atsaubrey

TSA and flights.

Since someone revived this thread and I have just (Jan 5th 2005) traveled from Australia to Miami WITH my rig as cabin luggage I thought I'd l;et you know how it went.
Well there NOTHing to say really,:) I felt certain that there would be questions asked at LAX, what with the way they screen passengers and bags (shoes off, hats off, jumpers off, belt off, lift your baggy t shirt up:S:S) but nothing:)I was very happy with the way it all went:)I'll let you know how it all goes when I return to Oz in 3 weeks:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I have taken my rig as carry on when flying many times (at least 8 that I can think of in the last year alone). Flying back to the UK from Phoenix I encountered the first ever minor problem with doing so. I went through security with a group of 5 other skydivers most of whom were carrying their rigs on as well. I was the only one to have any issue with my rig.

When my rig went through the x-ray machine, the TSA man asked if I had "an inflation canister in my parachute". It took me a moment to figure out that he meant the Cypres, so I pulled out my Cypres card and showed it to him. He read it, consulted a folder that he had, swabbed the rig and then sent me on my way wishing me a pleasant flight.

So no real problem and nice to know that they knew what they were looking at (but then this was Phoenix airport!).

Vicki

Just to give you folks an update: I just flew to PIA with my rig. I had no problems at Houston Hobby and the only thing that really happened when I was leaving Jacksonville, FL last evening was that the TSA wanted to re-run the rig back through the X-Ray machine in one of those grey trays separate from my kitbag with all of it's other contents. Clearly in line with the TSA guidelines as published on their website. I just made asked that the TSA guy not grab anything metal on the rig and he complied without much a fuss. They finally just did a Eds wipedown of the rig and it passed. I put it back in my kitbag and went to my gate. Seems that the reserve pilot chute spring sets these guys off more than the Cypres. They think it looks like a detonator. Most of the TSA guys are familiar with the rigs though. The TSA guy told me they had two come through earlier. I guess my Mirage just looked a little different somehow. Rigs with pop-tops (Racer) or a similar arrangement such as a Wings or Javelin you folks might have an easier time explaining the reserve pilot chute. All-in All not a bad trip but the weather in Jacksonville was not jumpable any of the four days. It was just too cold and windy.

Chris

Where can I get a Cypres II card, to show at security in case I need to? I bought a used rig and have no documentation that came with the Cypres II.

I have never had an issue the few times I've carried on my rig. They do usually wipe it down with some cloth (which I assume is to check for explosives residue...)

TSA Website on Parachutes (good to print)
http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1147.shtm

From Vigil (couldn't find a cypres one but they look the same)
http://www.vigil.aero/files/1997.pdf

Since this thread was old I thought I'd update it from my experience. I fly to Arizona and San Diego a lot lately to visit my son's family and new GD. I always carry on my rig and my back pack with all my computer and electronic gear as I don't want those clowns in baggage handling it. ( no offense meant if you work there and are not one of those clowns).

It appears that at the smaller airports I tend to get the gear bag whipped down most of the time. At the larger airports they most often don't even notice it. I have never had more than a couple of minutes wait while they checked it. Usually its a nice talk about skydiving.

As to fitting I follow the USPA guidelines and only have my rig in the gear bag. I carry a printout from the USPA and the TSA about parachutes but have never had to show them. My Wings container holds a Nav 280 and a PD 281 and its a big ass rig. I have never had an issue with fitting it and even with my computer bag no one has ever asked me to check anything.

Just a litttle update. I just travelled to Philly on Southwest from Dallas Love Field to jump at Crosskeys. No problems carrying my rig either way. I had it in an Eagle Creek 22" rollaboard duffle. They didn't say boo at either airport and when I left Philly they had a fire drill going on at Terminal E and I felt for sure they were going to possibly swab down the rig but they didn't.