somethinelse

CANOPY CONTROL CLASS info...Pleez?

Barely got my A before my DZ closed this past fall.

Now I need to redo the ground course and psych myself up to get up and out and refamiliarize myself with everything all over again. I will use coaching for a while to get my basics and good form down well.

I see that a Michigan DZ is offering a CANOPY CONTROL class sometime soon...

Should I wait til I get refamiliarized with jumping again BEFORE I take a class like this?

Typically are CANOPY CONTROL classes offered thru out the jumping seaon or mostly just at the beginning?

I'd love any input anyone can give me!

THANX.

(edited for spelling :$)

I'm not familiar if the DZ is getting a "high profile" canopy course (such as Scott Miller, Jim Slaton,etc...) or if it is being run by a local. If it is high profile definitely attend it. It may be a one-time per season opportunity. I don't think it can hurt to attend, even if you aren't current. IT's still education. You might hear or be taught something that will save your life. Welcome back...

blue skies

I was really impressed with Scott Miller when he was at West Point this past year.Wish he could come back this year.(he is booked)He answered some simple questions that I had about stalling Ellipticals.(you don't)By all means attend a canopy course.People are really surprised when they find out just how little they know about how their parachutes fly.rob

guys like Scott and Brian Germain tour much of the year - I did Brian's in September last year.

But at our level of need there are quite a few people qualified to help. We're focused on good plane outs and flying the parachute as long as possible, not doing high performance swooping. Get a good person out there with a video camera to record/review your landings as a starting point.

If a good course is available soon, don't think there's any reason to put it off to get more current.

Kelpdiver-
Once again you are a sunshiny ray of encouragement from CA all the way to the moody blue midwest. Thanks for encouraging this out of practice newbie.

Thanx to ya-all who had a part in helping me to figure things out about taking a canopy control class.

I found out more about the Tecumseh (Michigan) DZ's BRIAN GERMAINE'S Canopy Control class...
It has been rescheduled for the beginning of this May and the DZ's still taking reservations for people to take this class.

I will seriously consider it. But truly it depends on time and money constraints.
...So far (this year) it seems like EVERYTHING in my life is in short supply[:/]!

Blues!
-Lila.

Thanx for the additional link for Brian's Canopy control Course Schedule!

I've also gotten info from Skydive Tecumseh in Tecumseh, Michigan that the course was rescheduled (from May) to June 3-5.

From all the feed back I've gotten, it does sound real good! But I'll need to see where I'm at with my jumping and money situation before I can make any firm committment, though[:/]!

Blues - LiLa.

I am going to Brians course and I will not be able to jump. I have been told that other people have done the same. So I would not worry about where you are at with jumping, and I would find a way to get the money. You will learn new skills and this will make you safer.

I am going to Brians course and I will not be able to jump. I have been told that other people have done the same. So I would not worry about where you are at with jumping, and I would find a way to get the money. You will learn new skills and this will make you safer.

I second that! I attended Brian's course a few weeks ago, and I wasn't able to jump because I was (and am still) working on getting my shoulder stronger (6 months post-op!).

The information in the course is so very important and useful for every jumper, no matter what experience level you're at. Since I couldn't jump, I watched and listened carefully to the rest of the participants who could.

Make like a sponge and absorb whatever information you can get while you're not jumping!

_Pm
__
"Scared of love, love and aeroplanes...falling out, I said takes no brains." -- Andy Partridge (XTC)