rvmnw

Weight concern

Hi all

I have a question. I will be starting my AFF course in 2 weeks time and the weight limit is a 100kg. Now I am on this limit so I just want to know will this effect my jump in anyway. Will it be more difficult to stay stable or will it be harder to keep control and land under canopy??

Hi all

I have a question. I will be starting my AFF course in 2 weeks time and the weight limit is a 100kg. Now I am on this limit so I just want to know will this effect my jump in anyway. Will it be more difficult to stay stable or will it be harder to keep control and land under canopy??

No and not really.

Stability in freefall is dependent on body position and symmetry. Read the "Small woman" thread in the Women's forum for more detail.

Under canopy, you will be going faster than the lightweights, both faster forward and faster down. You will have a little less room for error, but you should be under a big enough canopy that you shouldn't have any problems.

The biggest reason for the weight limit is the certification of the gear. It is tested and certified to an establised maximum weight (around 115 kg if my math is right). That weight includes you and all the gear you have on.

Going over that weight (even by a little bit) is against the rules.

Bigger guys can (and do) jump, but it takes special gear to do so legally.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I am 6’ 5” tall (77 inches, or 195.6cm) and weigh 225-230 lbs (102 to 104 kilos). My first jump was on a canopy that is 290 square feet. In skydiving, we use a formula to calculate “wing loading”. You take the exit weight divided by the canopy square feet. Using 230 pounds for me and 25 pounds for my rig (255 lbs. / 290 sq ft = .88:1). In other word, each square foot of canopy is carrying .88 pounds. For a student we want to keep the wing loading less than 1:1. This configuration is considered safe and the canopy will fly and flare nicely. As you can see, even though I am at the top end of the weight limit, I am still wing loading this canopy to an acceptable level. If you hear someone talk about “downsizing”, this will be a progression taken later on. Once you learn canopy skills and get ready to purchase your own gear, flying a slightly higher wing loaded canopy will be more fun. I now fly a 190 square foot canopy. I am wing loading at 1.3:1. This is a little too high for my jump numbers, but under my instructors supervision and advise, I am making it work. It seems like a lot of information, but give it some time and get some experience. It will all start to make sense in due time.

One thing to consider, beyond wing loading, is body type. You would have a tough time fitting into a rig if your body was not proportional to your height.

Good luck and enjoy. Don’t worry about your weight. When I started freefalling, I fell like a rock. Now that I have somewhat learned body position, I don’t have much problem with fall rate.

Blues…
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

+1 for a kick ass explanation, jdathome.

All I can add to that is a jumpsuit is an awesome tool to help learn in freefall. Your AFF instructors might provide you with a student jumpsuit but if not I would highly recommend you find one.

Yes, I'm still very new, but I know for a fact that a jumpsuit is a lot of help. If really experienced guys tell you a jumpsuit isn't necessary it's probably because they forgot how much help it is and well... they're experienced so they don't need one to fly well. It IS possible to learn without one too (disclaimer).

Thanks for the great explanation.

I am 5' 9" (180cm) tall and weigh 220 lbs (100kg). Will probably be down to 98kg's by next weekend.
So I believe my body is in proportion to my height. But I feel more confident now so now I will have to wait and see what my instructor will say.

So I take it with a wing loading of 1.3:1 you will move much faster than with a wing loading of 0.9:1 for example?? Or am I understanding this wrong?

Thanks for the great explanation.

I am 5' 9" (180cm) tall and weigh 220 lbs (100kg). Will probably be down to 98kg's by next weekend.
So I believe my body is in proportion to my height. But I feel more confident now so now I will have to wait and see what my instructor will say.

So I take it with a wing loading of 1.3:1 you will move much faster than with a wing loading of 0.9:1 for example?? Or am I understanding this wrong?

You have it right. The higher wingloading will give you a higher speed. It will also make the canopy more responsive. It will turn quicker, dive faster, generally get you into trouble more easily.

That's why student canopies are big. 290 is a fairly common "first jump" size. Smaller jumpers may or may not progress to smaller canopies, such as 260 or 235 (downsizing) during their training, while still keeping a sensible wingloading.

The specifics of this, what canopy the DZ uses, what kind of downsizing progression you should follow and so on are questions best left to the instructors who will be teaching you.
This place is great for general info (like your OP), but not so much for questions that are dependent on you and your specific needs/situation.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

You are on the right track. With higher wing loads you have more forward speed, or we call it drive. But you also have more vertical speed. In other word you are falling faster. My first jump on the 190 I was told to plan my landing in the wide open area of the LZ. Sounded like a good idea! I took my downwind leg out a ways and turned to base, then final. Oh man, I couldn't beleive how short I was of my spot.
Marriage is like a deck of cards. You start with two harts and a diamond only to discover you wish you had a club and a spade!

+1 for a kick ass explanation, jdathome.

All I can add to that is a jumpsuit is an awesome tool to help learn in freefall. Your AFF instructors might provide you with a student jumpsuit but if not I would highly recommend you find one.

Yes, I'm still very new, but I know for a fact that a jumpsuit is a lot of help. If really experienced guys tell you a jumpsuit isn't necessary it's probably because they forgot how much help it is and well... they're experienced so they don't need one to fly well. It IS possible to learn without one too (disclaimer).

learn to fly your body. then when you can utilize your full range, get the suit. you don't want to start out with a handicap, and then have to learn to fly without a suit.

i weigh 230 but started at 250 when i was in aff. i didnt have any more problems than the average sized aff student.

you canopy will fly a little faster than the average weight jumper, but that wont make a difference to you because its your first jump and you don't have a reference.

i am new too so all this is bullshit;)

blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

Hi all

You have more energy to deal with on landing than a smaller person without having bones that are proportionally stronger so you're more likely to break a leg if you do something bone-headed.

The forces on the canopy line groups need to sum to your weight, so it'll take more strength to pull on toggles than it would for a smaller person. This won't be a problem.

You'll fall faster than a smaller person in the same body position so your instructors may put you in a baggier suit.

Otherwise there aren't any real differences.

Buy youself a baggy jumpy jump suit with some swoop cords, that way you will learn how to adjust your fall rat to match others. Bev makes such a jumpsuit as does Tony. Good Luck, Take care & may god bless you & yours.
-Richard-
"You're Holding The Rope And I'm Taking The Fall"

If suppose it's a jump later on through the course and it is that time to release. A 120kg jumper becomes unsteady and begins to potato chip do u dare give them the arch signal?
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp