superjim

Aerodyne Senei

Anyone else notice that this canopy has a minimum jump weight??? Whats the deal with this??? 121 SQ foot canopy with 21 cells maximum jump wieght of 290 lbs and a minimum of weight of 193 lbs??? Someone clue me in. Does this thing produce more lift then a standard canopy or???

Well if you look at PD website they also state min weight(Velocity)
X- braced are usually designed to be flown at a higher WL above 2.0. And yes the sensei i Xbraced so it would produce more lift then a standard canopy.
So if you plan on jumping a sensei at lower WL save your money and buy something else.

And like some else stated it might not perform well if you go under min weight.

Anyone else notice that this canopy has a minimum jump weight??? Whats the deal with this??? 121 SQ foot canopy with 21 cells maximum jump wieght of 290 lbs and a minimum of weight of 193 lbs??? Someone clue me in. Does this thing produce more lift then a standard canopy or???

That's nothing new. The Nova had a minimum wing loading because it was unstable in turbulance without enough weight hanging from it.

I loaded mine 2.3:1 and never had a problem. Of course the Nova was eventually grounded by the manufacturer after several low altitude collapses.

Oops.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

> Does this thing produce more lift then a standard canopy or???

All functioning canopies produce exactly the same lift, and is exactly equal to the magnitude of the vector sum of your weight and drag. If it wasn't you'd accelerate upwards or downwards.

Some canopies require a minimum load to fly well. Stilettos are like this; below about .9 to 1 they are pretty unstable.

>
All functioning canopies produce exactly the same lift, and is exactly equal to the magnitude of the vector sum of your weight and drag. If it wasn't you'd accelerate upwards or downwards.<

So you are saying that the shape of the airfoil, xbrace to produce a smother topskin etc doesn't play any role in the amount of lift a canopy can produce. if you compare a sabre2 and a velocity of the same size i am quite certain that the velocity is capable of producing more lift, due to having a more effective airfoil.
//JF

> Does this thing produce more lift then a standard canopy or???

All functioning canopies produce exactly the same lift, and is exactly equal to the magnitude of the vector sum of your weight and drag. If it wasn't you'd accelerate upwards or downwards.

Sure.

More relevant issues are how slow can it be trimmed to fly with no vertical speed at a given suspended weight and as that approaches how easy is it to kill the remaining forward speed with an abrupt pitch change.

Newer cross-braced and bi-cell tapered designs go slower before you can't avoid downwards vertical acceleration, and some canopies are decidedly easier to stop when you don't care to start running on landing when that happens.