BlunderHog

UPT Vector 3 M-series Question

I want to get into skydiving and I am pricing new gear. On the UPT website they list the Vector 3 M-series at 2400 plus the AAD which is 1500. That is 4000 bones basiclly. My question is does this come with a main and reserve at that price or is that extra. I couldn't email the site because my email is jacked. Hope you guys can provide me with some info.

As a student you will use the Dropzones gear for a while so don't worry about a rig to get started. Onceyou are cleared to jump on your own and knowwhat size gear you will need then look for used for your first rig. Its a lot cheaper and just as good as new plus when you screw up a landing and tumble and get it really dirty or scratched up it hurts the ego less!
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Sizing is what ever some one has for sale at the moment but usually unless you are weird shaped there is a rig that will work for you. Also most people go through a few size canopies until they settle into one for a couple of hundred jumps. The issue is containers can only hold a certain range of canopies. You can't toss a small canopy into a rig designed for large canopies.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Once you have your license, Definitely look at used market, either at your DZO, or a reputable retailer like Square One or Chuting Star. Talk it thorugh with your instructor and local rigger.

Given this was 10 years ago, my first rig was a used Mirage with AAD, Safire main, and PD reserve, all for around $3K. I downsized the main canopy one size (with a used main) after 400 jumps. I jumped that for another 100 jumps before I bought a new custom everything rig (a Vector3 M-Series BTW), which all ran about $6500 for container, main, reserve, cypres.

Buy used, save your money for more jumps before looking to buy new anything.

I'll answer your other two questions.

1. Used gear is very reliable. Skydiving gear is professionally inspected once or twice a year when the reserve is repacked. Also, if you bought used gear, it would be wise to have it inspected by a professional before purchase, they would tell you whether or not there were problems with it.

2. Skyhooks can be added to newer UPT rigs. Other manufacturer's rigs, no.
It's flare not flair, brakes not breaks, bridle not bridal, "could NOT care less" not "could care less".

to the O.P. , did you get a lot of information on the interwebz already ? What you know is you want a skyhook apparently...
Now please unlearn, forget everything you read everywhere, go take a course, listen from the people who will teach you there, and enjoy the journey.
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

Thanks PhreeZone. What is the best place for used gear. I am just so iffy about used gear. Who does the assembly of the rig if you buy it in parts?

Virgin-Burner-I have two jumps. I wasn't looking for a flow chart. You know step one, step two, and step three. Any more good advice?

Thanks everyone. Original question has been answered plus some good advice.

Piifish-I will take your advice with a spoon full of sugar because you are correct and that sounds like great advice.

I have a thousand more questions but I will let them wait until I get back from Cambodia. Thanks All.

ok, you didnt take my "good" advice; how about "buy a parachute with a really, really small number, like 69, preferably one that says "velocity" on it's side. then go to the dz, say you want to jump this. then report back to us!"
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

ok, you didnt take my "good" advice; how about "buy a parachute with a really, really small number, like 69, preferably one that says "velocity" on it's side. then go to the dz, say you want to jump this. then report back to us!"

And where exactly are you going to get a Velocity 69? :S

To the OP - just ignore him.
"The ground does not care who you are. It will always be tougher than the human behind the controls."

~ CanuckInUSA

"

... Who does the assembly of the rig if you buy it in parts? ..."

All parachutes must be inspected, assembled and packed by a licensed rigger (in the USA, a rigger licensed by the Federal Aviation Administration) before it can be jumped.
Consult your local rigger before laying down any money, because if you bring him/her a reserve considerably larger than the container, he/she will curse you!
OTOH if you bring him/her a reserve considerably smaller (than your weight) he/she will ask if your medical insurance is paid up.

OTOH if you bring him/her a reserve considerably smaller (than your weight) he/she will ask if your medical insurance is paid up.

With the caveat that it'll only get packed for you if the rigger is listed to receive a good amount of the insurance.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Chuting star suggest buying a new container and fitting it with a used main, reserve, and AAD. I like this idea. It is the best of both worlds. Any thoughts anyone? I am 6 foot 200lbs what size main and rerve would you guy suggest to put in the first rig?You know what is a standard range.

Chuting star suggest buying a new container and fitting it with a used main, reserve, and AAD. I like this idea. It is the best of both worlds. Any thoughts anyone? I am 6 foot 200lbs what size main and rerve would you guy suggest to put in the first rig?You know what is a standard range.

Let me understand, you are worried about a used container, but not about a used parachutes?

Failures of the harness/container are extremely rare.

Now, failures of reserve parachutes are pretty rare too.

But why would you worry less about one than the other?

As others have said, the problem with buying anything new now is that you will likely want to replace it relatively soon, and you will be the one eating the greatest depreciation on the value.

I understand you are excited and all enthused about the possibilities of skydiving.

Best to direct all that energy into being a good student skydiver now.

Anything container or parachutes you buy now you will not be allowed to jump for some time.

By then, it will be anybody's guess what you need or want.

Really, don't worry about gear now.

Get into skydiving and see how it all suits you.

There's plenty of time to worry about gear.