discovery4

Would you ever give advice in a PM that you wouldn't give in a public forum?

In my short time as a member of this site and with very few posts, I have received several PM's with a "disclaimer" of sorts. Basically, the sender will preface whatever the main point of the PM is with, "I'm sending this in a PM because it goes against traditional wisdom and I don't want to be bashed by random people or judged by those who know me." Paraphrasing of course.

My opinion on the matter is even if what you say is nontraditional, unless it is wrong, you should not only be able to, but to want to defend it. I can say, or believe, that gravity doesn't exist. However ,if I try to argue that with a skydiver, or a physicist, that person would quickly shoot holes in my argument.

My opinion on the matter is even if what you say is nontraditional, unless it is wrong, you should not only be able to, but to want to defend it.

Being wrong has never seemed to stop anyone on this site. Just got screamed at (all bold type) by a guy the other day. He hasn't jumped in 20 years, but still knew everything about the sport based on his last skydiving years.
This is the paradox of skydiving. We do something very dangerous, expose ourselves to a totally unnecesary risk, and then spend our time trying to make it safer.

In my short time as a member of this site and with very few posts, I have received several PM's with a "disclaimer" of sorts. Basically, the sender will preface whatever the main point of the PM is with, "I'm sending this in a PM because it goes against traditional wisdom and I don't want to be bashed by random people or judged by those who know me." Paraphrasing of course.

My opinion on the matter is even if what you say is nontraditional, unless it is wrong, you should not only be able to, but to want to defend it. I can say, or believe, that gravity doesn't exist. However ,if I try to argue that with a skydiver, or a physicist, that person would quickly shoot holes in my argument.

I am kind of a what you see is what you get person.

If I think someone is headed toward trouble... I will tell them directly.

I do sketchy shit in the air.. and I know it... BUT... I do it with a risk assesment that includes a hell of a lot of experience and the full knowledge that if shit happens.. I will probably die pretty damn quickly.
I also go to great lengths to insure that the equipment I am using is up to the task.. with again... full knowledge that if something outside of a hell of a lot of peoples experience happens... well you can do everything right in this sport.. and it can STILL kill you.

well you can do everything right in this sport.. and it can STILL kill you.

NOW ya tell me?! :o:S:P

Hey if you don't think that the consequences of having a premature opening on the bottom end of a speed skydive has not occured to me..... I KNOW that shit WILL kill me if a canopy came out to play at 325MPH+

If I was jumping an old C-9.... I MIGHT be able to survive it based on shit I have seen during ejections... but my square.... not a chance.

I have seen some rookies from my dz post some questionable stuff on here. I generally reply to them privately because I know they're actually smart and willing to listen even if they don't come across that way on here :-) Generally I do private posts when I don't feel like being flamed (is this dz better than this dz?) or if its a rookie I know asking questions..

I am kind of a what you see is what you get person.

If I think someone is headed toward trouble... I will tell them directly.

I do sketchy shit in the air.. and I know it... BUT... I do it with a risk assesment that includes a hell of a lot of experience and the full knowledge that if shit happens.. I will probably die pretty damn quickly.
I also go to great lengths to insure that the equipment I am using is up to the task.. with again... full knowledge that if something outside of a hell of a lot of peoples experience happens... well you can do everything right in this sport.. and it can STILL kill you.

ROFLMAO....

A general rule in life is, praise in public, criticize in private.

However, the deciding factor would be whether your are
providing new information.

The arguments are generally based on a perceived difference in information and presentation.

New jumpers believe they have considered all the factors.
More experienced jumpers believe that the new ones don't understand all the factors.

So, the key in public discussions is to provide information, but in a non-confrontational way.
(This all goes out the window if someone is just trolling
and just wishes to pick a fight)

Yes, I would. A couple of times I've made statements here that were technically incorrect. A few of those times, an experienced, respected person here has PM'd me research suggestions or advise that worked well as guidance for me to make my posts more accurate.
Owned by Remi #?

(This all goes out the window if someone is just trolling
and just wishes to pick a fight)

Yup and then to prevent being banned on a highly moderated forum... you just gotta take it to PM's:P:P:P

AND tell it like it is there:)

That may not keep you from being banned.
It depends on who is trolling you, doesn't it ?
:ph34r: