DeeDee13

Okay to try different dropzones as a student?

We started working toward our license at a DZ in NY. However, we came across one closer to our hometown that we wanted to try as well. However, they work on different training programs. Is is best to stay put where we are until a certain level? Or should we try different DZ's? I listed the two trainings that they have. The first one is the current AIF I am taking. The second is the one I want to try. I don't want to go backward in the program and repeat if I don't have to. When I called the second place, they want me to re-do Level 4. I'm already on L5.

Current DZ:
FIRST JUMP tandem
SECOND JUMP - tandem
THIRD JUMP -Possibly the last tandem jump.
COURSE
LEVEL FOUR - one instructor
LEVEL FIVE - one insturctor
LEVEL SIX -one instructor
LEVEL SEVEN - one instructor (Exit, C-of-A, release(hover))
LEVEL EIGHT - one instructor (Poised Exit ( No Contact))
LEVEL NINE - SOLO JUMP
LEVEL 10-13 COACH JUMPS
(Start Coach jumps at 10)

Possible Future DZ
FIRST JUMP AFF w/ course
SECOND JUMP - 2 instuctors
THIRD JUMP -2 instructors
LEVEL FOUR -2 instuctors
LEVEL FIVE - 2 instuctors
LEVEL SIX -2 instuctors
LEVEL SEVEN - 2 instuctors
LEVEL EIGHT - 2 instuctors
LEVEL NINE - 2 instructors
LEVEL TEN - 2 instructors
LEVEL ELEVEN - 2 instructors
L12 -18 - Coach Jumps
(Don't start coach jumps until 12, more $$$)

Is one more standard than the other? I'm very happy at the DZ we started with, but I want to get as many jumps in as possible. The second DZ is located 30 minutes from my work.

You may want to double check that the second place actually uses two instrucotrs through level 11. If so, this is very rare, and will cost you quite a bit extra to pay the second instructor for all those levels.

For reference, most DZs on a straight AFF program will lose the second instructor after level 3 or 4.

Aside from that, why the repeat for level 4? Has it been more than 30 days since your last jumps (or will it have been more than 30 days when you show up for your next jump)?

If both of these DZ are close to each other, I would guess that they know about each others program.

Am I correct to assume that you have three tandems and one freefall with an instructor? If so, you may be closer to level 4 of the program at the new DZ, as opposed to lv 5 at your current DZ.

Again, I would really look into this business with two instructors for 11 jumps. Keep in mind that an extra instructor will cost at least $30 per jump, so right there the new place will set you back an exrta $200, not including the extra level 4.

Not that money should dictate your training methods, but provided that both DZ offer a safe operation, and complete program, it doesn't hurt to save a few hundred bucks.

Are there other differences? How about aircraft? A Cessna DZ will limit both the alitude you jump from (generally around 10k or 11K) and the number of jumps you can make in a day.

A DZ with a turbine aircraft (larger plane, holds 12 to 22 people) will get you up a little higher (12k to 14k) and be able to get you up quicker and more frequently due to higher capacity, faster climbing plane.

Also call and find out what kind of equipment the other DZ uses. If you started off on a single handle system and the other is a dual handle system or vice versa it wouldn't be a good idea to switch between the two.
Kim Mills
USPA D21696
Tandem I, AFF I and Static Line I

Yeah, unless there's a mighty good reason (i.e. safety or massive personality conflict), stick with the first place at least until you're cleared to self-supervise. Learning to skydive can be pretty overwhelming; no need to add additional confusion by changing equipment, aircraft, people, procedures, locations, etc. Not to mention that the second place looks to be a lot more expensive!

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." - Carl Sagan

The second option switched to one instructor. I'm just not sure at one point. However, I am use to using one instructor at my current drop zone. I have done the 3 tandems and 1 single instructor jump. I checked out their aircraft's and my current one has a Twin Otter, Porter, and Cessna. The other one looks like they have at least have the Twin Otter. Maybe I will wait until I am on my coach jumps and move over the other place. That might just make it easier.

Unless the DZ is significantly closer then stick with the first one. You'll come to find that you learn more as you get to know not only your instructors but fellow jumpers. If you're just someone who's blowing around between DZs then nobody will get to know you.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

when you have two places running two different programs, their levels might not match up. So doing a level 5 at one place might be like doing a 4 at the other. This could be another reason why the second place wants you to do a level four - if their 4 is equivalent to the other's 5. From your post I can't tell what your learning objectives are on each level in either program so I can't see the equivalents. So far all I can see is that you'll be paying more at place #2 but what you get out of it isn't apparent. Also, unless you are mistaken or misinformed about place #2, I can't see justification for two Instructors that far into the program. Straight up old fashioned AFF (seven levels) dropped the second Jump Master after L3. What is the benefit of two all the way through? What's the reason they give?

I found out they switch to one instructor. I'm just not sure at one point. It's still more expensive:

First Place
IAF Level 1 (First jump, Tandem)$195
IAF Level 2 and 3 (Tandem)$170
IAF Comprehensive Course$140
IAF Level 4-8 $145 (I'm here on Level 5)
IAF Level 9 (Solo) $50
IAF Level 10-12 $90
IAF Level 13 (with coach) $65
Solo's $50 w/ gear

Second Place:
AFF Student Jumps
Jump # Category Level Price Comments
1 A 1 $315.00
2 B 1 $200.00
3 C 1 $200.00 (wants me to start here)
4 C 2 $155.00 (or here. Just said "C")
5 D 1 $155.00
6 D 2 $155.00
7 E 1 $155.00
8 E 2 $155.00
9 F 1 $155.00
10 F 2 $85.00
11 F 3 $85.00
$1,815.00
Coach Jumps & Check Dive
Jump # Category Level Price Comments
12 G 1 $75.00
13 G 2 $75.00
14 G 3 $75.00
15 H 1 $75.00
16 H 2 $75.00
17 H 3 $75.00
18 Check Dive $95.00 AFF Instructor Required.
$545.00
AFF & Coaching - All Jump Total $2,360.00 USPA - A license awarded

I started my AFF in Sebastian and I wanted to try a new DZ so I did level 3 in Clewiston. (both DZ's in Florida) Sebastian uses an otter and when I went to Clewiston they put me up in a cessna. I think that small cessna had a lot to do with it but I was terrified in Clewiston. Everyone was really nice and they were very thorough but I was terrified! I think it was a combination of the tiny plane, the new people and a new landing area that I wasn't comfortable with. For that reason alone I would say stick to one DZ. Another thing that I like about the otter is, as someone said previously, you get a lot more altitude. = more time to finishyour dive flow.
During level 3 I spent so much time worrying about the landing area in the plane that I almost landed it. I psyched myself out.