alp27

Wind tunnel - a worth while intro?

Hey Guys,

I did my first tandem last month, I'm hooked and will be doing my AFF as soon as I can get the cash together (looks like July/August).

I was looking into wind tunnels to gain some experience of body position, good arch, stability, etc to give me an advantage when I start AFF.

For those of you that have used wind tunnels -

1) Are they worth the money (approx £100-£150 for 10 minutes flight with coaching) or should I put it towards my AFF instead.

2) Do they simiulate the free fall experience effectivly or are they just for fun.

3) Can anyone recommend a decent one with good level coaching in the North West, UK.

Thanks
Everyone dies.... not everyone lives!!

I've never flown in a tunnel so take what I say with a grain of salt.

They are a good tool to simulate FF and some tunnel time with coaching would definitely help you prepare for flying on an actual skydive. That said, if your financial situation has you choosing between AFF or spending money on the tunnel, I'd recommend just going straight to AFF.

I've never been there, but I understand Bedford Bodyflight is a 1st class facility: http://www.bodyflight.co.uk/

I'm ignorant to UK geography so forgive me if that's not in the area you're looking.

Welcome to the sky:)

I got nuthin

Hey guys,

Thanks for the quick responses. I checked out the one in Manchester and it seems like the closest option for me. They also advised that they can go through most of the AFF levels during the 10 minutes of tunnel time.

With ref to tunnel vs AFF I will have the money together for AFF in summer whatever happens. With this in mind I think from the initial responses, paying out a further 150 quid for some tunnel time will aid me prior to AFF this summer.

Nice one!!

Not sure of your prices for AFF levels over there, but here is how I see it...

Cost for AFF level 3 where I took it in Texas = approx. $200 US.

Level 3 here is where they finally let you go for the 1st time to show you are capable of stable belly to earth flight.

I repeated it 3 times... so out of pocket = approx $800 US.

If tunnel time is less than even 1 repeat AFF level and will almost guarantee a non repeat of any level throughout the AFF program, then it is more than worth it. Just for the peace of mind and knowing that you will be a little more relaxed because you have already demonstrated the ability in a tunnel.

I have never been to a tunnel either, so my advice should also be taken with a couple grains of salt...

I just know I could have benefited when I started out. ;)

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

Depending on who you're doing AFF with, some of the UK schools are starting to offer tunnel as part of their programs.

Getting in the tunnel is a good idea. Getting in there with the same people you'll be in freefall with is a great idea :)
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

I was looking into wind tunnels to gain some experience of body position, good arch, stability, etc to give me an advantage when I start AFF.

For those of you that have used wind tunnels -

1) Are they worth the money (approx £100-£150 for 10 minutes flight with coaching) or should I put it towards my AFF instead.

2) Do they simiulate the free fall experience effectivly or are they just for fun.

3) Can anyone recommend a decent one with good level coaching in the North West, UK.

Thanks

I didn't go into a wind tunnel until I reached AFF level 3, at which point my instructor recommended I go into the tunnel before level 4 which is the most common level for students to not pass. From an economic/utility standpoint, it may save you some money repeating levels if you go into tunnel and grow comfortable flying your body. The 15 minutes of tunnel time translates into roughly 15 skydives, so it definitely will help body stability as you will have spent more time flying your body in the air.

But as some have posted already, clearly people can successfully complete AFF without going into a tunnel, without repeating levels, so it really is up to you.

A tunnel doesn't simulate real freefall in the sense that you are inside a tunnel, where there is no sky, there is a net below you and walls surrounding you. Thus you feel "safer" and don't have to worry about altitude awareness, pulling, canopy flight and many other important things that we learn in skydiving. With that said, tunnel is VERY fun for that reason, all you have to worry about is flying. I highly recommend it :)

Hey guys, thanks for making my mind up. I'm gonna book the tunnel in for a 10-15 minute (of actually tunnel time) session.

Its 175 to repeat an aff level 1-3 and 125 to repeat a level 4 plus so the cost of 150 now may save me a lot once I start proper.

I understand that the body position and control are only a small part of the sport but if I have that nailed then I can spend more time concentrating on altitude awareness, intructors hand signals, practice pulls, etc.

As always you guys have delivered the goods, thanks!!

Hey guys, thanks for making my mind up. I'm gonna book the tunnel in for a 10-15 minute (of actually tunnel time) session.

Its 175 to repeat an aff level 1-3 and 125 to repeat a level 4 plus so the cost of 150 now may save me a lot once I start proper.

I understand that the body position and control are only a small part of the sport but if I have that nailed then I can spend more time concentrating on altitude awareness, intructors hand signals, practice pulls, etc.

As always you guys have delivered the goods, thanks!!

I also did tunnle time right after my level 3 i passed the first release jump and then went to teh tunnel and didnt fail any aff jumps gave me a much better feel for what my body was doign in freefall :) so it is a very big help. so my 2cents are its more than worth it! :) BLUESSSS
People call me crazy for jumping out of a perfectly good plane..... why would we want to get in a plane thats falling apart anyways.. i want a perfectly good plane

BLUE SKIES

The tunnel is worth it. It is a great learning experience and you will improve your skills in it. For me it helped me a ton on keeping stable to a solid reference point so I knew what my body was doing in freefall and how to correct it. One thing that I would suggest though while in the tunnel is make an effort to check your left wrist (simulating an altimeter) every 5 sec or so (simulates 1000’), and after every maneuver. It should help you get the muscle memory to check altitude while in freefall, and hopefully will ingrain the importance of constant knowledge of your altitude at all times. That’s just my inexperienced $0.02.

I also did tunnle time right after my level 3 i passed the first release jump and then went to teh tunnel and didnt fail any aff jumps gave me a much better feel for what my body was doign in freefall :) so it is a very big help. so my 2cents are its more than worth it! :) BLUESSSS

The tunnel is worth it. It is a great learning experience and you will improve your skills in it. For me it helped me a ton on keeping stable to a solid reference point so I knew what my body was doing in freefall and how to correct it. One thing that I would suggest though while in the tunnel is make an effort to check your left wrist (simulating an altimeter) every 5 sec or so (simulates 1000’), and after every maneuver. It should help you get the muscle memory to check altitude while in freefall, and hopefully will ingrain the importance of constant knowledge of your altitude at all times. That’s just my inexperienced $0.02.

Great advice guys and I will definatly be checking the wrist. I hear that muscle memory can save ur life in this sport so the sooner I get my body working on auto the better.

Cheers

I did 6 mins of tunnel (part of Raeford PC's first jump course) followed by Cat A,B which I passed. Then did another 15 minutes in Orlando and breezed through AFF. Looking back on it, the 2nd tunnel experience (after having jumped twice) allowed me the confidence to finish AFF without over-thinking/screwing up (not paying for extra jumps).

I'd go for it, my $.02

Thanks for all the advice above. well I have booked my wind tunnel time at Airkix in manchester for 19th June. I get a one hour brief and 15 minutes tunnel time plus coaching throughout. They advised that this is the package taken up by people planning on AFF and they will go over the various AFF level disiplines - practice pulls, 360 turns, mock altitude checks, etc.

Cant wait now and hope to have my AFF booked for this summer. :P

My daughter did tunnel before AFF and it made her AFF an enjoyable experience the only trouble was her skydiving skills were way above her canopy skills.

If you have the money get on a canopy course as soon as you can after getting your A license.

Enjoy the sport.

Steve B|

Swooping, huh? I love that stuff ... all the flashing lights and wailing sirens ... it's very exciting!

Thanks guys, I really wanna book my AFF now but having a wife and small toddler makes justifying 1500 quid hard at the best of times. If not this summer it will be early next year but i'm expecting some cash soon so fingers crossed!!! :)