aykay

Is there a shortage of instructors?

Im coming over to live and work in the US next month. I sent resumes all over the country and was surprised when pretty much all of them replied saying there was work available. I thought it would be more difficult seeing as though there are plenty of people out there with more experience then me.

Are a lot of DZ's struggling to find staff?

Im coming over to live and work in the US next month. I sent resumes all over the country and was surprised when pretty much all of them replied saying there was work available. I thought it would be more difficult seeing as though there are plenty of people out there with more experience then me.

Shortage. That depends on location. Also it depends on who is willing to work full time or on an every weekend basis.

I work some weekends but not all so if someone wants my job, they'll get it.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

IMHO work depends on the end user. If I was a DESPERATE DZO I might define work as five or six AFF/Tandem a week as work available, not a lot of work yet work the same.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Exactly.. many a DZO's would love to have staff standing around to help anyone that walks in the door at the drop of a dime, the issue is that with that many staff no one is really getting all that many work jumps and if you don't have other work then you are too broke to even go to another DZ for another job.

The better DZ's have staffing at just a bit over their student numbers so everyone can put food on their table and not have full timers hating the part timers for taking all the work jumps if there are so few work jumps to go around at overstaffed numbers.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

We used to have a surplus of amateur part-time staff and no full-time staff, then - a decade ago - the boss started recruiting ex-pat Canadian instructors who had been working in the USA.

For the last two years we have struggled with one full-time instructor/rigger/fuel truck driver/etc. (me) and only handful of amateur part-time staff.
Hopefully the new full-time instructor will prove to be professional.

Whistler and Victoria are also trying to recruit instructors.
The bottom line is, there is plenty of work for professional skydiving instructors. Amateurs need not apply.