skybytch

Jumping On Anti-seizure Meds

What sort of dosage are you on with the Keppra? My wife's on 750mg twice daily and she went from 4 grand mal per day to no major seizures in over three years. She still has a few petit mal seizures but we can cope with those together.
Atheism is a Non-Prophet Organisation

No aura or advance notice. They started me at 500mg twice a day after pumping me up with Dilantin in the ER. I see the neurologist tomorrow. Already had 2 CAT scans, an EEG and an MRI, all "normal".

How long does it take to adjust to the meds and be able to do normal stuff again? Six hours after taking a pill I'm still fried. We have a backpacking trip to go on in 8 days... I don't think I could walk a mile without a pack right now, much less 5 miles a day carrying 25 pounds.

I am not a doctor and do not personally have seizures. My brother-in-law does have a seizure disorder but he has been able to be seizure free for years with just a small dose of Tegretol.

A conservative recommendation would be to follow the rules for a driver's license after seizures. Commonly (and in my state) that is 6 months seizure free.
"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

Please consult with the prescribing physician and those involved in your treatment. They know much more about you and your condition, and while they are probably lacking in specific skydiving knowledge, will have information as to other "high risk" activities. You may not like what they say, but they are trying to keep you from killing yourself and those around you.

Shopping for medical advice on the 'net is a "high risk" activity....;)

Jump more, post less!

Top,

I doubt the Bytch is shopping, more just looking for kindred souls that can shed some light on their situation.

I look forward to jumping with her and her man again. The last time was very special. One of my all time favorites.

:)

50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Shopping for medical advice on the 'net is a "high risk" activity...

Yeah, I've been on the internet long enough to know that, thanks. :S

Doc said three months on meds without a repeat and I can drive again. If I can drive, I can jump. This is doable.

The no drinking part is gonna suck though. :ph34r:

skybytch

Shopping for medical advice on the 'net is a "high risk" activity...

Yeah, I've been on the internet long enough to know that, thanks. :S

Doc said three months on meds without a repeat and I can drive again. If I can drive, I can jump. This is doable.

The no drinking part is gonna suck though. :ph34r:

I was just looking out for our friend....

Carry on.

Jump more, post less!

Yes, I am om 1000 mg of Depakin daily and have been since before I started jumping. My seizures are well under control, I do not jump without an AAD.

Though I have been seizure free for over twelve years now, I am very reluctant to stop taking my meds.
That means no scuba diving, plane flying or truck driving etc. because for these activities there are rules about how long you have to have been seizure free without meds.
For skydiving it has bever been an issue. Being used to the dosage of the meds I took, I easily passed the medical requirements though I also was upfront about my "condition" when I got the medical.

Personally I don't feel that there is additional value to demanding a seizure free interval without taking anti-epileptica. In my opinion that's a relic from the old days, when epi's were supposed to sit in a wheelchair with a bag over their heads.

Like you, I do not experience an aura, but I'm very lucky that my triggers are sleepiness and drowsiness. I think it would be good if you tried to determine what yours are.

In response to a person above: a neurologist might be biased towards Bytch not skydiving, because of the standard whuffo reaction. Of course, it is necessary to consult a neurologist, but I'd advised a younger doctor. They are generally thought to be more open minded towards patients participating in activities that are not concurrent with the epilepsy stereotype. Why not go to a disco (strobes) if flashing lights do not set you off? Or, Why not skydive in due time if stress/adrenalin arent your triggers?

I'm not sure I agree with the 'I can jump when I can drive' reasoning as I feel that three months might be a little on the early side. The body might develop a certain tolerance for the drug in question. Of course, this is without knowing the OP or her situation.

Disclaimer: I am not an expert, nor a doctor.
"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom