bkeul

Topics for new skydivers

Canopy flight things. They were mostly glossed over in my student and early A license time. Also landing with half brakes. How to stall a canopy. How to NOT stall a canopy when in brakes.

For actual free fall, I would have loved to learn to be able to hold my slot with out docking earlier. Eventually, we did dives without grips. Exact same dive flow but you couldnt take a grip you just had to hold your slot until everyone was in their slot for a full second.

Canopy piloting
Canopy control
Canopy choices

Oh, did I mention anything about canopies?

Other stuff:
Emergency procedures
Landing patterns
Landing off
Effects of wind direction and speed
Clearing airspace
Head on a swivel
Gear knowledge
Safety attitude
Spotting
Exit order and separation
DZ orientation at every DZ visited

...just to name a few.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

One possibility to consider is to have everyone come into the class with a question written out, and hand it in before the class. It can be either anonymous or signed.

It allows people to ask embarrassing questions and have them dealt with in class (someone else probably has the same question). It also gives the instruction staff an idea of what questions people have, and might help drive some of the curriculum.

Wendy P.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

That's a great idea, but it doesn't allow for people not knowing what they don't know.

Maybe a combination of Pops list (which seems very comprehensive) and your anonymous "get it off your chest" method would work well.

Personally, I think that's a great idea. I think Wendy's idea is fantastic. Sometimes people hold onto questions because they are embarrassed to ask. That would be a way to get them out there. But you're right. Sometimes they don't know what they don't know. I think a combination would be a great idea.

You might see developing trends or get ideas as a class like this develops. Be open to addressing concerns as they arise. Hope it works out well for you!
Blues,
Nathan

If you wait 'til the last minute, it'll only take a minute.

My home DZ is working on a post A license class for new jumpers. Are there any topics you wish someone had talked to you about after you just got your license? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Great idea - helps to establish that the A license is really a license to keep learning.

You've gotten some great ideas already. One other thing might be to put together some handouts with two- and three-way drill dives. We encourage the newbies to do small jumps, but often they don't really know where to begin in planning a dive flow. Giving them some simple 3-4 point dive flows to use might be helpful.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

My home DZ is working on a post A license class for new jumpers. Are there any topics you wish someone had talked to you about after you just got your license? Looking for ideas. Thanks!

Nice idea.
Will your DZ give staff rates or LO slots to experienced jumpers that will jump with low timers?

Are there any topics you wish someone had talked to you about after you just got your license?

Not me personally, but I think it's helpful to remind newly licensed folks that they need to think about some of the things they've been relying on instructors and coaches and student guidelines for during training.

For example: If there's a need for an emergency exit, which canopy are you going to chose and when (and why). What's your decision altitude? What's your wind limit?

How do you find out what the uppers are before you board the plane? How much exit separation do you need to give the group ahead of you (and why)

I know these are things a newly licensed person should already know, but having a reminder that they are now solely responsible for knowing these kinds of things and no longer have someone watching their backs, at least officially.
Owned by Remi #?

In addition to the above:

How to go to OTHER dropzones safely. (I know several of us who had unsatisfactory adventures to other DZs early in our careers.)

Canopy landing accuracy... You are going to need it for the B & C licenses.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Emergency procedures
Landing patterns
Landing off
Clearing airspace
Head on a swivel
Gear knowledge
Safety attitude
Spotting

Are these usually not taught pre-A license?

Yes, it should be, but there's a lot of room to both reinforce and expand upon what's taught during the A license progression. Getting to the A license tends to be a bit of "information overload," and taking the time to discuss those topics again and after you have some experience can be very valuable.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Emergency procedures
Landing patterns
Landing off
Clearing airspace
Head on a swivel
Gear knowledge
Safety attitude
Spotting

Are these usually not taught pre-A license?

Of course they are, and more...by the half-decent (or better) instructors anyway.

I have yet to meet a new skydiver that didn't need a refresher every now and then. Even the conscientious ones that actively pursue their learning could use it...nobody new remembers everything they are taught. That comes with repetition and drilling and experience.

Advice on purchasing gear would be helpful. It is easy to get lost on which container, main, reserve, AAD, etc. to buy when you have just entered the sport. Maybe some do's and don'ts for beginner gear.

Here's some more helpful advice from Chutingstar.
Start with "Buying Gear - Latest Articles"

http://www.chutingstar.com/expertadvice_en/

Canopy piloting
Canopy control
Canopy choices

Oh, did I mention anything about canopies?

Other stuff:
Emergency procedures
Landing patterns
Landing off
Clearing airspace
Head on a swivel
Gear knowledge
Safety attitude
Spotting
DZ orientation at every DZ visited

...just to name a few.

+1 on all, especially the gear knowledge. There are many things that can be resolved if the owner would just know what to look at/for on their gear.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message