billvon

Safety notes from the WFFC

and I also managed to fuck up with a WS jump off a high speed CASA pass...not the smartest thing to do.

Yeah, I heard about that. Your group still have their arms attached where they should be?

ltdiver

yup, everyone was fine minus the three stitches in nick's ankle

Where is my fizzy-lifting drink?

Elisha,

What was the outcome of having your cutaway cables checked out?

Please tell us you took your rig to a rigger who either verified it as ok or made the modification to make it ok....

Update on my cutaway cables:
I made a pre-Boogie visit to Byron this weekend. Master rigger Clay looked at my cables, and although the non-cutaway side is short, there is no danger of the cable coming through the "550" (why is the loop named that?). Therefore, my rig is perfectly flyable. Since it is in soft housings all the way and dips down in the reserve area, there is actually plenty of length if I were to switch to hard housings (i.e. route the cable straight across instead of wasting a few inches dipping down). And I as I guessed, he did say that doing this at the next reserve repack would be a good time. Thanks for the concern everyone, but no worries.

The loop is made of what at least looks like gutted 550 cord. 550 cord was a nylon sheath with a number of nylon cords in it, used as the suspension lines on old round military-style rigs.

When you take out all the filler cords, you have a nice flat and reasonably strong piece of nylon that slides through things easily. It was what EVERYONE used to use for pull-up cords (I still do). So, it's what's sewn on the risers for the loops. It used to be commonly used for closing loops also.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Elisha,

Please tell us you took your rig to a rigger who either verified it as ok or made the modification to make it ok....

I made a pre-Boogie visit to Byron this weekend. Master rigger Clay looked at my cables, and although the non-cutaway side is short, there is no danger of the cable coming through the "550" (why is the loop named that?). Therefore, my rig is perfectly flyable. Since it is in soft housings all the way and dips down in the reserve area, there is actually plenty of length if I were to switch to hard housings (i.e. route the cable straight across instead of wasting a few inches dipping down). And I as I guessed, he did say that doing this at the next reserve repack would be a good time. Thanks for the concern everyone, but no worries.

Excellent! Am I reading that you will have the modification done to go to hard housings (highly recommended) at your next re-pack?

Glad you had a rigger take a look; better safe than to show up in a differnt section of this forum!

-----------------------
Roger "Ramjet" Clark
FB# 271, SCR 3245, SCS 1519

Elisha,

Excellent! Am I reading that you will have the modification done to go to hard housings (highly recommended) at your next re-pack?

Glad you had a rigger take a look; better safe than to show up in a differnt section of this forum!

I would say that I'm highly considering it. Even though all this reading of people getting new rigs 'n stuff is making me extremely envious and wanting new myself, there are a number of mods I'd like to do to my rig in the near term, probably at the repack. I think I can resist the financially irresponsible decision of buying new at the moment - as if skydiving itself isn't financially irresponsible enough as it is.