skybytch

Nice tandem story

Today a man did a tandem for his 70th birthday at Skydance Skydiving in Davis, CA. Not a big deal to most of us, right?

Well, in this case, it is a big deal. This man's life was saved by a heart transplant he received back in 1996. The donor of the heart that is still beating in his chest was a skydiver. Today he made a jump in her honor.

Check out some of the news coverage -

Local CBS affiliate
Local ABC affiliate
Local newspaper

A big "Good on ya" to all involved for making skydiving look good to the general public and for further spreading the word about the importance of organ donation. :)
And if you haven't already, please make arrangements to have your organs donated should anything happen to you. The person whose life you save could very well show up at the dz and take at least part of you jumping again someday.

Hi sky,

And if you haven't already, please make arrangements to have your organs donated should anything happen to you. The person whose life you save could very well show up at the dz and take at least part of you jumping again someday.

I did it as soon as it became something I could do. Must be over 30 yrs ago by now.

The sad part is that in this state, Oregon, your heirs can override your wishes. We need to change that.

Great story and it needs wider distribution,

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for the post ...What a beautiful tribute to life! Makes me proud that it took place at the DZ that I frequent as often as possible !! Been on the organ doner list since I had my drivers license and can't think of having it any other way. Hope to see you soon..
If flying is piloting a plane.. then swimming is driving a boat. I know why birds sing.. I skydive.

What a beautiful story! Very touching, and I love the response from Mr. Jennings when asked if he was afraid during the jump:

"Your fear goes away," he said of the moment after he jumped from the plane. "Well, remember that it's my first time, but that heart has been through it a hundred times before."

What a wonderful tribute to the young woman who died and to her & her family that were so generous in donating her heart!

Thanks so much for sharing that!
Karen

ive always has my drivers license indicate im an organ donor, is there anything more you need to do?

me too, it was 7 bux if you signed up as a donor and 14 bux if you didnt ... the way I looked at it was I wont be using the organs anyways so might as well have someone else have em AND make 7 bux while doing so :ph34r: ...
- Neil

Never make assumptions! That harmless rectangle could be two triangles having sex ...

ive always has my drivers license indicate im an organ donor, is there anything more you need to do?

IMHO, the most important thing you can do is discuss your wishes with the loved ones who are most likely to be making the decision to donate your organs. Depending on your situation, that might be your parents, your spouse or partner, or someone else that you've designated as having medical power of attorney. Make sure they are aware that it is important to you, since their actions are likely to ultimately determine whether your organs get donated.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke