Jeth

Solo jump - do you ask for a pin check??

I do a gear check when I arrive at the DZ *every* time. Then I check all my pins when I pack and put my rig down. When I put the rig on, I just briefly check the main pin is okay, especially if the rig has been moved. Before I get into the plane I feel is the flap is open. Before exit I check it again, if somehow it's open, then I ask for a pin check from whoever is sitting behind me.

When I used to ask for pin checks every time, I often used to find that my flap was open during freefall. I contributed this to the people doing my pin check not knowing exactly how and where to tuck my flap in. (I have a Naro container, where the flap is most secure between covers 2 and 3-4.)

Our team knows eachother's gear well, and I have no problem asking anyone in my team for a pin check. In fact we check eachother's pins on team jumps. We are a bunch of anal f*ckers and don't like anyone touching our rigs, but we pack for eachother when necessary and check eachother's gear.

Silly jeth. Always someone you can trust on the SDC planes. Nobody would think you were weird or stupid for asking for the gear check. BTW, i got a gear check sunday before i jumped. We all do it. :)

Ok Sunny, I believe you. :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Saftey first and always check yourself then get someone else to check you. never be worried if you don't know anyone on the load no one should question you about asking, if unsure ask a known instructor. End off the day you are ultimately responsable for yourself, so always ask;).

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

This is a subject near and dear to my heart.

I have known too many people who came to grief, but would have had an uneventful jump if they had checked their gear one last time before exit. For some years now, I have made an announcement at about 2 minutes before exit (typically at 10,000 feet) in which I ask people to check their straps and handles once more. I should probably throw in pin checks, but people generally do so anyway.

Occasionally the Cool People will roll their eyes - particularly if I'm at an unfamiliar dropzone - but they generally humor me (and occasionally find the odd misrouted strap or inaccessible handle on their color-coordinated rigs).

If Scotty Carbone or Orly King is on the load, I tend to let them make the announcement. Their approach is somewhat different, but the intent is the same.

As far as asking for pin checks goes, I can tell where the closing loop is on the pin by feel, and check it myself routinely. I may ask someone to tuck in my bridle if it feels like it has become unstowed, but i check the pin again thereafter.

If I ask for a pin/gear check, I am confident that someone who takes the time to do so will be careful and attentive. Someone just off student status is likely to be overly cautious if anything, and someone with 10,000 jumps will give it a competent inspection.

I have jumped all over the world, and I have never been to a DZ where asking for a pin/gear check was a problem, or one where it was treated as superfluous.

The only time I have ever been hurt in this sport was when I had a question about a procedure that I did not ask the owner of the equipment I borrowed, since he was busy talking to the pilot at the time. In retrospect, I realize that if I had interrupted him it would not have been considered rude, and I might have avoided a few weeks in a cast.

If you have a safety-related issue, bring it up. It greatly improves your future in the sport.

Blue skies,

Winsor

There are dead skydivers whose deaths may have been prevented had they gotten a visual pin check before exiting the airplane – I have NEVER read an incident report about someone being injured or killed because they asked one of their fellow skydivers for a visual pin check before exit.

Just because I do not know someone, I shouldn’t ask them for a pin check? That notion is absurd! I have asked strangers and even someone who doesn’t like me at all (and has told me so) for a visual pin check, after all, we are all skydivers right? We should trust each other, on the plane personal issues should not be a concern.

I believe in teaching the importance of visual pin checks so much, I even have my AFF students pin check me, a trend that has caught on with other instructors at my DZ. If I am doing my job, my students should know how to give a pin check. First couple of solos the student gives a pin check under the direct supervision of another skydiver (prefer an instructor or seasoned skydiver), upper level students check my pin unassisted and unsupervised. If they have to make an adjustment I will have it double checked of course but I jump a Vector, am a very meticulous packer and have yet to need an adjustment to my gear on the airplane. I only have 3200 skydives so I am still young in the sport (I say that humbly and sincerely); eventually someone may spot a problem with my gear during a pin check and save my life. I really want to have a steak and make love to my wife tonight so I will do all that I can to ensure my survival.

On the way to altitude I check my gear and do visuals on those around me repeatedly (have caught misrouted chest straps before), After I get a visual pin check from another skydiver, I always reach back and finger-check my pin as well just before jump run.

So my answer to your inquiry is YES, get a visual pin check before each skydive. You want to have a nice dinner this evening right? Do all you can to ensure your survival.

Train a lot, then when you have it down like second nature train some more and then when you have thousands of jumps, train some more!!!
Mykel AFF-I10
Skydiving Priorities: 1) Open Canopy. 2) Land Safely. 3) Don’t hurt anyone. 4) Repeat…

I've always been given a pin check, until I was cleared for self-supervision, then I made sure to ask for them. But I was told by one of my instructors that no one should touch your equipment before they've at least been briefed on it. Since every rig/canopy is different, you should ask someone who knows your equipment to check it for you. [i.e.] how your bridle is routed, how your pin is seated, main and reserve, collapsible pilot chute, and a hundred other things I haven't thought of. The main reason I say this is because I jump a left-handed BOC, and that's bound to freak someone out, and tempt them to start messing with my gear, which could be bad. So I think you should arrange for a pin check ON THE GROUND, with someone who is familiar with your equipment.

Blue Skies and be safe,

Skydude.
PULL!! or DIE!!

Ok Sunny, I believe you. :)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I may not do gear checks in a military manner: hooting, hollering, stomping up and down,etc., but I casually scan other people's gear while walking to the plane and whenever I get bored during the airplane ride.
Two decades ago I lost count of how many times I yelled at people walking to the airplane: "Bill! Where is your cutaway handle?"
or
"Ouch! Honest Sally, I was not staring at your boobs. I was wondering if your chest strap was routed correctly?"