AustinPerkins

Wil they let me ?

For my Grad present. I'm heading out to hawaii for a few weeks, and of course, the first think I do is see what dropzones are there. And came across Skydive pacific Hawaii. I'm right in the middle of my AFF course and I cant pass up the opportunity to skydive in one of the most beautiful places in the world. So heres my question. Do you guys think they will let me jump at whatever AFF level I end up at when I leave for the tip ? I would seriously hate to not be able to jump at a place like that when I'm there. PLus a true 14K jump would be awesome !

Thanks,

Austin

Have you, perhaps, called or e-mailed one of the DZs out there to see what they'll allow?

Or we can just smooth make something up for you...sure, they'll let you, but you have to provide your own toggles for the rig, they don't have the same kind of toggles that you have been using at your DZ.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Thanks guys for the responses. I will call today and ask.

Good luck! Although if I was going to The Aloha State, I don't know that I would go jump. I would rather spend my time doing all sorts of other touristy things and taking lots of pictures.

Thanks guys for the responses. I will call today and ask.

Good luck! Although if I was going to The Aloha State, I don't know that I would go jump. I would rather spend my time doing all sorts of other touristy things and taking lots of pictures.

I dunno, I bet the view is pretty fantastic there. I sure wouldn't spend a day doing it or even bother bringing gear, but I would suck up paying a rental for the opportunity.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

One thing to keep in mind is that most of the DZs there have winds that are different from what you'd be used to at your home DZ. Do a search on here or look through the Incidents. I know of at least 2 incidents where licensed jumpers were caught off guard by the winds (and turbulance caused by the mountains) and had problems.

You might be better off doing a tandem and not risking an injury. That would not only ruin your vacation but put a serious dent in getting your license. If you do decide to do an AFF jump there make sure you talk to the instructors specifically about the winds and how they might be different from where you normally jump.

I jumped there back in the summer of '93. My memory is that the landing area was pretty small for the winds, which were quite high. The hazards were pretty...hazardous. On that day we were getting out along the shoreline, but it is common to have the spot way out over the ocean. At least if you don't make it back, the water is warm enough for you to be OK while you wait for help. Maybe the landing area is bigger than I remember?
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I checked out a Hawaii DZ website and it stated a requirement of 75 jumps if i recall correctly or a B license, considering the conditions such as wind and water it makes since.

Or 200 jumps, a Katana and Mad Skillz!

I jumped at PSC in Dillingham two years ago. They did have a B license requirement for experienced jumpers. However, I was also on a load where they had an AFF student, so I know they do train AFF students there. The student was also one of their tandem packers, so not sure how that may have played into the equation. They have a student wind waiver. That said, while the view was truly spectacular, the winds are a challenge and the landing area is not real large with buildings and trees all around it. I had about 350 jumps at the time and I found the canopy work to be a challenge. But I did have fun and I made a bunch of jumps on my own gear (at the time it was a Spectre 210 loaded at 1.2:1)
Charlie Gittins, 540-327-2208
AFF-I, Sigma TI, IAD-I
MEI, CFI-I, Senior Rigger
Former DZO, Blue Ridge Skydiving Adventures

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm definitely opting out on jumping during my trip. What from what I have read, and the PM's I have received, the injury rate is very high. Its just not worth it. Thanks for looking out for me, much appreciated !

Any good glider services, or something like that, on the islands ?

Thanks guys for all the info. I'm definitely opting out on jumping during my trip. What from what I have read, and the PM's I have received, the injury rate is very high. Its just not worth it. Thanks for looking out for me, much appreciated !

Any good glider services, or something like that, on the islands ?

I'm out here in Hawaii for work for a few weeks, didn't even want to bring my rig out, because of the winds/landing area and I cannot get hurt while representing the company.

I am about to go back out here in about 20 mins and hopefully finish up my last 2 dives so I can become a certified SCUBA diver, if you're interested in that kind of thing, let me know and I'll give you the contact info for the instructor that I am using.

Also thought about doing a discovery flight from one of the flight schools in the area (just can't do it the day after diving). The weather has been crap for most of the past 2 weeks (as far as flying/skydiving are concerned) so I haven't even gone to the airport to check it out.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message