thekgb2k1

Paratrooper new to skydiving

I am a seasoned army paratrooper that is new to the sport skydiving world. I made my 1st IAD jump a few days ago. I am looking for any REAL advice on a student level about how to progress. My instructor was inpressed with my body possition and canopy controll for my 1st jump. I plan to get my 2nd jump in the next week or so...any advice would be greatly welcome
...always remember when jumping a round...at 100' slip into the wind...keep your feet and knees together...pray to god...and hit all 3 points of contact...FEET, A**, HEAD

I am a seasoned army paratrooper that is new to the sport skydiving world. I made my 1st IAD jump a few days ago. I am looking for any REAL advice on a student level about how to progress. My instructor was inpressed with my body possition and canopy controll for my 1st jump. I plan to get my 2nd jump in the next week or so...any advice would be greatly welcome

You'll have nicer landings than under Army gear. My son was an 11C in the 82nd and generally landed on top of his mortar tube.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

well,, consider making your SL jumps and maybe a couple of hop and pops......... then do some AFF jumps. That is what I would tell my daughters and nephews if they wanted to jump more after their tandems. :)

Not to drag the conversation in a different direction, but the original poster will likely learn from this exchange. Why would you recommend starting on SL (or its equivalent IAD) and then move to AFF?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

my army jumps totla 87 SL jumps with round chutes (T10-C and MC1-1B). Altitudes ranging from 800-1200 AGL from air force transports (C-130, C-141, C-17).
...always remember when jumping a round...at 100' slip into the wind...keep your feet and knees together...pray to god...and hit all 3 points of contact...FEET, A**, HEAD

Since the poster above you is the DZO of the OP's home DZ why wouldn't he go with the program offered?

AFF if not the cure all, it is strong in some areas, weak in others, but in the end if we all do the Instructing right don't all the students end up at the same place? "A" Licensed and 25 or more jumps?

Since the poster above you is the DZO of the OP's home DZ why wouldn't he go with the program offered?

AFF if not the cure all, it is strong in some areas, weak in others, but in the end if we all do the Instructing right don't all the students end up at the same place? "A" Licensed and 25 or more jumps?

If the DZO you are referring to is the poster that suggested the OP make SL's, then hop n pops, then AFF, he obviously offers both disciplines. If that's the case, the OP would be going with the "program offered" either way.

Not sure what you mean that AFF is strong in some areas and weaker in others. If you mean geographically there are areas that have more AFF DZ's, that is true. However, if you mean there are DZ's that have "weak" AFF programs, that should be addressed.

My point was really more about switching disciplnes. There's no need for it and it does have hazards. If a DZ offers AFF, what sense would it make to start on SL and then switch to AFF? You could just start on AFF to begin with.

And by the way, even when instructors DON'T do their jobs right, students still end up with an A license and 25 jumps most of the time. There are, after all, a lot of crap instructors out there, and crap student programs too.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

My point was really more about switching disciplnes. There's no need for it and it does have hazards. If a DZ offers AFF, what sense would it make to start on SL and then switch to AFF? You could just start on AFF to begin with.***

Former Military Airborne S/L'ers do better climbing their way to altitude, rather than having 13.5K thrust upon them. No different than AFF students having a difficult time with suddenly exiting lower on the mandatory HnP's than their normal pull altitude.

If the student is comfortable with an ISP progression from IAD to an eventual AFF, what's the rush to accelerate them. I had a couple of former Airborne guys that were pushed into AFF too soon and walked away. Brought them back and we did S/L's all the way to 10K. Let them take their time. One went on to PRCPs from 10K and while taking longer than most students; enjoyed the slower pace and was extremely inquisitive on the ground in between jumps and became a good skydiver. The other made it to 10 sec delays and just wasn't comfortable with freefall, but loved sunset S/L's and cross-country. Asked if he could come out and just do those every week. (former Captain with the Herd in 'nam). He did it for a couple of years and loved them.

You remember when the ISP came out and the controversy over it. During that time I was one of its cheerleaders because sometimes; we can't force a student to fit any one mold, but can use the ISP to fit their needs. No matter what one thinks of the USPA; imo, one of the best things they've produced is the ISP.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I was an ex-paratrooper and S.F. troop, prior to starting skydiving. When I started sport jumping, I started with four static line jumps prior to freefall. That was the only method offered then.

You'll find many things familiar to you. If you've already stepped out of a perfectly good airplane 80 times, you'll undoubtedly have less fear, and be more aware of what is happening.

Welcome to a whole new world of fun!

If the DZO you are referring to is the poster that suggested the OP make SL's, then hop n pops, then AFF, he obviously offers both disciplines. If that's the case, the OP would be going with the "program offered" either way.

He's jumping at my DZ (Air Capital Drop Zone, Wichita Kansas), we do not have staff, or lift capacity to offer AFF. I don't have an issue with AFF, and occasionally will have a student do an AFF jump or two at some point in their progression if it's deemed appropriate or helpful, and an AFFI happens to be available.

Martin
Experience is what you get when you thought you were going to get something else.

AC DZ

He's jumping at my DZ (Air Capital Drop Zone, Wichita Kansas), we do not have staff, or lift capacity to offer AFF. I don't have an issue with AFF, and occasionally will have a student do an AFF jump or two at some point in their progression if it's deemed appropriate or helpful, and an AFFI happens to be available.

Martin

That makes things a bit clearer. The way it sounded, people routinely start on SL and then switch mid-program to AFF. That begged the question why not just start with one or the other and stay with it.

Do you keep the student on AFF once they have made one AFF jump?
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

The way it sounded, people routinely start on SL and then switch mid-program to AFF. That begged the question why not just start with one or the other and stay with it.

I don't underestimate your considerable experience, but I've come to the belief that there's a lot of merit in a good hybrid program (I've posted on this before). A number of DZs use it, and they work well. I've become a fan of that approach.

well,, consider making your SL jumps and maybe a couple of hop and pops......... then do some AFF jumps. That is what I would tell my daughters and nephews if they wanted to jump more after their tandems. :)

I disagree.
Since hop-and-pops are some of the most difficult dives for students, they should come at the end of an Assisted freefall program.
No single method is perfect.
But, the perfect program includes different types of instruction at different levels.
For example, most modern students start with a tandem.
Then two or three S/L or IAD jumps to learn the basics of canopy control.
Then a few minutes in a wind tunnel to learn the basics of freefall stablity.
Then a half-dozen jumps with freefall instructors.
Then a few jumps with coaches to round out the list of skills for the first license.