Mazz

Walk me though AFF.

I show up on the weekend to my local DZ (Elsinore/San Diego). I have enough cash to complete AFF. Describe my experience. from jump 1 to Jump 8.

Will I be the only Student?
Are people generally friendly or Cliquey?
Will I feel welcomed or be treated as an outsider?
How is the learning environment? Fast paced and rigorous or laid back but thorough?
High possibility of having to repeat jumps?
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

Go there and see for yourself.

would be great to know what to expect before spending $2000 and driving 2 1/5 hours each way.
In the Navy, you can't put your hands in your pockets but I was always told not to put my hands in my pockets by people with their hands in their pockets. Kinda funny huh?

Probably not, but the class is taylored to each.

Both some times, you can gravitate to what you like.

You will be welcomed.

How is the learning environment? Fast paced and rigorous or laid back but thorough?
The environement depends a lot on you, the Instructors can only go as fast as you can go.

Unless your a perfect person in all things you do think to repeat about two jumps in the catergories.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

This isn't the kind of sport where you should say things like "walk me through ____." And many of your questions are subjective - what you find friendly, others might see a clingy and unsocial. Pace could be easy or fast, depending on how you take to it. I think most DZs are pretty friendly to newcomers, but it's a two way street.

By personal experience, I think it's fair to say that Elsinore is very friendly to students/low timers/visitors. If someone complains about that location, my suspicion is it is the person. Only one day at San Diego so I can't speak to it.

Calling Manifest on a weekday (weekends are crazed, so you could get a false impression if they need to blow you off) and asking these questions is a good start.

Every drop zone does things a little differently. Including training. And the people that skydive their regularly are going to be different from DZ to DZ. The best way to get to know what's going on is just to go there, hang out, drink beer, and ask lots of questions. It's impossible to know how a particular DZ operates unless you go there and experience it yourself. One guarantee: you will spend lots of money and you will make lots of new friends and drink lots of beer. Oh, and you'll have fun too.
"For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Elsinore is a great dropzone and I love going there.
The people are very friendly and i'm sure you will be glad you went there. Every time i've been there they have been AFF students on the loads.

Don't worry about repeating jumps. If you need to repeat one it's not that big of deal. A lot of people have to repeat levels. Your lucky because you have a wind tunnel about 30 minutes from the DZ so if your having troubles you can always go work on it in there.

Also once your off student status be sure to check out the "Excel" program they have. Basically it's free organizing for all experience levels. So won't have any problems meeting other people and getting on jumps with them

I have only jumped at Elsinore (for the most part) and that is where I learned to jump, so I am biased.

But that being said, I not only paid for myself, I recently just finished helping my daughter pay for her training at Elsinore.

We just did our first jump together on Tuesday, it was a blast.

If you do decided to come to Elsinore I suggest you take your First Jump Course during the week if possible. Mainly because the class size will be smaller, therefore the class will go quicker and you will get more 1 on 1 training. I went on a Saturday and there were 8 of us in my FJC, my daughter went on a Monday and was the only student.

Elsinore is a very friendly DZ, I do not mingle easily and have still made lots of friends down there. But keep in mind lots of students come and go, after your 3rd or 4th jump it will become clear how serious you are. But if you are a hot chick you will get VERY good treatment from the moment you step on the DZ!

You will be made to feel very welcome by most peeps you meet. Of course some jumpers wont notice you either way. The instructors are awesome, very understanding and patient with all types of students.

You kind of learn at your own pace, I did the entire A license in 4 weeks, it took my daughter 8 months to complete it. You can easily complete AFF in 3 days if the weather is good, specially during the week, lots of visting jumpers from Europe so lots of loads going all day long.

Just about every student I know has to repeat at least one level (most only one tho), I did, my daughter did, the wind tunnel most likely will prevent that (u can substitute level 4 jump for tunnel time at Perris, thru the school at Elsinore) I did the tunnel but wanted to still do level 4 (I purchased the entire 25 jump package w/o tunnel time) I had to repeat 4 cuz I blew it, but it was a couple of the instructors that helped things "click" for me.

Its been a year and I still get tips and advice from them on a regular basis.

My daughter had to repeat level 7 but she skipped level 3 so it worked out even for her.

But some students breeze thru AFF with no repeats at all.

I did 1 balloon jump at Perris but I have no knowledge of their training program and I know nothing about San Diegos either but I know more than 1 employee of the Tunnel at Perris has come over to Elsinore to do their AFF.

Whatever you decide, good luck but if you decide to jump at Elsinore let me know when and I will say hello, I live a few minutes away and jump/hang out there alot! Also if you are told a story about why you should not fly too close to the packing tent on your final approach..., well you too can learn from my stupidity!!! God knows, I did!

EDIT: yeah like Morrison said, once u get ur A u can participate in Excel, its basically free belly coaching from world class skydivers. Mel, Julia, Steve, April....so many great jumpers that offer their time and skills for free. Melanie Curtis is the greatest coach, she has such a way with words and explaining things like exits and such. And no matter how bad you screw up, they just help you fix the issue, no judgement or insults...most new jumper suffer from performance anxiety, I know I do, but these folks will help curb that!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

Thanks for the responses so far. Appreciate the help.

Mazz, we are going to be doing night jumps this Saturday (hopefully the weather is good), it might be a good day/evening to come out and meet some locals.

I know I plan on hanging out after the jumps and pounding a few. I dont drink often, but I dont do night jumps often either!!!
"Tell ya the truth, I don't think this is a brains kind of operation."

As a frequent visitor to Elsinore (I fly in from utah in the winter months), it's one of the most friendly DZ's out there. Great people, fantastic vibe, very education-oriented...
Hang around after dark, even if you're not terribly social (I'm not), you'll find the antics and laughter to be very entertaining. You'll be welcomed. It's a great place to take your AFF, too.

I have enough cash to complete AFF.

Many students have the mistaken notion that "completing AFF" is the main goal. Actually the goal should be to get licensed. That is a bigger (but quite reasonable) task. I only had to repeat one AFF level... but I had much more trouble with the more complex tasks required to get my license. (My personal challenges were instability at deployment after tracking and landing accuracy.)

Your options are rather limited if you only complete AFF and don't get your license. (Search recent posts about this topic.)

AFF typically requires at least 7-8 jumps (more if repeats). An A-license requires at least 25 jumps and the completion of specific skills. Many of us required more than 25 jumps to get all the skills done.:|

You will have a grand time. Welcome to spending all your money and time on jumping. ;););)

All previous advice about beer is quite correct. When in doubt regarding a skydiving social issue, never underestimate the power of beer. :D:D:D:D:D
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

You have gotten some great responses. Suffice it to say, you will have a great experience at Elsinore, and they will make you feel welcome. Hang out, act friendly, bring beer, and you will soon find some of your best friends are skydivers.

Good luck and have fun,

Doc
"We saved your gear. Now you can sell it when you get out of the hospital and upsize!!" "K-Dub"

"