ZigZagMarquis

Cal City Otter & C206 at Pepperell, MA

Drive??? There are other airplanes in the world besides 1PM and 173.. Ill come pick you up at the airport myself. jr

:S

Yeah, yeah, I know, but in this post 9/11 world, amongst other things, one thing I figure I'd rather not deal with is traveling via commercial airline with a rig... do I try to carry it on and possibly go through nonsense with the TSA at Security... or do I check it and worry whether or not they pick my suitcase to open for inspection and have my rig opened when I'm not even around... :o>:(:(

... and I apprecieate the offer for a lift, but I'm not sure I want to ride from coast to coast in a Long-EZ or in 1PM or 173... :D:P:)

Although, once upon a time, while sitting in the back of 1PM on a ride to altitude over Cal City for some reason or another I started trying to do the math in my head on how much time I've spent ridding in 1PM... figure 25min ride to altitude... 2000+ jumps out of 1PM... :S... I wasn't likin' the numbers I was coming up with... probably more time then I have in commercial airliners... [:/]

... of course, its no where near the number of hours your dad has in 1PM, that's gotta be in the 5-figures worth of hours, right?

Well....one way to avoid dealing with the TSA would be to ship your gear to us, and ship it back when you leave. UPS, FedEx, and DHL all know where we are! Yes, I know that can be it's own nightmare, but it beats potential hassles by "security" types.

Or, we do have rental gear available, if you want to go that route. Hmmm as a matter of fact there's a cute yellow Quasar in the back of the hangar... :P

The closest commercial airport to the DZ is Manchester, NH (MHT). Next closest, but with more flight options, is Boston-Logan (BOS).

Any more questions? :)

Lets see... rental gear... let me think on that a second... ummm... ummm... NOOO!
:D

Cute yellow Quaisar in the back of the hangar... lets see... if its the one I'm thinking it is... I'd sure hate to take it for a skydive, toss out going through 2K and find-out it still has a N.O.V.A. packed inside it... :S

Actually, if I were to travel there, I'd probably go buy a good hard-sided suitcase or a Pelican Case, pack my rig in it, get a direct flight from LAX to what ever is good a close so there were no extra connections to help loose my stuff and check my rig in that and hope for the best.
[:/]

Carrying a rig on a flight really isn't a big deal. I've done it a whole bunch of times. Only got a second look once in orlando and once in switzerland (they make ya go through security even when you're just there on a short stopover). And both times they were just happy to see a parachute to know what it looks like. Every other time I've traveled, including in israel where security hsa always been much higher than in the US) they didn't even blink an eye at the x-ray machine. The rig (alone in a bag) comes out the other end like a bag of dirty laundry. Most of the horror stories come from people that checked em.

And speaking of pepperell, i'll be there saturday. :)
Dave

PD,

That is true too... at least if you carry it with you, its with you and if things start going really south at Security you can opt to leave with your rig before someone messes with it. Where as if its checked and your bag is the "lucky one" that the TSA decides to open and inspect, it could be them + your rig without you around. :(

I wonder if it would be any help to also carry my rigger's ticket with me if I were to carry my rig on an airliner and questions started coming up at Security?

I carry the letter from the TSA to the USPA (it's on their site somewhere) saying that parachutes are allowed on airliners. If I can find the airline's policy on parachutes, I carry that too. Southwest, for example, specifically mentions that parachutes are allowed on their website. I carry a Vigil card too (I don't think they'll mind that i have a cypres), but I doubt they'd care about that if they were suspicious. I also have the paragraph number of the TSA manual that talks about parachutes written down. That might be in the TSA letter... can't remember. But anyway, those things are folded in a pocket on my gear bag, and the rest of the bag is empty except for the rig. Hook knife goes in my checked luggage. Never been asked anything more than "is that a parachute?"

On the other hand, people that warn the TSA that they are putting a parachute through the x-ray machine get a lot more attention. Just put it in and walk through the metal detector. If they have a problem with it, they'll let you know. :)
Dave

I wonder if it would be any help to also carry my rigger's ticket with me if I were to carry my rig on an airliner and questions started coming up at Security?

It might.

For me, I like having the option of telling a TSA person who wants to unpack my reserve, "Look - this was packed by an FAA-certified rigger. If you want to unpack it, we're going to have to get the FAA involved. And I know neither of us wants to get the FAA involved..." :P

That, in addition to all the paperwork Dave mentioned. It stays in the gearbag. I've never had a problem, though they do usually like to swab it down to check for explosives before sending me on my way.

Back to the original thread topic, just saw the photo of N121PM in the latest Parachutist, along with the MO women's record. :(
Signatures are the new black.

the most recent time flying with my rig carryon - when they asked what's there - parachute. They called the supervisor. I showed him my rigging ticket, the Cypres card. He really only cared about the ticket, I think the FAA logo worked well for him - used the sniffer, and wished me luck.

The only time they have ever swabbed my rig has been coming back from Eloy. Thank goodness one fertilized the landing areas during the holiday boogie. :P

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

[Cute yellow Quaisar in the back of the hangar... lets see... if its the one I'm thinking it is... I'd sure hate to take it for a skydive, toss out going through 2K and find-out it still has a N.O.V.A. packed inside it... :S]

I now have a new FX94 in the "Gold" Quasar. That Old (DOM 92) Nova sure did turn fast and I could toss it at 2K for fast, smooth, on heading openings. Turned faster than the new FX94. The 94 does have a much better flare. Still dont know if you would want to jump it.:D

For all you fans of 121PM.
1. Pepperell had a memorial event Saturday for Charlie Burgess, long-time skydiver and friend of the DZ. It was a totally unjumpable day until late in the afternoon, when the skies broke enough for a 20 (or so) missing-man dive. And then after words were spoken and food and drink shared, the sun came out just enough for a Pepperell double rainbow over 1PM.

2. 1PM will be on national TV sometime soon. The History Channel was at the DZ Tuesday to tape segments for an episode of a new show, "The Works." The host is Daniel H. Wilson, a robot scientist and author; his tandem is part of the show, along with wing suit flying by Flock U and tunnel time at SkyVenture NH.
There should be some really nice flight and exit shots shot from the 206 (vpjr flying in formation with 121PM.)

Stay tuned...

HW

...and what was really cool was the host doing an interview plane to plane between the Otter and the 206! The massive HD cam and camera crew was in the 206 and host was leaning out the door of the Otter (with rig on being held by a "handler") talking about the 8 way Wingsuit jump we were about ready to do. Then as we exited the 206 dove with us and got the flock forming. We had a few nice puffies so the shot should be very cool. We will post the air date and times...should be late Aug. :)

Did any one take any stills of 27g while this was all going down?

I would love to see the camera setup hanging out the door! That plane holds a special place in my heart. I think if I had to pick between White Plane, and Captains new addtions I would send the Otter packing. :ph34r:

Crazy I know.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Did any one take any stills of 27g while this was all going down?

No, but here's a picture of another camera attached to the strut for exit shots. (The duct tape is 'for insurance'; there's a tripod screw holding the camera on.)
The "massive HD camera" is a Panasonic Varicam, here (1) with a passenger on the tripod and (2) in action. The operator said price tag (including lens, tripod, and all the goodies) was ~100k.

HW

Sorry 'bout that! Here they are (it's not letting me make clickies for some reason):

Video by DSE: www.vimeo.com/1222870
It's a Hi-Def video so if you don't have a fast connection, it won't stream smoothly. Just let it buffer.

Pix by Scotty Burns: www.sky2productions.com/component/option,com_expose/Itemid,58/
Click on the “Pepperell WS Bootcamp” album.

Our boogie is 8/21-24 if you want to see the plane(s) in person!

Peace,
Stacey