Neoslim22

Is this normal for static line?

Is it still considered a PCA if the person holding the PC doesn't pop the pin(s)? A PCA in base where the holder doesnt actually pop the pins is called a freefall assist. I didnt know if this was also the case in skydiving.
"If this post needs to be moderated I would prefer it to be completly removed and not edited and butchered into a disney movie" - DorkZone Hero

That's not static line at all. It's IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment).

You mean the PCAs are IAD, right? I think you'll agree that some in the video are clearly S/L and others are clearly IAD.

The static lines are direct bag. The handheld pilot chute is IAD, not static line. PCA static line is a third method that I didn't see in that video.
"It's amazing what you can learn while you're not talking." - Skydivesg

That's not static line at all. It's IAD (Instructor Assisted Deployment).

You mean the PCAs are IAD, right? I think you'll agree that some in the video are clearly S/L and others are clearly IAD.

The static lines are direct bag. The handheld pilot chute is IAD, not static line. PCA static line is a third method that I didn't see in that video.

You're right; I started back when all students were S/L - some were direct bag and some were PCA. In more recent times I've sometimes heard IAD referred to as PCA because there's been some bleed-over of the terminology from BASE. I think posts 2 & 3 kind of reflect that. But your use of the terms is the correct one.

Also looks like those IAD pilot chutes are being thrown pretty high up. The tail isn't much higher than the door on an AN-2, and the strut comes down to about mid-door or lower.

Also looks like those IAD pilot chutes are being thrown pretty high up. The tail isn't much higher than the door on an AN-2, and the strut comes down to about mid-door or lower.

Hence my question one post above.... I was cringing.
Remster

Hence my question one post above.... I was cringing.

Me too. If you pause the video at the right spot, it looks like some of those PCs are getting very close to the tail strut, though you can never see both the strut and the PC at the same time.

I wonder how well an AN-2 flies without a tail? :S

>Is that the standard way of dispatching students when using a larger plane
>in a IAD setup?

I don't know. I've used both. Direct bag gets you more reliable but much scarier looking deployments, since the parachute deploys top/side to the relative wind. PCA gets you cleaner deployments but the student has a greater chance of screwing things up by grabbing or rolling through stuff.

I'm not sure the AN2 flies fast enough to put enough drag on anything to rip off the tail.
:D:D;)

Talking to an AN2 pilot, he said his greatest fear was a bird strike....from the rear.
:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I'm not sure the AN2 flies fast enough to put enough drag on anything to rip off the tail.
:D:D;)

Talking to an AN2 pilot, he said his greatest fear was a bird strike....from the rear.
:D

Good point! :D

I've jumped from an AN-2, and watching it take off and land is impressive. Apparently the procedure for power loss in low visibility is to pull the stick all the way back and keep the wings level - it won't stall.

No!
That is not the preferred method for IADing students from large airplanes.
I have IADed students from all the usual piston-pounding Cessnas, but the only "big" airplane I have IADed students from was a Twin Otter.
Twin Otters are among the few "big" airplanes that can fly slow enough for IAD and we stuck with standard IAD procedures, which include tossing the pilot-chute below floor level/bottom edge of the door.
Any higher and you risk tearing the horizontal tail off the airplane.

On a separate note: it is rare to see static-line and IAD on the same DZ, because most DZs "locked" onto one method decades ago.
For example, there are only two civilian DZs in Canada still dropping students with static-lines.
All the other Canadian DZs converted to IAD during the 1980s.

Rob Warner
S/L Instructor since 1982
IAD Instructor since 1984
Tandem Instructor since 1986
Progressive Freefall Instructor since 1989

What are the benefits of IAD vs SL? Less time to get unstable? No chance of wrapping the static line around an arm or foot?

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

IAD advantages include less paint beaten off the airplane and being able to use one set of gear for all types of students (first-timers and freefallers).
Oh! And less mess on the cabin floor after all students have left.

(Direct bag) Static-line advantages include a greater chance of deploying a canopy over the head of even the dumbest student.
Static-line disadvantages include greater wear on gear, greater wear on airplanes and a higher incidence of line twists.

Both systems require jump-masters to avoid routing bridles around students' necks, arms, ankles, etc.

Neither system is perfect, but I find IAD to be a much lower workload on the jump-master, allowing him to devote more energy to TEACHING.

I have long been of the opinion that people obsess about throwing the pilot chute down on IADs. As long as the pilot chute is released after the jumper is away it will be going down. If it is released from a point above the tail it may cause a problem, but as long as it starts out below the tail, it will not go up unless it is pivoting up after encountering resistance (the pin or the tree rings). In this case the j/m clearly releases after the jumper is away. I do have a problem with her not actually placing the p/c outside the aircraft.

IAD advantages include less paint beaten off the airplane and being able to use one set of gear for all types of students (first-timers and freefallers).
Oh! And less mess on the cabin floor after all students have left.

(Direct bag) Static-line........

Thanks. That makes sense.

Does the instructor always release the PC at the same point, or does he/she either release it or delay release based upon the the stability of the student at exit?

EDITED for poor wording.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

Brian...Cinnamon Girl is sitting in West River ...dosent look like its moved in a few years [:/]

That's too bad. She's a beautiful plane, and a fun jump ship too.

On a separate note: it is rare to see static-line and IAD on the same DZ, because most DZs "locked" onto one method decades ago.

I found that interesting too. Possibly they are using both because they have a mix of gear? I can't think of any other reason they would do that.

For example, there are only two civilian DZs in Canada still dropping students with static-lines.

STI would be one. What's the other one?

I have long been of the opinion that people obsess about throwing the pilot chute down on IADs. As long as the pilot chute is released after the jumper is away it will be going down. If it is released from a point above the tail it may cause a problem, but as long as it starts out below the tail, it will not go up unless it is pivoting up after encountering resistance (the pin or the tree rings). In this case the j/m clearly releases after the jumper is away. I do have a problem with her not actually placing the p/c outside the aircraft.

Perhaps, but it is no harder to place it low than it is to place it high. Given the abillity to place it wherever I wish, I will always choose to place it low.

At least one of the PC's in that video looked like it was thrown out and up.