airtwardo

Free packing

Does anybody Free Pack anymore?

*No Kiddies, that doesn't mean not paying the local bag stuffer 5 bones a clip, it's a way we use to pack when we were in a hurry. :ph34r:

I was going to cut the frap strap off an old Unit I have, but might just free pack - and jump it one more time....just for shits & giggles!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

You mean, no bag, one stow, lines in a pouch?

Then, yes, every crw jump.

PS. Or do you mean, not paying your packer?;)

You know what I mean Top!;)

Roll the nose to the 1/2 way and do the same with the tail, slider goes betwix the 2 rolls and wrap the strap, yup one stow...No pouch though, lines coiled in the pack tray like a snake.

And~:P

No candy-ass CReW hop 'n pops...We're talkin' haulin ass and takin it low! ;)

I use to do it with a pullout, could get REAL sporty at times! :S

frap strap

Can you please describe/explain?

Thank you!

Hi Jim~

A small nylon strap that goes around the base to the canopy, held close by a single stow to insure line extension prior to the canopy opening, no bag is used...in fact a few of us tried losing the pilot-chute too, pullout pud was attached to the canopy, so no pilot-chute was used...it worked.....kindaB|;)

we free pack over in the dark side, and we pull about 500' in full flight. Come do some base jumps with us Airtwardo, u might feel like the old days again :D

love your stories and your demo work.

P

No balls to do it slider off =D
IHYD

"

we free pack over in the dark side, and we pull about 500' in full flight. ...

"

It does not count as "free-packing" if you stow your lines in a tail pocket.
Hah!
Hah!
The greatest risk to free-packing was always the risk that loose lines would half-hitch around a side flap, making it impossible for the main to inflate and equally impossible to cutaway!
Free-packing was - briefly - fashionable in the early 1980s, until one guy died and MJOSparky had to get his side flap repaired.

Sadly, modern pond-swoopers insist on re-learning the same lesson - the hard way. When pond-swoopers leave too many lines (figure-eighted) laying loose in the main pack tray, they re-introduce the risk of lines half-hitching around side flaps.
Last year, Eric Fradet sent me some photos of a Javelin with characteristic melt marks on a side flap.

Ho!
Hum!
Here we go again!

Diapers do not count as free-stowing, because free-stowing implies that most of the lines are laying loose in the container.

Sorry...that's how it looked to me. 2 bights to close the diaper and the rest was coiled into the pack tray. Either way it was alot of lines not stowed. Sometimes they were sticking out of the container after it was closed.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

twardo- I have taken the one-stow, lines in a pouch, no slider to speak of, zero-p crw mods, pullout canopy to terminal. Just to find out what it was like!

Make sure your shoes are tied on tight, close your mouth so you don't lose all your spit, and plan on being a little sore the next day.:)
It's do-able, but you couldn't make a career out of it.

ps- free-stowing and free-packing are two different animals.

Jump more, post less!

I free packed a heavy cloud with a diaper into an SST back in the day. Always worked good for me and it's funny how I never thought it was all that dangerous. :S

Yup! Me tool Standard weight Cloud with a strap on the nose! Stack it, strap it, two stows and throw it in. I got great openings (although brisk) every time. Sold it to Proz who got slapped a couple times and put it in a bag. Of course, that was the 70's. I don't think I'd try it with a ZP Eliptical??
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

twardo- I have taken the one-stow, lines in a pouch, no slider to speak of, zero-p crw mods, pullout canopy to terminal. Just to find out what it was like!

Make sure your shoes are tied on tight, close your mouth so you don't lose all your spit, and plan on being a little sore the next day.:)
It's do-able, but you couldn't make a career out of it.

ps- free-stowing and free-packing are two different animals.

I use to do it on a Unit and it worked great, mainly because the canopy took forever to open anyway...Had the same set-up on a 252 and it was like hanging rope on a hook as ya went past doin' 120...actually broke a chest strap and lost an altimeter in Ramona once! :S

Diapers do not count as free-stowing, because free-stowing implies that most of the lines are laying loose in the container.

Sorry...that's how it looked to me. 2 bights to close the diaper and the rest was coiled into the pack tray. Either way it was alot of lines not stowed. Sometimes they were sticking out of the container after it was closed.

Funny!

Back when I was young and beautiful, I used to jump a heavy-weight Strato-Cloud with ropes and rings reefing, and all the lines stowed on the diaper.

fashionable in the early 1980s, until one guy died and MJOSparky had to get his side flap repaired.

No, I left the side flap as it was but I did have to change my shorts. And it was a true "free pack". No bag, no strap, no tail pocket. Walk the slider up the lines, shake the canopy, wrap the tail around it, s-fold the lines in the pack tray and stack the canopy on top. I was doing it with a CruisAir that I had crossported myself. I browed a hot knife from Frisby. The guy that used it before me crossported his Unit with it. Only he carefully crossported the top skin. Its amazing what you will do when you are to fucking dumb to know any better.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals