skybytch

"Partner protection" @ '09 USPA Nationals

I'm sure if we heard the whole story we would find out the the manufactures helped to create this situation.

I have no doubt they created it, but even if they didn't I'm sure they're (the 'partners') are happy about it.

But let's remember that in NASCAR every team has one (or more) giant trucks, tents, chalets, golf carts, motorhomes, and ten other things I'm not thinkig of that are plastered with their sponsors logos.

I agree (gasp!) that the teams are not allowed to hang banners up on the grandstands, or along the track wall, that's the business of the track. Likewise, I'm not suggesting that the teams at Nationals be allowed to decorate the hanger, or any other piece of DZ property.

I do feel, however, that they should be allowed to adorn their packing tents, or team areas in any way they see fit. Part of hosting Nationals is hosting the teams. If those teams include tents or windblades, and they can be erected (I said 'erected') in a non-intrusive way, than the DZ and it's bottom line should not stand in their way.

In an effort to improve skydiving events within the skydiving industry, Skydive Spaceland has built a professional sponsorship program like successful events outside our industry. Spaceland has spent the 2009 season consulting with experienced professionals inside the sponsorship industry to help improve our events and assist our industry by forming a new company called "New Step Marketing™”.

The use of a proven and professional sponsorship program for our events inside the skydiving industry is long overdue and will only help our industry grow in a more positive way. Just take a look at how other major sporting events handle sponsorships or how America's largest airshows implement and manage effective sponsorship programs to grow and strengthen their show.

The skydiving industry has been driving down the wrong sponsorship road for years and it’s slowly spiraling out of control. There are fewer skydiving sponsorships being offered now than ever before. Without a clear understanding of the sponsorship process, the host (DZs) cannot effectively implement and manage successful sponsorship programs, or worse, they don't implement one at all. Creating and implementing an effective sponsorship program is an important job but managing that sponsorship is equally as important. The lack of management in the sponsorship process (during the event) is one of the leading causes in the decline of sponsorships at many skydiving events.

Sponsorship is declining within the industry because these companies fail to see the value of the relationship at the event, also know as "ROI" (Return On Investment). Companies within our industry are accustomed to spending sponsorship dollars to be a partner of the event only to show up to see their rival company's sponsored athletes (who didn't spend any money on supporting the event) setting up branded tents with big company logos, handing out sponsored products, literature or other promotional items.

As a result of this, these companies spend less money supporting the event and choose to have their sponsored athletes/teams use guerrilla marketing onsite. Without proper management during the event athletes/competitors can (with or without knowing it) ambush the event sponsors with the promotion of their personal sponsors. Any athlete, organization, company or brand that creates the impression that they are an event sponsor have conducted "ambush marketing." This type of activity raises the cost of the event which translates into higher costs for the host (and you) which then translates into fewer bids for the event and fewer choices in location for these events . Think about it for a minute, the cost for the participant will skyrocket if there are only a few bidders because the host can monopolize and charge whatever inflated price they want.

Event sponsorship has got so bad in our industry that many companies will only sponsor if they control how much they spend for the sponsorship (if any) and how they get to spend it. This is a dream for most sponsors but not possible in almost every industry but ours. This is NOT in the best interest of the host, the event or the sanctioning body.

Establishing and enforcing sponsorship guidelines to protect the sponsor's investment is not new. Imagine how much money an event and an industry would lose and how many companies would stop sponsoring mainstream events if there were no sponsorship guidelines to protect them?

How would an event handle a participating team that is sponsored by Pepsi when the event itself is sponsored by Coke? Without the enforcement of sponsorship guidelines during the event, the team sponsored by Pepsi would be allowed to ambush Coke at the event. This would confuse everyone watching the event as to who the event sponsors actually are. If this type of marketing continued it would cause a breach of contract with Coke and they would never sponsor the event again. This would have a negative effect on the event, the host and the sanctioning body.

Most all sporting events allow sponsored teams to wear sponsored clothing and use sponsored gear but any promotion outside of this personal "fair use" is not allowed. NASCAR (America's fastest growing spectator sport with the highest level of sponsorship in the country) allows drivers to wear their sponsor IDs on the uniform and use their vehicle (race car) as a billboard to promote their team sponsors during the race. This is considered "fair use" in promotion of their personal sponsors at the event which extends to wearing sponsored clothing or uniforms on stage during award ceremonies.

Skydive Spaceland wants the very best for our sport and has set up a professional sponsorship program for this years event that will be managed just like other successful events outside our industry. For clarification here is a quick overview of Skydive Spaceland's sponsorship guidelines that will be managed by New Step Marketing™ during the 2009 USPA National Skydiving Championships.

WHAT "WILL BE" ALLOWED

1) Athletes WILL BE ALLOWED to wear any sponsorship clothing bearing logos, slogans or brands to promote their personal sponsors.

2) Athletes WILL BE ALLOWED to wear and use any sponsored gear from a sponsoring company including all skydiving equipment like containers, jumpsuits, helmets, instruments or "Parachutes". Just as the race car is a promotion "vehicle" in NASCAR the parachute is considered a promotion "vehicle" in skydiving and WILL BE ALLOWED to be branded with logos, slogans or brands from personal sponsors.

3) Athletes WILL BE ALLOWED to wear all their sponsored clothing and gear on the award stage during any ceremony at the event.

WHAT "WILL NOT" BE ALLOWED

1) Athletes WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to pass out any sponsor products, literature or other promotional items at the event.

2) Athletes WILL NOT BE ALLOWED to set up tents with sponsor logos, banners, flags, airblades or any other device that promotes their personal sponsors at the event.

*If you have a tent you want to use with your sponsor's logo you must cover it up from both sides unless it happens to be one of our event sponsors. If in doubt, have your tent approved in advance by our staff.

As you can see Skydive Spaceland has allowed "fair use" in the promotion of personal/team sponsors at the event. To protect the event sponsors, we must enforce any UNFAIR USE and promotion of personal/team sponsors at the event. Again, all of this is to protect the event sponsors who support the event and make the whole thing possible. Happy event sponsors create bigger and better events which in turn create a better competition for you and me.

We look forward to seeing you all at this year's big event!

Skydive Spaceland & New Step Marketing™

I would also like to invite you to follow your favorite team at USPAnationals.com

There you will find lots of information about this years Nationals including scores, blogs, event partners and photos. Now what we are really excited about is the ability to webcast LIVE video feeds of the event. We want to share this great competition with all skydivers and bring this National Championship to you, right in the convenience of your office/home. You will be able to view most of the events and follow your favorite teams progression on their quest to be the best. We even plan on showing the venue layout, award ceremonies and interviews with industry ICONS. C-ya there.
www.skydivespaceland.com
www.swooppark.com
www.uspanationals.com
www.newstepmarketing.com

Hi Eric,

Interesting read.

Somehow I thought that this was the US Parachute Assn's US National Championships; I did not know it was a commercial event for the benefit of Skydive Spaceland & New Step Marketing. :S

I think I posted previously something about USPA, Inc. Hmmmmmmmm

JerryBaumchen

Everybody keep's saying USPA's nationals, but I dont think USPA is paying for the most of the nationals;) I understad it is brout by USPA but not paid for by USPA. Same as all other nationals;)
Nothing opens like a Deere!

You ignorant fool! Checks are for workers!

Hi Eric,

Interesting read.

Somehow I thought that this was the US Parachute Assn's US National Championships; I did not know it was a commercial event for the benefit of Skydive Spaceland & New Step Marketing. :S

JerryBaumchen

+1.

If this was such a bad road how come other host DZ's never had to charge more for the competitors to compete like you propose? How come this was never an issue before with other host DZ's or with the USPA who is the governing organization behind this competition. Again, this is NOT "Spaceland National Skydiving Competition." It just seems to me like everything you stated above was trying to be twisted to seem like this was benefiting the USPA and skydivers/competitors when in reality the only people having anything to do with this or benefiting from it is Skydive Spaceland.

Also the fact that the marketing firm is just Skydive Spaceland under a different name for terms of marketing can put all and any earlier posts that maybe the marketer was behind this and made Spaceland enter this agreement. Anybody who knows anything about the personality of this dz knew where this was coming from the whole time.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Hi Eric,

Interesting read.

JerryBaumchen

+1.

If this was such a bad road how come other host DZ's never had to charge more for the competitors to compete like you propose? How come this was never an issue before with other host DZ's or with the USPA who is the governing organization behind this competition. Again, this is NOT "Spaceland National Skydiving Competition." It just seems to me like everything you stated above was trying to be twisted to seem like this was benefiting the USPA and skydivers/competitors when in reality the only people having anything to do with this or benefiting from it is Skydive Spaceland.

Also the fact that the marketing firm is just Skydive Spaceland under a different name for terms of marketing can put all and any earlier posts that maybe the marketer was behind this and made Spaceland enter this agreement. Anybody who knows anything about the personality of this dz knew where this was coming from the whole time.

Trust me everyone get's you dont like spaceland and you jump at another local houston DZ. At least tell people your intention's. I haven't said anything about your "opinion's" yet but you keep ragging spaceland. You and everyone else keep talking about other national's not doing this.... well I dont know of any other national's that has faced these challenges. The economy is the worst it has been in what 80 years:S. maybe that has something to do with it. If you or anyone else thinks it can be done better then put your $ where your mouth is! What...... You dont want to? Then shut up!

Disclamer...... I dont jump at any houston DZ on a regualer basis. I have jumped at Spaceland 2 diff. times, but i have nothing against any houton DZ's. All I have is an opinion. If you dont like that opinion i dont give a shit! Just like I dont give a shit what any of the spaceland guy's think about me. But I do know buis. just like they do.;)

Hi Eric,

Interesting read.

JerryBaumchen

+1.

Trust me everyone get's you dont like spaceland and you jump at another local houston DZ. At least tell people your intention's. I haven't said anything about your "opinion's" yet but you keep ragging spaceland. You and everyone else keep talking about other national's not doing this.... well I dont know of any other national's that has faced these challenges. The economy is the worst it has been in what 80 years:S. maybe that has something to do with it. If you or anyone else thinks it can be done better then put your $ where your mouth is! What...... You dont want to? Then shut up!

Disclamer...... I dont jump at any houston DZ on a regualer basis. I have jumped at Spaceland 2 diff. times, but i have nothing against any houton DZ's. All I have is an opinion. If you dont like that opinion i dont give a shit! Just like I dont give a shit what any of the spaceland guy's think about me. But I do know buis. just like they do.;)

I would be ragging on the other dz if this was what they were doing. Trust me. I try to keep an independent fram of mine. There are plenty of people down at spaceland whom I love and get along with. I live close to that dz, gave it its fare shot, and I felt like my discipline fit better at the other dz. Even so, if the tables were turned and the other dz was doing exactly this, my opinion and outrage would be EXACTLY the same. This is not personal.

**edited to add-- You clearly state you have an opinion too. Good for you. I'm not stooping to your level and telling you to shut up. No matter what side of the issue anybody is on this I think they should voice their opinion and be heard. I'm glad you're contributing because this organization and this competition is made up of our voices and our concerns.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

I try to keep an independent fram of mine

Cool, in some of your other post it didnt seem like you had an open mind about houston DZ's.

Even so, if the tables were turned and the other dz was doing exactly this, my opinion and outrage would be EXACTLY the same. This is not personal

Work's for me:)

Good for you. I'm not stooping to your level and telling you to shut up.

I clearly said if you dont want to put your $ where your mouth is then shut up! That dosent mean dont talk, it mean's if your not willing to put your $ on the line (like Spaceland) then you shouldn't talk down to them to much!

I'm glad you're contributing because this organization and this competition is made up of our voices and our concerns.

We both feel the same about this!:)

You and everyone else keep talking about other national's not doing this.... well I dont know of any other national's that has faced these challenges.

And you've done lots of research into the Nationals that happened before you started jumping, right?

If you or anyone else thinks it can be done better then put your $ where your mouth is! What...... You dont want to? Then shut up!

So to have an opinion on something related to the USPA Nationals, we now have to be a dzo? Classic.

All I have is an opinion. If you dont like that opinion i dont give a shit!

Riiight.

Interesting read.

I didn't find it particularly interesting at all. It was just a long way of saying what we already knew. I still don't think there was a problem to solve by doing this. Just a way of attempting to force company's within our little industry to spend more money. If this becomes a norm for skydiving events, I think it is bad for the industry. One event isn't such a big deal... heck, only 4 companies went for it. But lets hope this isnt the start of a trend.

I also liked the way he threw "icons" in bold since aerodyne is a sponsor. I guess it's harder to work "vigils" into a conversation, huh? :)
At last year's nationals, the biggest display a team brought that I remember was a russian team sponsored by LUKOIL, a russian oil company. They had a tent, windblades, etc. It didn't cross my mind even one time that LUKOIL may be sponsoring the event. The only handouts I can remember (and I didn't even get one) was the president of aerodyne handing out t-shirts and Trunk handing out stickers to video guys. I didn't see them on the banners, windblades, or official t-shirts. This idea that sponsors are hurt by guerilla advertisers is just silly. I can imagine that it could happen... but some much less restrictive rules could be imposed to prevent any problems, if that's what they were really trying to solve.

Dave

Thanks for speaking up from your side of the fence.

I still have a few points of contention, even after reading you explanation.

1. Seeing as ALL of the 'partners' are skydiving related businesses, I'm not sure how this plan is helping skydiving to grow. If you were bringing some new, out-of-industry sponsorship to the table, the kind that mght generate some sort of national coverage, then I could see your point of view, but you're not.

You have to remember that this event is for the benefit of the competitors who are attending this years event. They have trained and traveled to compete at this one event, and all efforts should be for the benefit of those competitors at this event.

If you have to reduce their sponsorship opportuities to advance those of the DZ, or even those of future competitions, then you have given this years dues-paying, registration-paying competitors the short end of the stick. That sucks.

2. You continue to reference airshows as a comparison, but those are paid performers. Every single one of them. Are you paying this years competitors? Every single one of them such that all of their travel, and time are paid for, and they will turn a profit? I can guarantee you that Sean Tucker doesn't leave his house unless he's being paid enough to cover the expenses to bring him, his team, and his plane to the event, and leave a nice chunk in his pocket when it's all said and done.

If you want to act like an airshow promoter, then pay the talent like an airshow promoter. Even if you were to offer prize money, that would only apply to the top finishers in each class, but you're not even doing that.

Look man, we both know this deal is jacked. The DZ has increased the value of the event sponsorship, while decreasing the value of the competitors ability to sponsor themselves.

You were right when you said that sponsorship is going in the wrong direction in this industry, and this is the first step.

Let's revisit this issue in 10 months, and see if your 'plan' survives into Nationals 2010. I'll go out on a limb and say 'no'.

I still think that most of you are complaining about a non-issue.
What Spaceland is doing is not new nor innovative. It's a throwback to the the Nationals run in Muskogee in the 80s, only on a much smaller scale.
PIA was so successful with their vendor tents/booths that they created their own venue called the Symposium.
Also the dropping of the 'boogie' part of nationals had something to do with that.
The old Rigger's Convention and vendor booths are now the PIA Symposium.

A reality check on what competitors do at Nationals is required too.
Most competitors, especially the top teams, are focused on their jumps.
They are not out there handing out bling.
They are holed up in their teams rooms in-between jumps.
Any distractions they allow during competition are usually related to helping other teams engineer a dive.

A reality check on the sponsors is required too.
Sponsorship at Nationals really is not the best bang for the buck.
Everyone at Nationals already knows the top companies, aka sponsors.
Competitors small talk amongst themselves is about what kind of deal they got from this sponsor or that sponsor.
They trade notes, place as best as they can and work a new deal next season.
Sponsorship of part of Nationals only makes sense if you reach the newer jumpers.
Newer jumpers do not have a high participation at Nationals.
Last year OmniSkore! added advertisement to the online videos.
That gets out to the new kids on the block.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

In "NASCAR (America's fastest growing spectator sport with the highest level of sponsorship in the country)", each team has a pit area where they can showcase and use all the things thier sponsers gave them.

It seems this could have been avoided it there were a designated place for teams with non-official "partners" were allowed to set up. Of course, one would locate this outside of the main viewing area and spectator area, perhaps over by the trees near the parking lot or a short walk away from the hanger. Make it a little inconvient so there is no question they are not associated. The prime real-estate would belong exclusivly to the "protected partners."

All the teams are paying to be there, so wouldn't it make sense for them to have a pit area where each team could set up thier equipment and sponsered gear?

(Team rooms don't count in this question, unless you have enough for every single team and it is included in the price)

I also liked the way he threw "icons" in bold since aerodyne is a sponsor. I guess it's harder to work "vigils" into a conversation, huh? :)

Dave

You could hold a vigil outside the gates.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

In "NASCAR (America's fastest growing spectator sport with the highest level of sponsorship in the country)", each team has a pit area where they can showcase and use all the things thier sponsers gave them.

It seems this could have been avoided it there were a designated place for teams with non-official "partners" were allowed to set up. Of course, one would locate this outside of the main viewing area and spectator area, perhaps over by the trees near the parking lot or a short walk away from the hanger. Make it a little inconvient so there is no question they are not associated. The prime real-estate would belong exclusivly to the "protected partners."

All the teams are paying to be there, so wouldn't it make sense for them to have a pit area where each team could set up thier equipment and sponsered gear?

(Team rooms don't count in this question, unless you have enough for every single team and it is included in the price)

I agree with this however I can see this being taken advantage of also.

I use to try to get manufacturers to my event. Except for a few, it quickly went from me supplying free space, to them wanting me to provide tent space,tables,chairs and yes...even jumps for their staff. I don't go out of my way any more. I will invite, they can take it or leave it. The downside to this is the event has to be paid for by the jumpers and I get to hear the 1%ers bitch about what they get for their fucking registration money. So you see, it is a loose loose for the event planner. All you bitchers and whiners stay home.

Dave

You could hold a vigil outside the gates.

John,

Go to your room.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals