Rudderow

could my most recent pack job lead to a mal?

the last time I packed (this past sunday) i noticed something as i was stowing my risers. my left brake toggle had come unstowed. i proceeded to stow it and then tuck the riser under the riser flap. Next i put the bag in the tray but realized that the left brake line was now MUCH shorter than the rest of the lines. I deduce that the brake/toggle came unstowed at some time after getting the canopy in the bag but before i starting rubber-banding the lines. i will probably re-pack before i jump, but just wondering what would be the most likely effect upon deployment? i know that there will be more tension on that one line until the canopy comes out of the bag. but would that line snap? will it put me in a spin? i haven't had a malfunction yet (other than line twists that i kicked out of). so i'm a little nervous about having my first cutaway. i'm tempted to just jump it and see what happens, but i also want to be safe and know the results to expect / to prevent.

PMS #165 Swooo #613 CSA #687

If in doubt...

A repack is in order even if only to remove the doubt in your mind during your next jump.

No need to add unnecessary stress.

I could offer an opinion on what improperly stowed brakes could result in, but having never had such a problem myself it would only be conjecture on my part. So I leave those explanations to the experts.

That being said I don't imagine there are many good out comes.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Just jump it and see what happens is never a safe route to go.

Essentially, when your canopy leaves your container, it will be cocked up on one side, as the lines are shorter on one side. This has a very good chance of spinning up your deployment bag while the lines are unstowing, so very likely line twists. This is essentially the problem that people experience when their risers leave their container uneven on opening. When you spin up risers uneven, this could very well cause a spinning canopy while you have line twists, which most the time will be something you'll need to cut away.

Moral of the story, just repack it, if only for peace of mind!

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I could offer an opinion on what improperly stowed brakes could result in, but having never had such a problem myself it would only be conjecture on my part. So I leave those explanations to the experts.

Screw the experts; it's all about the conjecture! B|

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

If in doubt...

A repack is in order even if only to remove the doubt in your mind during your next jump.

No need to add unnecessary stress.

That being said I don't imagine there are many good out comes.

I've decide to change my earlier response...

I like this one much more :)

But excitement of whats going to happen is to much fun.

Sort of goes with the other safety phrase "Watch this! This'll be cool!
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

When in doubt, repack. If you're like me, you can use the practice anyway.

I've had three openings with a toggle fire in the last few months, though I'll note I didn't pack them. I did set the brakes however, and I'm wondering if the method I'm using to secure the excess on the wings riser is contributing.

Being a bit head down at pull may also have been a cause. In two I got smacked in the lips by a riser(s) and perhaps that freed it. In the other I was in a line twist - as soon as I got that out I found myself in the hard spiral. So I don't know if in any of them the brake was unset before opening, or when exactly it happened.

The spiral is something - a bit more forceful then I guess I imagined. I can see why many people jump right to cutaway, and I'm flying a docile triathlon.

Zen for Skydivers... by Zig.

A malfunction is always a result of the last pack-job.

:P

... but seriously, if you have that much doubt, take 20min sometime this week to repack your rig in your living room..
;)

... of course, I've seen folk stress over a pack-job, pull it out, pack it again, go up and have a mal... did they make the same mistake twice... would that pack-job they were stressing over that they pulled apart have worked... was it just "time"... or were their some strange forces at work from the Pack-Job Gods???

*cue spooky music*

Maybe it best to make an offering of stow bands and pull-up cords to the Pack-Job Gods before jumping next to ensure a good opening... you do have a shrine at your local DZ... don't you???
;)

When in doubt, repack. If you're like me, you can use the practice anyway.

I've had three openings with a toggle fire in the last few months, though I'll note I didn't pack them. I did set the brakes however, and I'm wondering if the method I'm using to secure the excess on the wings riser is contributing.

Being a bit head down at pull may also have been a cause. In two I got smacked in the lips by a riser(s) and perhaps that freed it. In the other I was in a line twist - as soon as I got that out I found myself in the hard spiral. So I don't know if in any of them the brake was unset before opening, or when exactly it happened.

The spiral is something - a bit more forceful then I guess I imagined. I can see why many people jump right to cutaway, and I'm flying a docile triathlon.

Kelp,
In my time jumping, I've had one break come unstowed on opening maybe a handful of times... I've had both breaks come unstowed on opening once that I distinctly remember; none resulted in a reserve ride for me... I recall another time looking across a 40-way formation and seeing a guy dock with about 2 to 3 feet of steering line and toggle trailing, obviously he had one break unstowed, besides being glad he was on the other side of the formation from me, I thought for sure he would have a mal and reserve ride... he didn't. Just goes to show... "luck" is a good thing.

:ph34r:

you do have a shrine at your local DZ... don't you???

Yes, we do. We worship there every weekend. There's even a special light to tell us when it's time to attend. We then take up a collection, receive communion, and give thanks.

It's called a 'bar' :P.