marktech101

What's it like?

The language required for answering this ubiquitous question does not exist. It would be like explaining female orgasm to a guy. Can't be done. You'll need to go do a tandem or static line jump and get back to us when you've figured it out, because we don't even know how to explain it to each other, those of us who have done it thousands of times. No matter how hard anyone here tries to explain what it's like, they will fail absolutely .

Freefalling without a parachute . . .

Strongly advised that you not freefall without a parachute.

Haha, was wondering if anyone else had noticed that, too.

Fixed.

If anyone else has an experience to contribute, it would be much appreciated. It's www.howitfeels.net. Starting Friday, I'm circulating a FaceBook ad campaign, and I'd like to have everything in order by then. B|

Thanks so much for your help, guys. I would love to go skydiving, but it's really not feasible right now.

--marktech101

I'm new here, and I've never been skydiving before. What's it like to skydive? If possible, could you detail exactly how it feels, etc? What can I expect the first time I go skydiving? Thanks so much!

Like sticking your hands in warm oatmeal.

I'm new here, and I've never been skydiving before. What's it like to skydive? If possible, could you detail exactly how it feels, etc? What can I expect the first time I go skydiving? Thanks so much!

And windy! Did anyone mention windy?

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

And windy! Did anyone mention windy?

Got it. Windy warm oatmeal.

With your hands.

Check.
Signatures are the new black.

My first jump was a tandem. The wind noise during freefall was crazy. I found myself gasping for air, it seemed like I couldn't get a breath. There wasn't any sensation of falling. It wasn't like falling off your roof or on a roller coaster where you get the rise in your stomach. The experience was very extreme. Then all of the sudden it felt my brains were going to fly out of my toes when the canopy opened. The canopy ride was much less wild feeling but equally fun. The only way to explain it is beautiful. Every thing was much more quiet. Nothing around you like every other time you've flown. My second jump was a little different. No difficulty breathing. I had a job to do in freefall checking heading, alt, my instructors, doing practice throws. The level of adrenaline is like my first sexual experience. All in all the most awesome thing in the world.

Very good description of a first jump. However, I did feel the "falling" part for a couple seconds, until I built up speed. Don't forget the fear some people get, it can be extreme - you're going against millions of years of evolution telling you "Jump off cliff bad idea! Hurt lot. Let Junior go!"

Until you actually do it, you will have difficulty understanding the experience - and afterwards you will have difficulty explaining it!
Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyways... - John Wayne

For me freefalling is like laying on a cushion of air. You let your body sink into it and feel the wind pass through your fingers. You push the air around to move around the sky. Sometimes you have time to look down at the world and see the rest of the world going about their daily business whilst you fall towards the earth at 120mph. It gives you a real feeling of freedom. Then you look at your altimeter and its time to pull. You pull out your pilot-chute and you decelerate from 120mph to 15mph in a few seconds, pulling G's so much that you can hardly breathe for a bit. Then it all goes quiet. The only thing you can hear is a light wind and the slider flapping in the wind. You glide around for a bit then make your landing approach. You get about 15ft from the ground and flair. You almost come to a complete stop and you touch the solid formiliar and quiet ground. And you cant wait to load up and go again. And at the end of the day you head to the DZ bar, grab a beer and chat to like minded people, some of them you have only just met, about the days jumps and look forwards to tomorrow for another day of skydiving.
Live hard, Live fast, Die broke.
D.S. 118118