Helix

canopy courses for beginners

With my only six months in this sport I often watch friends go off to canopy courses and coming back with big smiles on their face. Happy that they now know the right way to make the most of the time from when they pull until they land. It's no longer just a way to get down but also fun and new challenges.

I sit there and think "well, it's only three-fours years until that's you."

I sort of feel like someone gave me a car and said "here is how you start it and this is the thing you use to stop it, now come back in a few years and i will teach you how to use it." Many, many accidents happen beacause of stupid behaviour under the canopy. Maybe I'm not brave enough, but i just don't fell like trying things without the proper knowledge of what i'm doing. Asking five different people you will get five different answers for how to do a flare. Good thing they teach you how to fall, beacuse in the end you just have to try until you find out what really works best. I want canopycourses for beginners! And i'm not asking to be doing all the difficult stuff now, i just want to learn more. I want to learn from people who really know what they're talking about.

I know that in norway we learn more about canopy-control that in other countries, f.ex for our b-lisence. But still it's really nothing when i think of what we SHOULD know. So why are there never courses for people with less than 3-500 jumps. Or is this just a problem I see in Scandinavia? Are there no experts willing to teach the less exciting stuff? I would think there was money in it, beacuse we are a lot of people with less than 500 jumps out there.
Any thoughts? Am I the only one who feels this way?
"minds are like parachutes. They only function when open."

So why are there never courses for people with less than 3-500 jumps. Or is this just a problem I see in Scandinavia?

I'm Danish, and the canopy control courses I have seen offered in DK have all been aimed at new license holders, with a possibility for more experienced people to participate and pick up some tricks.

If you really want a canopy control course now, Brian Germain is going to be in Denmark next week giving (among other things) a canopy control course. The price is 300 DKR (to non-Scandinavians: This is the price of two jumps). Info to be found on http://westjump.dk/. His course has a good reputation, but I have never taken it myself.
HF #682, Team Dirty Sanchez #227
“I simply hate, detest, loathe, despise, and abhor redundancy.”
- Not quite Oscar Wilde...

Are there no experts willing to teach the less exciting stuff?

Scott Miller insists that even those who come to him for swoop coaching do his basic course first. Any jumper who is cleared to "self jumpmaster" can do his basic course; license not required.

Brian Germain teaches the basics before he moves into the advanced material. I'm yet to meet any coach with their skin that did not first teach the entry skills before moving on to more advanced topics. If Brian will be near you soon try to get to his class, you'll be glad you did! :)
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Brian was teaching a course in sweden when i was there last week. Sadly it was aimed at instructors and i was told it was too advanced for me. However i bought his book "the parachute and its pilot" so that i can at learn the theory. Hmmm...looks like i have at better chance at finding a course in other countries than norway.
"minds are like parachutes. They only function when open."

Try maybe heading down to northern Spain, Brian Vacher (top UK canopy pilot) and his canopy school (http://www.safeflightschool.com) have just moved up to Empuria.

I did Brians three day course earlier this year with three of my friends and we had between 50 and 110 jumps each at the time, and I have to say it was absolutely spot on for our experience levels and to top it all he was a really nice bloke!

Definately worth looking into.

~~~ London Skydivers ~~~

>I sort of feel like someone gave me a car and said "here is how
>you start it and this is the thing you use to stop it, now come back
>in a few years and i will teach you how to use it."

Closer to "Here's how to drive this beat up Plymouth sedan. If you want to get a motorcycle, you better get some more training before you ride it." Sure, you can get a motorcycle like your friends did and learn on your own, but getting the training is a good idea in the long run.

>So why are there never courses for people with less than 3-500 jumps.

Some of this is covered in the USPA ISP. Other parts of it aren't. I (and several other people) have been pestering USPA for years to add a canopy-coach rating so there are more coaches available, but no luck yet.

From the BPA website it looks like Brian Vacher has 2 courses in the UK in August 9 - 12 Aug Cark and 13-14 UK Parachuting.

Having done one of Brians courses last weekend I can personally highly recomend them.

Never had so much fun under canopy without doing CReW, and the SAFE in the schools name does not imply boring. ;)
------------------------------------------------
We're a' just machines for makin' shite.

Are there no experts willing to teach the less exciting stuff?

Scott Miller insists that even those who come to him for swoop coaching do his basic course first. Any jumper who is cleared to "self jumpmaster" can do his basic course; license not required.

Bang on - I took Scotts course at the start of July with only 9 jumps to my name - and WELL worth it. Just dont ask me to do those damn toggle stalls again - please? ;)