ravel

NO WIND JUMPS- keeps hurting me

OK GUYs just needed some advise no need to make big deal out of it. Everyone got the point across and I will be getting something bigger
Thanks all

Ravel, now THAT is good stuff. I love it when people actually listen.

What you're seeing here is a debate between two different philosophies.

- You're better off safe than sorry.
(Use gear that fits your skills)
- You need to learn methods handling what you have.
(Use skills that fit your gear)

I'm very glad that you chose the idea of being more safe by using gear that fits your skills. Learning those advanced skills under more forgiving gear, before you move on to more radical gear, is always a good thing.

Again, congrats on your decision and here's a sincere hope that you live to be an old skydiver.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Feel free to do a full, vigorous flare in 20 mph winds. And when you've bled your forward air speed off to zero, you'll find yourself going backwards over the ground at 20 mph...

Ummm...you might want to re-think that.
My canopy doesn't know that. Can you tell me how to teach my canopy that trick?

What about during higher winds when only a partial flare is needed to bring your descent rate to zero?

Ummm...that, too.
I wish to hell I could bring my descent rate to zero....I'd stay under canopy forever!

Of course the descent rate is zero temporarily. Why is that such a strange concept - that less toggle input is needed in high winds? Most canopies will level off with less toggle input than that required to "finish" the flare which is usually meant as reducing forward speed.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>What about during higher winds when only a partial flare is needed to bring
>your descent rate to zero?

Yes. I was answering his question about landing in no wind conditions. If he's carrying too much forward speed in his flare, then a deeper, hands-all-the-way down flare will help him slow down before his feet touch down. Often newer jumpers are afraid to flare all the way because the parachute might stall.

When I learned to skydive I did in a place where winds were usually between 15-25 mph and that was not my issue.
those days were the most smooth landings I ever had.
Now hearing what everyone had to say, I will demo a
PULSE 190. I demo a 170 a year ago but only did 2 jumps and there was little wind(10mph) and didn't have no issue landing it.
but definitely I am going bigger

What about during higher winds when only a partial flare is needed to bring your descent rate to zero?

Ummm...that, too.
I wish to hell I could bring my descent rate to zero....I'd stay under canopy forever!

It can be done, but only temporarily (so no perpetual flight for you!), and at the continual expense of forward air speed. You can even cause a negative descent rate. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTumzpJ1hY&feature=player_detailpage#t=145s
and (later in same video): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzTumzpJ1hY&feature=player_detailpage#t=242s

I am certainly no landing expert (as you very well know!) but it seems to me you that on a windless day you have to flare longer and deeper to bleed off forward speed before touching down (to get your ground speed down), whereas on a windy day less of a flare is sufficient. The key seems to me to be that you get the speed and the depth of your flare timed exactly right for the conditions of the moment. And I suspect that requires a lot of practice and experience in various conditions to master (I'll let you know if I ever succeed!)