CanuckInUSA

What if

DZ.COM has no shortage of safety nazis ... and this isn't a bad thing. The safety nazis are just trying to make sure others know of the dangers of this sport and to not repeat the mistakes made by our predecessors. But what do you think would happen if [insert the name of your most/least favorite safety nazi here] was to mess up and hurt themselves jumping? Besides having to deal with the pain and agony, one of my biggest fears of messing up one of my jumps is having to deal with all the judgemental people out there. Maybe I'm mistaken but I've got to believe that if one of us was to show up on an incidents report after telling others to be careful, that the DZ.COM community would absolutely flame the shit out of this injured person. So would you flame an injured safety nazi after they got hurt? I'm guessing most of you would.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

It would depend on what they did. Anyone can make a mistake. But if it was, say, a 500-jump safety nazi who hooked in under his canopy loaded at 2:1, I'd flame his ass. And I expect the same if that happens to be me.

(Kind of a throwback to the motorcycle thread, eh?)

If its an injury swooping, I can't say it would really be fair to attack them, because every swooper eats dirt periodcally, its just part of the learning curve. The safest safety nazi will still leave a divot from time to time, its unavoidable. How big of a divot is acceptable?, now thats where the debate should start.............lol :o

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

In all honesty the sport can bite the safest in the butt and I wouldn't flame the nazi. I'm sick of flaming and blaming since after all, we are all supossed to be brothers and sisters in air... I;ve been really trying to refactor my life to strangely enough - follow your tagline - I've been trying not to worry about the things I don't have control over (i.e. other people and their actions)...

-- (N.DG) "If all else fails – at least try and look under control." --

"to err is human.."

everyone, anyone at anytime can make a mistake.... its up to the individual to determine what an acceptible margin of error (for them) and to accept the concequesces of breaking that envelope..

ive seen lots of silly things i would never try, and done a number of things other people have said were 'silly, stupid, nuts' etc...

risk management is a very personal decision, no one else can decide what level is acceptable for you. I'd never flame anyone for fucking up, making a simple mistake (and turning into a wall) or because they went 'to big' for their ability and hammered in....

its not MY life your risking... so be as stupid as you think you can handle...at least you wont die on the couch....;)

safest safety nazi will still leave a divot from time to time, its unavoidable.

There it is. That sums it up.

Now, lets say I biffed in on a regular swoop. Say I just screwed up and bailed off my rears onto my toggles too late from a lower turn and skipped along the ground. With the speeds we're doing that could very easily result in a broken "insert here" or worse. Should I be flamed, well I guess that's debatable. Instead I'd look at it that no matter who you are (or think you are) it can happen to you.

Now, alternatively if I'd tried some stupid stunt without any planning or practicing and something went wrong, then flame away.

Anyone can (and does) make mistakes in this sport. Sometimes we get away with it, sometimes we don't. That, however, is no excuse for not adhering to reasonable safety measures.

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

You're a "Safety Nazi" Steve? :P

My answer is "depends". A little "flaming" to ANY of us for something truly STUPID, for humilty, is not necessarily a bad thing. If you can't "suck it up and handle it", and recognize/admit to when it is DESERVED, then that is your OWN short-coming to reconcile. I've been there, done that (been "stupid" that is). I don't toss rocks just arbitrarily either, from within my own glass house.

Sure hope now I don't actually DO something STUPID myself after having said that, any time soon! :)

Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

Second Response:

One's MOST FAVORITE "Safety Nazi"...
Leave him/her alone. He/she is a GREAT person & just made a HUMAN mistake. Why do we all feel the need to "flame"?

One's LEAST FAVORITE "Safety Nazi"...
That person is a MORON, and I've ALWAYS KNOWN they didn't really have a clue as to what they were talking about, and was otherwise just a divot waiting to happen!

Hey, one "calls 'em as he/she sees 'em"! ;):)

Again, ...BLUES! Summer is slowly returning!! B|
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

That's probably pretty accurate.
It's a hard question in a way for me to answer because, well, I don't really flame folks. Not much point to it.

Dissecting situations is different. But you can usually do that without calling someone a moron.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Dissecting situations is different. But you can usually do that without calling someone a moron.

But one only needs to read that fatal motorcycle thread in the Bonfire to know that flaming and judging others is a favorite past time of many (not all) DZ.COMers (despite what the results of this poll say). :S

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

But one only needs to read that fatal motorcycle thread in the Bonfire to know that flaming and judging others is a favorite past time of many (not all) DZ.COMers (despite what the results of this poll say). :S

Can that moto thread be simply summarized?

It seems to be human nature to view those who take smaller risks than oneself as pansies, and those who take greater perceived risks as morons. It's not a conscious, rational tendency, so it's unlikely to show up in a poll.

Nevermind the tendency after a fatality to want to believe 'it wouldn't happen to me.'

Having often been on the opposite side of some of the 'nazis,' I'm not going to flame someone who made an error, or was dealt a bad situation and couldn't beat it. But if he set himself up for failure...different matter. Choosing not to carry an AAD might qualify- though I'm not going to flame the dead. Tiny reserve definitely does.

Same rules apply if I screw up.