Marz

My career might be over

Hi all... I haven't posted in quite a while, cuz i've been real busy at work and such... My most recent incident is putting my skydiving careee at risk. I had a grand mal seixure while driving my car a few weeks back. thank god I wasn't going fast and was on a side road. THis this came out of nowhere, never had one before.

However, it looks like this might mean the end of my skydiving career. My driver's license was suspended and I highly doubt that DZO's will let me on a plane...

Any comments, support or knowledge on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope is a false alarm, now, I have a question for you, How stressing is your job?, I'm asking you this because STRESS can do weird things to you, many years ago I had an 'episode', it happened at home, reason? STRESS, my advise to you is go a doctor, then take a few days off and do something TOTALLY OPPOSITE to what you regularly do, breaking the 'routine' helps a lot.

Feel free to PM is you like.

BLUE ONES MAN!!! ;)

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that and I hope is a false alarm, now, I have a question for you, How stressing is your job?, I'm asking you this because STRESS can do weird things to you, many years ago I had an 'episode', it happened at home, reason? STRESS, my advise to you is go a doctor, then take a few days off and do something TOTALLY OPPOSITE to what you regularly do, breaking the 'routine' helps a lot.

Yeah man... I've heard about the stress thing... That could very well be it. I'm seeing a doctor after the holidays and i got two weeks med leave from work.

LOL stress factors in my life: working daily with irate customers, waiting for a promotion, baby on the way, and a few more.... I think I should mention those to my doc...

My former future wife, at age 26 or so, had a grand mal seizure while grocery shopping. Like you, it was the first of her life, and it was an incredibly uncertain period for her and for everyone in her life. We went to jillions of doctors and she went through tens of jillions of tests, but we never found out the cause. She has never had another one, and we have never found out why she had the first one. After 6 months seizure free, her doctor signed her off to drive again, and now 6 years later, as far as I know this is a distant memory for her.

Hang in there. What we learned is that seizures can be caused by all kinds of things, and sometimes you never even find out what caused them. I know you are living with the Sword of Damacles hanging over your head, wondering when the next time you'll wake up in an ambulance will be, but there is always a chance that any seizure will be your last.

Hang in there, don't let your meds get you down, and keep living your life. You had a seizure; you didn't die.

BMcD...

----------------------------------
www.jumpelvis.com

Sorry to hear and hope everything is ok.

I don't know anything about stuff like this so take this for what it's worth....also, mention to your doctor if you're taking any medications - over the counter (cold, allergy, asthma, etc.), new prescriptions, etc. It could be a drug interaction or an allergy to something.

Just my .02.

Oh...and congrats on the baby on the way.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

Dude, another tidbit for you, avoid medication, vitamins and stuff like that is fine, also exercise, I don't allow any chemicals in my system, and believe me, you'll be healthier that way.

RELAX MAN!!! RELAX AND SKYDIVE YOUR ASS OFF!!!

:P:P:P:P

Yes dude, do not underestimate what stress can do to you. At the early age of 21 I had a breakdown... until then I laughed at people who told me to relax and think about the stress factors in my life! 5 months later my "eyes turned skywards"...

Take good care of yourself, mentally and physically! That's rule number 1... for if you don't, not only you but everything else will collapse.
---
P.
"It Hurts to Admit When You Make Mistakes -
But When They're Big Enough, the Pain Only Lasts a Second."

I had a similar experience about 3 months ago. I went to the doc because I was feeling really down. They decided to take blood for a blood test. I blacked out during the procedure for 1 minute. When I woke up I was covered in sweat and thought I was dreaming. The nurse and doctor were visibly concerned. After about half an hour once I recovered I went in to see the doc. He was quite concerned and told me that the reason he suspects was that I was overworked and waaaay too stressed. I mentioned to him at that time that in 5 days time I was off to swakopmund (namibia) to do my first tandem skydive. I asked him if this would be a problem. He answered that the best thing I could do was de-stress, and if that is what I had chosen then he saw no issues. That was 3 months ago and I have now done my AFF, A License and skydived every weekend since.

I cannot change my work situation, but now I have something to look forward to on the weekends. And the stress has miraculously disappeared, or at least it does every weekend at 10000 feet.

Cheers and hope you get well soon enough to skydive.
Blue Skies
Neil

When I was in sales with the constant worry of where the next sale/paycheck was coming from the Stress was enormous and basically made life not that fun.
When I sat back and figured out that the job was causing the stress and making me unhappy, I took the stand that money isn't everything and took a job that paid less, but left me happy.

I have never regretted the decision. We need to enjoy life everyday and being stressed out all the time isn't the way to do it.

Just my .02
-----------
Ready, Set, Gooooooo

So... uhhh.. any idea if your going to sell your rig?
kidding

I'm very sorry to hear that Marz. I can't only imagine what its like, being faced with the possibility of giving up something that you love. Hopefully this was a one time thing, and that in time your doctor will say that its ok for you to jump again, and that you have the confidence to do so.
good luck

“- - Sumo is the greatest of sports. It has power, grace, speed and cluture. And most importantly, two fat bastards smacking the shit out of each other. ”

Dear Marz,

ONCE A SKYDIVER, ALWAYS A SKYDIVER!! Keep your head up, take control of your thoughts and overcome this with affirmations and a positive mental attitude. You will soon be back up there with the rest of us!

Blue Skies!
FlyBoyShell
Blue Skies!!!

FlyBoyShell
EarthBound FreeFly Suits

Get a cypress if you don't already have one. I'm not making a joke, I'm just trying to put myself in your shoes. You've got a baby on the way that needs you, and you need to plan for this to happen in the worse place. Good luck with this, and I hope you're one of the many here who seem to have had it once, and only once.

Thanks to everyone that replied! That definitaly cheered me up and help me with a plan. I saw my neurologist yesterday who said to just take it easy for a bit, but didn';t think that this was going to stop me for good.

Oh yeah, although the emerg doctors advised me that my license would be suspended, i have received no notice from the Ministry of Transport and I called their automated service and apparently I still have a valid license... and since the meds were calibrated, i feel pretty much 100 %

Thanks to all... The first part of my plan is to lose the drama. I felt sorry for myself long enough and it's time to move on.

Blues ones!

Marz I'm hating that for you I know the feeling. I am in the process of trying to return to jumping after 15 years but just had two stents put in my heart. Doc says NO jumping. I am doing a lot of research ( including on this forum) about my condition and what it'll take to get in the air again. Read, talk to others but don't give up until you run out of options. I'm pulling for you man and I wish you the very best.

8 year old thread...I wonder what ever happened to him? ;)

He's flying jumpers in Kansas. :P

Sparky

I was in an aviation theme type bar in South America with the wife ten years ago...I was wearing a Skydiving jacket and this guy comes up and says he use to fly jumpers in Nor. Cal. ~then he lost his U.S. ticket.

From the end of the we hear a voice.."NO SHIT? ME TOO!" :D:D:D

So now I know where they all go! ;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~