npgraphicdesign

Why am I still uncomfortable sitting by the door?

I still get jitters and don't like siting by the open door. What gives??:S

You afraid to fall out? :D

Above 1500' I dont mind sitting next to an open door, I actually like looking out during the climb. Its the safest spot on the plane! (if the plane isnt wanting to fly any longer, I get out first bitches!)

Do some H&P's and make sure you check the spot really well, it might just be a fear of heights and it might help to get used to getting out low.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

You afraid to fall out? :D

Above 1500' I dont mind sitting next to an open door, I actually like looking out during the climb. Its the safest spot on the plane! (if the plane isnt wanting to fly any longer, I get out first bitches!)

Do some H&P's and make sure you check the spot really well, it might just be a fear of heights and it might help to get used to getting out low.

of course I'm afraid of falling out of a plane...who isn't...

and good thought on the H&Ps. Will give me a chance to give one of the camera guys at the door a two finger salute as I exit. ;)

let me know when you figure it out

if you don't know after several thousand jumps, guess there's no hope for me!!:ph34r::D

FIFY
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

there is some sort of physics.... which could explain it,,,but if your ass is parked on the floor of the plane AND you don't MOVE towards the door....
you will STAY planted to the floor of the plane,,, in any sort of banked turn, even up to a barrel roll....
The door of the plane is always CLOSED ??? right??? for take -off,,, and until at least a thousand feet.. Right???
in some planes,, cessnas for example,, it's closed til exit..
As long as your gear had been checked, before you put it on,,, and as long as it is fastend secured and ready to go, from the moment you board...
it should be NO issue to be near the door,,, with it OPEN, above 1,000 feet...
do NOt go sticking things out !! likes arms and legs and heads and cameras,,, at any altitude from which you'd hesitate to do a conventional exit... and you'll be fine..
Above that,, on a hot day, with an open door, as per the approval of the P.I.C. it is EXTRA refreshing to look around outside, take in the windblast... and enjoy yourself,,, In those cases a good strong hold, onto the interior floater bar,, with at least ONE hand, should help you build the confidence to render being near the door,,, a "non issue"
good luck
jimmytavino

I love being the only one getting out low on the doorless 206 at my home dz. I get to sit right in the door and look out. I do brace myself/hold on to something until just about 1000' (and above if i'm sticking my head out the door too).

Only reason I can think of for this being the case is that I'm used to getting out low, came up a static line progression, and still often go for the low hop and pop.

I'd second the idea of getting out on some low passes, the idea that you can get stable quick and pull might just help you.

Why am I still uncomfortable sitting by the (open)door?

Hopefully it is because you realize that if your pilot chute or bag get out, you (if not everyone in the plane) are in big trouble.

I imagine YouTube has a video or two to confirm this feeling.

I am fine sitting by a completely open door. I get nervous when people crack the door a little bit. If the door is wide open, I can leap out if a pilot chute flies. If it's open a crack and a pilot chute escapes, I'd be going through the plane.

This is why I think if you want the door open it should be open all the way.

of course I'm afraid of falling out of a plane...who isn't...

Raises hand: ME!

I'm wearing a parachuteB|

We should made a poll about this: are you afraid of falling out of an airplane: Yes or No. I think we'd get an overwhelming majority of no in this forum.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Has anyone ever heard of some one falling out of an open door?

I was sitting next to the open door in a PAC a few weeks back, when a friend next to me grabbed my shoulders and gave me a push, he never let go of me but it was a very strange feeling for a split second.

there is some sort of physics.... which could explain it,,,but if your ass is parked on the floor of the plane AND you don't MOVE towards the door....
you will STAY planted to the floor of the plane,,, in any sort of banked turn, even up to a barrel roll....
The door of the plane is always CLOSED ??? right??? for take -off,,, and until at least a thousand feet.. Right???
in some planes,, cessnas for example,, it's closed til exit..
As long as your gear had been checked, before you put it on,,, and as long as it is fastend secured and ready to go, from the moment you board...
it should be NO issue to be near the door,,, with it OPEN, above 1,000 feet...
do NOt go sticking things out !! likes arms and legs and heads and cameras,,, at any altitude from which you'd hesitate to do a conventional exit... and you'll be fine..
Above that,, on a hot day, with an open door, as per the approval of the P.I.C. it is EXTRA refreshing to look around outside, take in the windblast... and enjoy yourself,,, In those cases a good strong hold, onto the interior floater bar,, with at least ONE hand, should help you build the confidence to render being near the door,,, a "non issue"
good luck
jimmytavino

.... ,,,....,,, ....??????,,, ??? ,, ,, .. ,,, ... ,,, !! ,,, ... .. ,, ... ,,, ,, ,,,

I had to remove all the words from your post because I suspected, with all the unnecessary punctuation marks, there must be a secret code in there. :D

skreamer bad

BAWAAAAHAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classic!

Is that video still around somewhere??? I remember totally laughing my ass off watching that one ... :) ... got a good chuckle just remembering it!
As long as you are happy with yourself ... who cares what the rest of the world thinks?

Has anyone ever heard of some one falling out of an open door?

From what I have observed, it happens quite often. I see the plane take off with several people on board but when it returns only the pilot is on board. :D

That's funny, you have some profound insight and incredible wit.

I can remember more than a few loads at more than a few Herd Boogies where we'd just get wheels up and Scotty Carbone would open the door, whip his legs out and just sit there. It would drive the rest of the people on the load nuts!! I used to burst out laughing...

...probably didn't help the situation much, did I?...

I do too, you're not alone. I am still envious of people who can sit close to the door [on the floor when the plane is full] and have their feet hanging out when they have the door open above 1000' on a hot day. I think having a little bit of fear before a jump is healthy right? :)