drhcanada

New CSPA card

The new CSPA member/CoP/ratings card is almost available to the general membership. Some were able to get one at the 2011 AGM in Moncton NB this past weekend and all other members will start receiving them as they renew. All who have renewed in the past few days will get the new card as well so no need to wait for your renewal just to get the new plastic card.

For those renewing early, example your membership expires in June 2011, you can renew now and you will get a new card that will be good until June 2012.

Those not wanting to renew early can order a “replacement” card for the normal fee of $15 though http://www.cspa.ca/newcard

The card layout can be seen on the attached picture showing where the information can be found for CoP and ratings as this will replace all existing CSPA cards.

The card is the same size and quality as a credit card with rounded corners and the first batch we opted to have a picture of Canada's Team Evolution. Next batch? who knows, with more time we will likely hold a vote for the favorite.
David Hodge
President | Eastern Regional Director
Canadian Sport Parachuting Association

Is it possible to have the member's photo on the card as well, or would that increase the costs too much? I only ask because the old member id cards had a color photo on them. In any case, photo or not, this is probably a big step up in quality over the existing cards.

I have yet to see a negative comment on the cards as yet... just waiting of course for the first :)
At this point in time we opted not to add a members photo as we have no way of verifying a persons identity and have nothing like the passport office has setup either, which is why the fine print on the card about using photo ID in conjunction.

What we are planning in the next few years is to allow custom backgrounds however at a cost to the member so that you can choose to have what ever (within reason) picture in the place of the one currently displayed. We wanted to get this up and running before adding more layers of complexity.

David Hodge

The card looks pretty good, but I do have a comment with something you said.

What we are planning in the next few years is to allow custom backgrounds

I think this may be a bad idea, no matter how cool it may be. I say this because when you travel, some DZ's are skeptical of other countries membership cards as it is. Now, if every Canadian has a wonderfully unique card, that may only exacerbate the problem. They'll think it's a joke that each Canadian that shows up has a different card and they could be knockoffs etc..

Maybe adding a logo, or having a small box with a custom logo/picture, but for the entire background to be unique will undoubtedly make things more difficult for travelling jumpers.

Think it's a neat idea, and I'd likely pay for my own custom card, but just being devil's advocate.
"When once you have tasted flight..."

the thought had crossed my mind as well.
However this would not stop someone from being able to use the online lookup feature to verify the info on the card as being true.

the logo/picture box is a cool idea to be considered.

Plans change and custom backgrounds are still more then a year away if not longer as there are other considerations. consider it a wish list.

thanks for the feedback
David Hodge

Well Jim, I would like to bestow my praise on them as well.

I thanked David, not so much for the card itself, but because of a request I made in a PM.
I guess I should have thanked him in a PM as well.

Anyway, fantastic work everyone.
Let the jumping begin please.
cheers