Jame58rown

Staying current

Hi guys,
I've been browsing this site for weeks now and it seems like theres a lot of knowledge flying around so I'll fire away...

I'm 15 and my Bday is on the 28th of Feb. For my birthday i'd like to do an aff course (i've been saving up for ages :)) The problem is I'll probably only be able to afford like 2 jumps every couple of weeks after I've got my A liscence. I'm also getting my GCSE's in June so I may not be able to jump at all for about month.

After that however i'm going to get a part time job while I get my A levels so money wont be a problem after June (hopefully :P). Untill then however should I bother getting my A liscence or wait untill I've got a job and can afford more jumps? Will it be more 'dangerous' to only jump about 4 jumps a month? :S.

My mum says I should wait untill I have a job so I can jump a bit more often. (she used to skydive) But I think she doesnt want me to jump period ;)

I really realy want to jump because I'm soo curious about what freefall feels like. But maybe I should be patient. What do you think?

Cheers guys B|

:D

My dad sais I should pack to pay for it asswell. :)He used to skydive "back in the day". But I thought you had to get a packing course? If you dont then i'll nag and nag because If I can pack then it saves me a fiver every jump anyway :)
To daytripper: my local DZ has a tandem jump as standard so I can pay for level one (which includes the tandem and then decide). I've been obsessed with skydiving for years now and I'm so psyched that the time is getting near when I can actually do it :D
So if I dont get a few solo freefalls my life wont feel complete ;).

How many jumps would it take to 'stay current' i'm guessing it will be more than 4 or 5 a month but would it be really bad to not do many jumps for your first few months?

Where are you at? You'll need to find out whether the DZs in your area have age restrictions. If I'm not mistaken, commonly, you can do Static Line at age 16, but tandems and maybe AFF requires 18 and older... I'll have to check the SIM to verify....however, that's for the USA...
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I live in Wales, UK.
You can do an AFF at 16 here.
Do you have to be 18 in America?

Oh, okay. I don't know the rules there, but here in the states, the SIM section 2-1 reads:

D. Age requirements

1. Skydivers are to be at least either:

a. 18 years of age [FB]

b. 16 years of age with notarized parental or guardian consent [FB]

However, the tandem manufacturers may have their own restrictions on passenger age... Anybody?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

You have to have parental consent here too (if your 16) to do an AFF
When you say: 16 with parental consent do you mean to do a static line?

I am not sure if that is the case today. It was a while back.

All I could find in my copy of the SIM (2008 version) was this:

Section 4, D, 4. All participants in skydiving must meet the BSRs for age.
a. Minors who are at least 16 years of age and have notarized parental or guardian consent may be allowed to participate in some training programs at some schools, according to school policy.

Not all DZs have the same policy. Try contacting the BPA, England's version of USPA....

Hi James

Check with the DZ that you're planning on jumping at (Swansea?) to see what the regs are and i'm sure that they will fill you in.

There are some differences in the requirements between the US and UK.

As the others have already said - do the course and then spend some time learning to pack - most DZ's run a course and it's not that expensive!!

Once you can pack - you'll save yourself a Fiver and you can start to pack other rigs (once you're approved for that type) - in no time you'll be packing like a pro :)
Then take all of your hard-earned cash and spend it jumping / on tunnel time / on gear ...

You'll not be rich for a long while but you'll get to fulfill that dream

- Welcome to the skies B|B|

Current according to the USPA is a jump every 30 days until you get your license and then I don't know after that. Thats about what I had to do until I got licensed as its pretty expensive but now that the jumps are only 20-25 dollars I go very 2 weeks and jump all I can (about 4 jump so a total of about 8 a month). I wish I could jump more but I am not made of money and if I did it more my wife wouldn't be happy with me so I take what I can get. But its plenty and I learn a bunch....almost too much to process all at once sometimes. Take your time, have fun and don't try to rush it. In my short time I have seen so many people get bummed out and a few quit because they weren't jumping every weekend and didn't get their A at exactly 25 jumps. Its about fun so just keep it that way! :)

Weather is an issue in the UK, it hasn't stopped raining here all week

The weather is an issue everywhere, some places it's just more often than others. Keeping this in mind, here's a universal rule of skydiving that you should always follow - Never put off jumping on a day when you have the money, and the weather. Don't save up for next week, or even just plan on making extra jumps tomorrow; if you can jump today, do it. Worry about jumping tomorrow, tomorrow. Maybe the weather will close in, or the plane will break, who knows. If all the pieces are in place on one day, jump that day.

So, your answer about starting to jump is to refer to that rule. As soon as you have the money, the weather, and are old enough, jump. Figure out the next day's worth of jumping when that day comes.

It all happens one jump at a time. Worry about jump #2 after you're safely down from jump #1, and so on, and so on, and so on.

Get video. You can probably talk your parents into paying for it.

The weather is an issue everywhere, some places it's just more often than others. Keeping this in mind, here's a universal rule of skydiving that you should always follow - Never put off jumping on a day when you have the money, and the weather. Don't save up for next week, or even just plan on making extra jumps tomorrow; if you can jump today, do it. Worry about jumping tomorrow, tomorrow. Maybe the weather will close in, or the plane will break, who knows. If all the pieces are in place on one day, jump that day.

So true. I had enough money for like 12 jumps while I was at zhills over Christmas.. Decided to pace myself, ended up hurting myself halfway through the trip and with only 7 of my 12 jumps jumped [:/]

Also, it took me almost 5 months to do AFF because of weather, and personal issues... But (for most) this sport is hard to give up once you start! I wish you the best of luck! :)

In many, if not all of the states in the US, a parent cannot "waive" a minor's rights. What that mens is that a smart DZO will not let a person who has not reached the age of majority (18 yrs old) jump, regardless of the mechanism -- tandem, AFF, static line, etc.. Why? Because the liability for the jump gone bad cannot be waived by the parent and the DZO could be liable for a bad outcome, however rare such an outcome may be.

Good luck with your goal. I made my first jump 2.5 years ago and I am having the time of my life every weekend!
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Where are you at? You'll need to find out whether the DZs in your area have age restrictions. If I'm not mistaken, commonly, you can do Static Line at age 16, but tandems and maybe AFF requires 18 and older... I'll have to check the SIM to verify....however, that's for the USA...

Billy, I knew you were deaf but I didn't know you were blind.

Jame58rown

PM Friend

United Kingdom
Jumps
License
In sport

My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Billy, I knew you were deaf but I didn't know you were blind.

Jame58rown

PM Friend

United Kingdom
Jumps
License
In sport

When he made his original post, his profile didn't include his location.