npgraphicdesign

Why am I still uncomfortable sitting by the door?

I started jumping at a 182 dz then moved to a caravan dz. The first year I was TOTALLY freaked out by the door.....it was HUGE!!!!! I would refuse to sit by the door...try to organize my jumps on light loads. Dz friends caught on to the issue and more or less forced me closer and closer to the door. By the end of last season I was fine with sitting next to the door. I've been pretty uncurrent this season and have the fear of the door again, but thankful not nearly as bad. What's funny is my fear is I'll fall out. Yep....I'm jumping from the plane....but my goodness....I had better not fall out of it! :)

I started jumping at a 182 dz then moved to a caravan dz. The first year I was TOTALLY freaked out by the door.....it was HUGE!!!!! I would refuse to sit by the door...try to organize my jumps on light loads. Dz friends caught on to the issue and more or less forced me closer and closer to the door. By the end of last season I was fine with sitting next to the door. I've been pretty uncurrent this season and have the fear of the door again, but thankful not nearly as bad. What's funny is my fear is I'll fall out. Yep....I'm jumping from the plane....but my goodness....I had better not fall out of it! :)

Hell, my first 10-15 jumps I fell out... and IIRC... those damn AFFIs pushed me for most of them!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

The door of the plane is always CLOSED ??? right??? for take -off,,, and until at least a thousand feet.. Right???

We generally have the door closed from takeoff until just before exit - mainly because it typically isn't all that warm in the UK, and also I think because it reduces turbulence and so saves time and fuel.

But of course some aircraft have no door at all, and the Britten-Norman Islander I used to jump as a student had a 'door' that was really just a fibreglass panel to cover the hole. We weren't allowed to close it below 1500 feet for fear that we wouldn't be able to open it again in the event of a crash landing and subsequent evacuation.

I don't mind being near the door at all, but I wouldn't want to lean out of it close to the ground. I've seen camera flyers hang all the way out to film the underside of the plane on takeoff, to the point where they'd have fallen if not for their seat belts. Sooner them than me.

Bet ya just loved the 206s!

I still haven't figured out why door-open takeoffs were perfectly fine when EVERYONE was by the door but not ok with a caravan or otter. :S

Dave

Actually I did....aside from the open door. :P

Where's my logbook???? :S:D I'll be at CPI this Sat mid afternoon and Sunday as well. Better have it...or else...:P

You said you'd be there monday. You weren't there so I threw it out. Was that wrong??

Just kidding, I have it. I'm being very careful with it... it's dryed out from lack of use and falling apart. I recommend storing it in a climate controlled, low oxygen environment until you start using it more often. :P:P

Dave

You said you'd be there monday. You weren't there so I threw it out. Was that wrong??

Just kidding, I have it. I'm being very careful with it... it's dryed out from lack of use and falling apart. I recommend storing it in a climate controlled, low oxygen environment until you start using it more often. :P:P

Dave

Oh you...:P:D

I have the opposite problem. As a wingsuiter I'm the farthest from the door and it makes me uncomfortable ...

Why? :S

If the plane is going down, the only person to get out after him is the pilot!
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

I have the opposite problem. As a wingsuiter I'm the farthest from the door and it makes me uncomfortable ...

and it's hard to run all the way to the door in a dress in a bumpy crashing airplane

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

and it's hard to run all the way to the door in a dress in a bumpy crashing airplane

LMAO. you sir owe me a keyboard. since mine is now covered in coke. thanks.
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

I only have an A with 72 jumps to my name.

YOu just answered your own question. give it time. You will be begging to sit by the door.

Even moreso after the dz's mexican food night:S

Hell, my first 10-15 jumps I fell out... and IIRC... those damn AFFIs pushed me for most of them!

Damn! I've always kind of thought it would be a trip to fall or get pushed out unexpectedly then have to react, I never really thought it would happen though.