ladyskydiver

Flying a Flag

Based on this incident, I've got some questions. 100 jumps, B license and flying a flag? From where I stand, that seems to be absolutely ridiculous and should have never happened.

I don't have time to dig into the SIM right now and my personal feelings are that there is no way in hell that jumper should have been jumping a flag, but I'd like to ask those with more experience and instructors...should a jumper with that low of experience have been jumping a flag?
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

In short probably not. Here is an extract from the BPA OPS manual, which I know is not directly the same as USPA but non the less worthy the comparison:

Equipment such as; GPS, flags, smoke brackets etc, may be actively used by FAI ‘C’ Certificate (Red) parachutists with permission of the CCI/Team Leader.

i.e A minimum of 200 jumps, plus two other grades, IC1 etc. I also know that the CCI at my local dropzone will probably not allow anyone too jump even a modest sized flag with anything less than 500 jumps.

Warwick University Skydiving Club

Experienced jumpers can get in trouble doing this type of thing too. I guess it was 1996 and I was aboard the Perris Otter making a fun jump. Closer to the door I saw Larry Langrand preparing to test jump a banner/flag for an upcoming demo. He looked at me and I smiled, but he didn't smile back at me. He looked a bit apprehensive but I would have forgotten it had the jump went well.

Larry was carrying a pouch containing the banner/flag and I don’t recall the exact sequence but the pouch opened prematurely while he was in freefall and somehow fouled his main bridle and then his entire reserve.

Larry went in off the DZ and there was a horrible story in the newspaper the next day quoting wuffo witnesses saying they heard Larry screaming as he hit. What I'm pretty sure they heard was the sound of the tangled mess he was wrapped in a dragging behind him and I know Larry would have fighting to get something to work right to the end . . .

One thing I heard from a non-jumper at the DZ that puts things in perspective was this: He was watching some people dirt dive a formation and he said, "My god, it's not enough they jump from the plane, they gotta do tricks too?"

Leave flag, smoke, whatever, jumping to the professional skydivers. At least if the worst happens there's still a check to be cashed . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

Are you telling me that even though it was on the DZ, it wasn't a demo jump?

Regardless of that...whoever thought that someone with 100 jumps should be jumping a flag....**shaking head** good thing your friend will live.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Ok...so the demo portion doesn't apply. I'm still digging through the SIM and IRM to find out if there are USPA guidelines to flying with a flag, but...

However over 100 jumps...hon...I'm going to say this as nicely as possible and realize that this is not directed at you...

Whoever thought that at her low experience that she would be OK jumping a flag is an #$*&)$#, and I would tell them that to their face. Hell...I've got almost 300 jumps and there's no way that I should be jumping a flag just yet.

Currency is awesome, BUT her experience level - she's just a baby in this sport and unfortunately, she learned a hard lesson that at least she'll live through...this sport is unforgiving of mistakes. Sometimes you're lucky and escape with only a minor heartattack, sometimes you're injured and then other times you pay with your life.

Again, I'm glad that your friend will live.

Even if she had 500 jumps, her reaction to cutaway without considering what to do with the flag already deployed may have been the same. The preparation for a flag jump will never happen until it is needed, if even then...

I did flag demos at barely over 100 jumps.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

True, the reaction may have been the same. However, there's, also, a good chance that at 500 jumps she would have had a little bit more forethought about "What ifs?" and reacted better.

I did flag demos at barely over 100 jumps.

And I'm glad you're still here to tell us that. However, I totally disagree that such a young jumper should be doing those kinds of jumps. There are enough things that can go wrong with just you in the air much less adding things like a flag, etc. Young jumpers need time and experience to get used to being in the air and to learn their canopy.

:D:$ I'm starting to sound like a safety nazi, but I'm so sick and tired of seeing incident reports that could have been prevented. And, hell...I'm still considered a tourist in the sport as I haven't hit 10 years.

The sequence is - open your canopy and determine that you have a good steerable main above, then drop the flag out of the bag.

If that was done correctly, then why was the flag even out when the cutaway occurred ?

As I understand, the main canopy was deployed, and the jumper determined she had a properly functioning canopy over her head. She did not release the brakes. The flag was deployed, and things were good with it. The jumper reached up to unstow her toggles, and found they would not unstow. Jumper determined this to be a malfunction, and initiated normal main cutaway and reserve deployment procedures, without cutting away the flag.

For Great Deals on Gear

I asked this question elsewhere, but...

The sequence is - open your canopy and determine that you have a good steerable main above, then drop the flag out of the bag.

If that was done correctly, then why was the flag even out when the cutaway occurred ?

"The sequence is - open your canopy and determine that you have a good steerable main above, then drop the flag out of the bag."

~ That's not necessarily the sequence...

There are a multitude of variable factors involved regarding the order that things are done during a demonstration jump...and make no mistake, this was a demonstration jump...dropzone or not.

To briefly outline:
Depending on the canopy speed and rate of decent,
it's often advisable to leave the brakes on prior to deploying the flag.
To much forward speed can affect the way the flag / banner deploys itself. It may tangle or knot up so to speak.
Also if there is other traffic close to you as is often the case during a demo jump, you want to keep the canopy flying slow while your attention is diverted from flying the parachute to deploying the flag.

There are many more factors to consider during a flag jump...to many to go into here. But suffice it to say, this person was in my opinion not ready to attempt a demo jump like that. And in addition wasn't trained either right or well enough, and serious injury is the result.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Does a cutaway flag fall quickly or slowly?

In other words, if one found oneself in the situation of having to cutaway a main post-flag-deployment, after cutting away the flag how would one determine when it was safe to cut away one's main?

(using one to emphasise that I've no intention of jumping a flag; I'm just curious).

In other words, if one found oneself in the situation of having to cutaway a main post-flag-deployment, after cutting away the flag how would one determine when it was safe to cut away one's main?

(using one to emphasise that I've no intention of jumping a flag; I'm just curious).

Most flags are weighted so that they will fly reasonably straight.
When cut-away...they will fall FAST!

Fast enough to hurt or kill someone on the ground.

Another reason why one should NEVER deploy anything over a crowd.

If you cut-away the flag, by the time you get your hands on you rig handles it will be clear...and has enough of a head start it 'shouldn't' be a factor in reserve deployment.
(Never say Never);)

You should always have at least two ways of cutting away a flag or banner...a quick release of some sort, and at least one hook knife.

Well, the flag itself would fall pretty slow I suppose.... but the 10 pound weight at the bottom might fall pretty fast! ;)

Before I get nitpicky responses, yes, I realize that it may be more or less than 10 pounds, depending on the size of the flag....

Jeff
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

Well, the flag itself would fall pretty slow I suppose.... but the 10 pound weight at the bottom might fall pretty fast!

But...!

Brings up another good point...

Ya REALLY wanna make sure that ten pound weight STAYS attached!
:S

Ya REALLY wanna make sure that ten pound weight STAYS attached!

Very true.... I was just making kind of a light hearted comment.:)
Since you brought it up, I think it's worth mentioning that objects (ahem, beer bottles) dropped from altitude can impact with deadly force.... just something to keep in mind on that next sunset cross country jump...

Jeff

ps- I know nobody ever jumps with beer, but I was just using that as a hypothetical example! ;)
Shhh... you hear that sound? That's the sound of nobody caring!

As I understand, the main canopy was deployed, and the jumper determined she had a properly functioning canopy over her head. She did not release the brakes.

If she did not release the brakes, she did not determine that there was a properly functioning canopy over her head as I doubt very highly that she checked steerability with her risers. The way to check if there is a properly functioning canopy over your head is:

• Size
  • Shape
  • Steerability

Size and shape may have been determined but steerability obviously wasn't.