ACMESkydiver

GI Bill/College Fund to get a rigger's ticket??

Has anyone had any luck at all using their GI Bill or College Fund benefits to pursue anything in Skydiving?? I wanted to try to use it as vocational to get my B, C, D, PRO, and instructor ratings, but that isn't moving in the right direction...how about rigging? Anyone had any luck??

Let me know! I'm about to be unemployed...[:/]
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Haven't thought about it in that manner. Have you contacted the Vet? On the websiteyou can do a search for accepted 'certifications/training". It lists everything from Personal Trainer certs/ etc....I've used it for 2 personal trainer certs before and it was pretty simple. For skydiving though...all I've been able to do it save the money while I'm in school (after tuition/books) and use it that way. I'd call the Vet directly and ask, because it's "professional training" and anything can be "waivered".

Unfortunately, no. GI Bill benefits requires that there be a "school or training facility" which is registered with the VA. There aren't rigging schools, and even if there were, they would be hard pressed for the VA to certify them as such.

The regulations for VA MGIB benefits only allow for university degrees, business/vocational school, union apprenticeship, correspondence courses, and flight training.

Maybe if there were a rigger's union....but then our reserve repacks would go out the roof!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

Haven't thought about it in that manner. Have you contacted the Vet? On the websiteyou can do a search for accepted 'certifications/training". It lists everything from Personal Trainer certs/ etc....I've used it for 2 personal trainer certs before and it was pretty simple. For skydiving though...all I've been able to do it save the money while I'm in school (after tuition/books) and use it that way. I'd call the Vet directly and ask, because it's "professional training" and anything can be "waivered".

If I can't use it to go to a Senior Rigger's course, like the one in Eloy, I'll prolly use it for Personal Trainer stuff...I need to get back into shape anyhoo, and this would be a great excuse to do it!

Thanks, I am going to call the local VA...[:/]
~Jaye

i was actually looking to use my active duty benifit of the military paying for one "profesional certification" and was wanting to use it for a tandem rating.... just havn't loked into it to see if it is possible....

I would suggest attending the American School of Parachute Rigging in Eloy, Arizona. It is right beside Rigging Innovations.
Since the US Army, Navy, etc routinely send active duty parachute riggers there to earn their FAA Master Rigger licenses, it should be a simple matter to convince the Veteran's Administration that it is a legitimate educational expense.
By the same token, most of the military tandem instructors are trained to standards written by manufacturers. And AFAIK, all those military tandem examiners hold rating issued by tandem manufacturers, so the first two dozen tandem jumps are exactly the same - civilian or military. It is only when military TIs start jumping with ruck sacks, rifles and snowshoes that the programs diverge.

Just takes some stuff at a local Community collage, and take the extra and jump it away.

I get paid 985.00 per mth to go to school full time.

If I was not going to an expensive school that would be a lot of jump money.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

I would suggest attending the American School of Parachute Rigging in Eloy, Arizona. It is right beside Rigging Innovations.
Since the US Army, Navy, etc routinely send active duty parachute riggers there to earn their FAA Master Rigger licenses, it should be a simple matter to convince the Veteran's Administration that it is a legitimate educational expense.
By the same token, most of the military tandem instructors are trained to standards written by manufacturers. And AFAIK, all those military tandem examiners hold rating issued by tandem manufacturers, so the first two dozen tandem jumps are exactly the same - civilian or military. It is only when military TIs start jumping with ruck sacks, rifles and snowshoes that the programs diverge.

I tried that. I sent a message over to them in Eloy and they replied back saying that they are in the process of getting approval, but that it wouldn't be done until 2005. :(

Ah well, if I can wait that long, I will still have entitlement for 11 months of 2005! :)
~Jaye

Check the site, and when it doubt...call them....you never know

what site??? web site? the place giving the instruction.... not sure on the context of site....

what site??? web site? the place giving the instruction.... not sure on the context of site....

Not to step on Spatula's toes but he might mean the GI Bill website: http://www.gibill.va.gov/

It has some good information... it does imply that Parachute Rigger Certification is a valid GI Bill reimbursement and also implys that any instruction to get the Certification is also reimbursable.

I hope this helps.

Scott
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

You could always re-up for 4 years with a MOS of 92R... (Parachute Rigger) I am sure you could test out for your FAA ticket pretty easily after that... if they dont give you one as part of the training... ;)

Re-up...s-u-r-e, why didn't I think of that? Oh yeah, because I've been out for 9 years! :P;) Tee-hee. Thanks, but naw. I'm a civilian now, and waaaaay too much to take care of here. I'd pay for it before I'd re-up. :ph34r:
~Jaye

If I'm not mistaken (which is quite possible) the GI Bill is only eligible to be used for 10 years post seperation. Better hurry!!!

Yes you're right...it will be my 10 year anniversary of my out on 10 Nov 2005!!! Yep, gotta hurry...:o
~Jaye