heliops

Helicopter

Hello,
I am looking into starting a service for taking skydivers up in a helicopter. The helicopter has a 13,000 ft ceiling and can carry 2 skydivers plus the pilot. I am just wondering what I have to do to be able to do this? If anyone knows what has to be done or where to find the info please let me know. thanks

Helicopter operations have been covered several times before in this forum.
Try doing a search.

Several subtle factors will determine whether you can turn a profit hauling skydivers.

After the novelty has worn off, skydivers will only remain interested in helicopter jumps if they are close to the cost of jumps from fixed wing aircraft.

The first factor to consider is your cost per hour of flight. Is it competitive with single-engined Cessnas.

The other subtle factor is your rate of climb. Sure your helicopter may have a published service ceiling of 13,000 feet, but how long does it take to ?get there?
How long does it take on a hot day?
Will it even climb to 13,000 feet on a hot day?
How many loads can you fly per hour?
How much can you charge each individual jumper?
Is that enough to cover the cost of fuel, insurance, maintenance, hangarage, etc.?

Considering those variables, you may want to reconsider a service to only 5,000 feet, because the novelty of helicopter jumps wears off ten seconds after exit.

Helos tend to be 4-5 times the cost per hour of comparable fixed wing a/c. Hauling only two jumpers at a time certainly limits the group size. We are used to a/c carrying a minimum of 4 or more.

Considering your payload and performance, you would probably be more of a novelty jump, maybe from 5K-6K agl. If you can hover or at least fly extremely slowly at that altitude, the jumpers will pay extra to get a low airspeed "weightless" exit, even if only half as high as they usually go. I pay extra for that from time to time.

As others have stated, a helo is usually more of a 'novelty' jump. Jumpers love helo jumps, but only becasue they are different that what they are used to. Generally the 'love' wears off after a jump or two.

How you could be successful is to plan an 'event' where you offer helo jumps. DZs will hold 'boogies' which are just giant parties that generally involve bringing in larger aircraft (than the DZ usually has) or happens to coincide with a holiday weekend. A helo is generally a popular feature at a boogie, and you could probably do pretty well in that setting.

The idea is that you have a large number of jumpers, and you could line up enoguh to keep the baldes turning for a few hours. By having jumpers lined up and ready to go, you can run the laods back to back without shutting down in between loads. Again, as others have stated, about 5000ft agl is a good comprimise between time to altitude and the cost of the jump.

Speaking of the cost, helo jumps generally run anywhere from $45 to $65 to 5000ft agl. You need to run the numbers for your helo and see if you can get by on about $100 per load. Keep in mind that you'll need to cover the ferry cost to get form your home base to the DZ and back.

Where are you located anyway? What sort of helo are you flying?

Try contacting all the DZ in your area. There's a good listing of DZs on this site.

You could probably make a few bucks if you could turn three loads an hour, of course it all depends on the ferry time. If you do find a DZ holding a boogie nearby, you could hit up the DZ owner for a few bucks toward the ferry costs. Often times they will charge the jumpers a boogie registration to cover those types of costs (but I wouldn't count on it).

Of course, there always the weather. Even if you can fly to the DZ, the winds might kick up enough to keep the jumpers on the ground, and then you make nothing.

It's a tough way to make a buck, but if you have a bird and nothing better to do with it, it's worth a shot.

At the Chicks Rock boogie in Elsinore last fall they had a helo taking jumpers up to 5k for $60.

That chopper was able to hold 4 jumpers plus the pilot and he hovered while we "fell" off the struts each of the 2 jumps I made.

The helo jumps went on for hours, they showed up late, around 9am, but were flying non-stop till at least 3 or 4.

One of the pilots did his first tandem (from an otter) and the others organized a free (female) topless jump from the helo, it was a fun boogie btw.

good luck....
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

2+pilot in cali in a hiller to 13k

no freakin way

jef
heli pilot

ps you start letting people out while you have forward airspeed and you are asking for big trouble... whats your OGE hover for max weight

edited to add, feel free to contact me for more info on this subject from the industry side of things
Speed is your Helmet

Go talk with Dave Gilbert at Madera Parachute Center. I dout the drop zone jumpers there will be a steady source of clients, since it's a small dz, but you may have some jumper interest at other local dz's within the valley. Possibly Lodi, Byron, Hollister, Monterey, Skydunce and Skydive Sacramento. It will take someone to make a sign up sheet for the days your willing to be there, and you may want to go as far as taking prepaid tickets before you make the flights up, as unfortunatly skydivers sometimes are known to sign up for things, then not show up..... :S Good luck.

www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

the others organized a free (female) topless jump from the helo,

Pics or it didn't happen.
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

the others organized a free (female) topless jump from the helo,

Pics or it didn't happen.

I was there. They geared up about 30 ft from where I was packing, and then ran past me to get on the helicopter. Spectacular.B| I've got a lot of mental snapshots, but can't really download those. [:/]:D