skydude2000

Payments

Hey guys,

feel free to move this, I'm mainly just venting. I've spent a long time looking for my first rig, and now that I've found it, my bank won't let me have my own money to buy the damn thing!!!

I have the cash in my account, I even asked my credit card company to increase my limit for this single, momentous purchase. I got denied, even though I've never carried a balance in my whole life. I've got almost 3x the increase I'm asking for sitting in my chequing account, and they still wouldn't bump my limit. The Post office won't even let me buy a money order for the same amount, either. Bastards!!!

I swear I'm going to close all my accounts and keep the cash in a box under my bed. Assuming an account in the Cayman islands is just as much hassle as my current bank >:(

[/Rant over.]
PULL!! or DIE!!

just do what i did, i had the same problem. over the course of a couple days go to the bank machine and take out your daily allowed limit. then go buy a money order with a great big handful of $20 bills.

may be silly but it works as a go around of the stupid system haha
The Altitude above you, the runway behind you, and the fuel not in the plane are totally worthless
Dudeist Skydiver # 10

I have the cash in my account, I even asked my credit card company to increase my limit for this single, momentous purchase. I got denied, even though I've never carried a balance in my whole life...

I'm sorry--I don't understand. Are you outside Canada right now? In Canada (unlike the USA) all banks operate nationwide...why can't you visit a branch of your bank during business hours and buy a money order from your chequing account?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

Another option: Paypal. It can take cash directly from your bank account.

Paypal also handles currency conversion between countries it deals in (this definitely includes Canada and the USA and a number of others). My recollection is that they do currency conversion at an exchange rate competitive with that of the major banks (ie they do charge a modest spread but it is nothing like western union and such).

Paypal will probably require that you verify the account first for a transaction of this size (they make a couple of small deposits <$1 and then ask you to verify the amount) and then the funds must clear before the recipient gets them free and clear. All this will take a number of days--maybe a bit over a week.

My only concern would be with whether doing this transaction as your first Paypal transaction would trigger any kind of fraud detection and cause a huge hassle. Anyone have any experience on this?
"It's hard to have fun at 4-way unless your whole team gets down to the ground safely to do it again!"--Northern California Skydiving League re USPA Safety Day, March 8, 2014

I have the cash in my account, I even asked my credit card company to increase my limit for this single, momentous purchase.

You can pay enough on your credit card to make a negative balance if you want.

I've encountered only one bank which didn't have debit cards that can be used everywhere credit cards can (Countrywide used to have ATM cards only; real PITA).

Most people will take a certified check from the same country.

You can buy multiple postal money orders to get around the limit. I used three for cash-on-delivery with my first rig.

As noted above Paypal is an option even between countries (I've sold stuff to people in Europe and Australia, and bought from Australia). The seller pays 3% of the transaction and I think the cross-border and currency conversion fees so this may affect your price.

Adam,

Depending on where or who your buying the rig from, consider a wire transfer.

When I bought my first rig thats what I did. The fee's were fairly nominal.. I think $30-40ish. Just beware that there are less safety measures in place as say paypal or your credit cards fraud protection.

Anyways, thats what worked for me.. because I ran into the same problem you did.

-Jim

Thanks,

I just tried making an email transfer, but apparently because it's to a US bank, it couldn't be delivered. Cancelled the payment. I suppose I'll just bite the bullet and do a wire transfer.

I wasn't sure I could dump money on my credit card, even though that would probably be the safest way, and then I didn't really know how an individual receives a payment by a credit card.

I'll double check with the seller, and my bank again tommorrow.
PULL!! or DIE!!

I wasn't sure I could dump money on my credit card, even though that would probably be the safest way, and then I didn't really know how an individual receives a payment by a credit card.

I'll double check with the seller, and my bank again tommorrow.

Most of my credit card banks won't allow payments over the current outstanding balance. But if you call the bank and offer to send them the balance first, that might get them onboard with increasing the limit for the transaction, then dropping it down. Seems silly if they don't want to - they make a percentage on the transaction.

If the seller is a vendor, they should have solutions too. If private, harder. Paypal works, but the fees have gotten rather unpleasant compared to once upon a time.