higher can give you more time to deal with a malfunction...but it kind of sucks when the wind on the ground is a little under 10mph but the wind above 2,000 feet and higher is 36+ mph and you open up at a little above 4,000 and you're on the first jump run and you're flying a lightly loaded canopy and you end up landing in some random guys farm trying to avoid the barbed wire, cows and cow shit

sounds like a good reason to look at the winds aloft and get better at spotting...

just sayin :|
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

sounds like a good reason to look at the winds aloft and get better at spotting...

just sayin :|

I wasn't the spotter

but I do agree about the winds aloft, should've paid more attention

and also to add, I said how it was the first load of the day, don't know about you and where you jump...but for us that generally means you're the guinea pigs for basing the jump run path for the rest of the day, the rest of the jumps I made that day I made it back to the landing area

yea thanks for that but theonlyski isnt jumping at a multi plane DZ. If he were to visit one and there was a maximum opening requirement it should be made known by the DZ or organizer on the plane. I was just saying where he jumps its acceptable and doesnt normally need special consideration in exit order. but you are right in specific situations it needs to be considered

yea thanks for that but theonlyski isnt jumping at a multi plane DZ. If he were to visit one and there was a maximum opening requirement it should be made known by the DZ or organizer on the plane. I was just saying where he jumps its acceptable and doesnt normally need special consideration in exit order. but you are right in specific situations it needs to be considered

He also needs to know that what he is used to is, in fact, pretty unusual.

If he isn't already aware of that, he could be in for quite a surprise when he goes elsewhere, even without multi-plane or a boogie.

Part of taking care of yourself is knowing when what you are doing is out of the ordinary. That way you can be proactive when you go somewhere that procedures might be different.

If he doesn't realize that 5.5 openings are unusual, and he goes somewhere where that expects 3.5 openings, it could end up being a case of nobody telling anybody else anything.

Mistakes happen. Most places won't expect such a high opening altitude, and they could, by mistake, fail to tell him.

So, it is best all around if he learns now that what is normal for him is not necessarily normal everywhere.

Forewarned is forearmed.

ive been to a couple diffrent dz's and i always inform the load of my opening alt... always!

Great! Glad to hear it! Keep it up.

Another thing you might consider is to get some exposure to the lower opening altitudes that are more commonly used.

That way, if/when you go somewhere where you are not ALLOWED to open so high, you are not in an unusually high stress situation.

Because high stress situation can make you do silly things.

Hi mx,
"opening altitudes" are a trip. 2500' floor for novices and if you're a hot shot 2K to unload trash. Then we started AFF training and students were opening at 4500'!! Well, the deal is we have to get the student open first..THEN.. the JM's and Instructors get to save Their life!! Now since this has been going on for several years, most jumpers are "frozen" above 3500'!! Hell when I was with New Dimensions Flite School at Perris Valley, we'd get the student uncorked by 4 or so then me, the other JM and the Camera man would fly to the middle and toss 3 or 4 points of impromptu RW eg L Donut, R donut, round, L donut or what ever we came up with and still get open by 2 grand!! Good times!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out