cstaffa

Dropzone Gypsy

I really enjoy being a dropzone gypsy... In Texas we have almost as many dropzones as we have Walmart stores... from small Cessna DZ's like Skydive Groundrush in Kountze, Texas and Skydive Aggieland in Bryan, Texas to large turbine DZ's like Skydive Spaceland, Skyidve Houston, Skydive San Marcos and Skydive Dallas... Each offers skydivers something different... some have more aircraft, some better facilities, some better parties...All offer me something different in this awesome sport of skydiving. I encourage skydivers to check out all of the DZ's in their state and surrounding areas... Don't avoid a dz because someone says it is a "tandem factory" or the people are rude. Go find out for yourself what each dz has to offer you and make your own decision! I'm not sure which DZ to call my "home DZ" till I figure it out I'm just gonna be happy as a DZ Gypsy. :P

I used to be a DZ gypsy in 1999-2001.

At first I loved it, getting to see all the different DZ's. I went to Quincy, Chicago, Florida, AZ, Perris and of course the home DZ's in Texas and Arkansas.

After a while I found it kinda lonely. If I just popped in for a few days it's hard to get to know anyone. Skydivers are "friendly", but are hard to become "friends" with. Often you end up jumping alone because no one really knows your skills.

And when you are a newby (100-200 jumps) with only moderate skills, you are a little afraid to mess up someone elses jump.

OF COURSE, it helps to be a hottie...(cstaffa)...lol
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5

I used to be a DZ gypsy in 1999-2001.

At first I loved it, getting to see all the different DZ's. I went to Quincy, Chicago, Florida, AZ, Perris and of course the home DZ's in Texas and Arkansas.

After a while I found it kinda lonely. If I just popped in for a few days it's hard to get to know anyone. Skydivers are "friendly", but are hard to become "friends" with. Often you end up jumping alone because no one really knows your skills.

And when you are a newby (100-200 jumps) with only moderate skills, you are a little afraid to mess up someone elses jump.

OF COURSE, it helps to be a hottie...(cstaffa)...lol

Hmm. Never thought of this. My job will allow me to move around the country whenever I want to, and I never thought about this aspect of it.
Some people spend their whole lives afraid to die that they never truly live.

...Go find out for yourself what each dz has to offer you and make your own decision!

You have a great attitude, and this is some of the best advise that a new jumper can hear. I think many people stunt their growth in skydiving by never leaving their "Home DZ". They become victims of ingrown thinking and the locals' sometimes narrow viewpoints. Traveling allows one to see new ways of doing things and new possibilities - plus there are many new friends to make along the way. Many who never venture away from home, don't even know what they are missing. They think they know about other places, but their only knowledge is based on someone elses' opinion.

You have a great attitude, and this is some of the best advise that a new jumper can hear. I think many people stunt their growth in skydiving by never leaving their "Home DZ". They become victims of ingrown thinking and the locals' sometimes narrow viewpoints. Traveling allows one to see new ways of doing things and new possibilities - plus there are many new friends to make along the way. Many who never venture away from home, don't even know what they are missing. They think they know about other places, but their only knowledge is based on someone elses' opinion.

I was told this sooo many times when I was jumping at Fort Bragg. We had the best aircraft skydivers could ask for but the load organization was horrible and it was hard to learn anything. Often we would just get out and build a star on the low man... ZOO LOAD!! We could go to Raeford but that was more of a style & accuracy DZ though some did some 4 way out there. Some friends and I did a lot of CRW there too. Big ways never happened back then.

I really wish I'd taken the time to go to Z-Hills or Deland in those days... maybe the Freak Brothers boogie which is now the World Skydiving Convention. A few jumpers did travel. And they always turned out to be the best big way RW jumpers around.

Are there still any DC-3s out there? Most of my jumps are helicopter jumps. I never had the opportunity to jump from one.
What about Caribous or Skyvans? I loves me a tailgate! B|

Are there still any DC-3s out there?

Skydive Arizona will fly theirs from time to time, usually at their big boogies. :)
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Are there still any DC-3s out there?

Skydive Arizona will fly theirs from time to time, usually at their big boogies. :)

I just saw a short clip of a vid that had Southern Cross in Chicago this summer. Of course, she's sporting a completely different paint job but I have it on good authority.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

It probably is a little easier for women to fit in to the DZ but as the others have already said that i'm sure it's your attitude (and not your other assets) that helps you fit in... (although i've never been jealous of a hook knife before :P )

However if you ever get the itch to come and jump in Europe i'm sure you'll find the atmosphere is just as good here ...

Enjoy your gypsy life and enjoy every minute of getting to meet such a great bunch of people that make up the skydiving community...

Have fun!

James

Skydive Dallas is amazing... I went there a couple of weeks ago and while on the plane a young man saw I was jumping by myself. He asked me what I was doing, I told him I was just gonna work on my sitfly, he offered to jump with me... OMG... I told him I wasn't very good but he said that was ok. We planned something out and it was one of the funnest fun jumps I have ever made... thanks Bill Dawson and Skydive Dallas for being so wonderful!

I am going to be in Houston in a couple weeks, which ones would you recommend that I make sure to hit while I am there?

Thanks,
Scooter McFly

Scooter... Text me when you get to town... I'll meet ya at the DZ of choice... 281-309-8474.

Houston has two dz's, both turnbine dz's...

Skydive Houston has the best skydiver nightlife around, an inground pool, a goat for a mascot and some of the coolest skydiver's around. Its a turbine dropzone with the vibe of a cessna dz.

Skydive Spaceland has a fleet of planes (including the skyvan, otters, caravans) and they are always flying. Not hard to get on a load here, one of the premire dropzones in our sport... the facilities are amazing... after the last load though everyone goes home.

Its just what you are looking for... we are fortunate to have such great dropzones in our back yard.

"Skydive Houston has the best skydiver nightlife around, an inground pool, a goat for a mascot and some of the coolest skydiver's around. Its a turbine dropzone with the vibe of a cessna dz. "

Honest officer!!! I was just helping that goat over the fence!!!!
Take chances, just do it with all the information to make good decisions!!

Muff Brother# 2706 Dudeist Skydiver# 121.5