Dumpster

Ankle Braces & injury recovery??

OK - This cast comes off Wednesday (just in time for Christmas! WooHoo!) I broke the tib and fib just above the ankle joint and tore up some ligaments at the same time when I rolled my ankle (sideways) on a landing. Been in the cast about 5-1/2 weeks.

I've been non-weight bearing ever since.

I'd like to ask other folks who have had severe ankle injuries about braces, how long it took to get back up to speed, etc.

My job requires me to be on my feet ALOT and wear steel-toed shoes. I usually wear high-topped boots.

I'd also like to get back in the air as soon as possible, but I'd like to minimize the risk of re-injury. I'm strongly considering going up one canopy size. (Anybody got a 170 Spectre to trade for a 150 Spectre?)

Any input is appreciated, and I will have a TON of questions for the doc on Wednesday.

Thanks!

-Lenny

Easy Does It

Sadly, I've been there- twice! As much as you want to get back up in the air, don't rush it. My advice would be, enjoy your off season and do your PT. My last ankle injury, it took about 7 months to get back up in the air and even then, I knew I couldn't run out a landing so I had to be very careful about what conditions I would jump in. I broke my ankle taking a canopy control class, and made a point of retaking the class as soon as possible. (I made a couple of jumps before retaking the class!) For the class, I did borrow a rig with a slightly larger more conservative canopy (Pilot 168 vs a Spectre 150.) That was a tough decision for me because I wasn't planning on buying new gear and part of me thought it would be better to take the class jumping the gear I have and planned to continue jumping. BUT, what the class teaches (Scott Miller's Freedom of Flight) translates into whatever canopy you are flying and jumping something a little more conservative did help. (Thanks Scott and Betsy if you are reading this!) As soon as the class was finished, I went back to my Spectre and haven't had any problems- my landings are better then ever! But I also realized there was nothing sluggish or dull about the Pilot 168 I borrowed!

I do jump with an ankle brace, but I'm not sure how much support it really gives. Take it one day at at a time and don't rush your return. Good luck with the Drs Appt!

maura

I come in sliding on my butt, cause i'm terrified of breaking the ankle again. Eventually i need to work on getting over that fear. It's been about 9 months since i broke it and it still gets sore from everyday activities. I always wear my brace when working out. I try to wear it when i jump, but sometimes i forget. Just be smart and don't rush yourself.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

My advice would be, enjoy your off season and do your PT

Couldn't agree with you more. Don't rush it.

If you can get your hands on a larger canopy when you decide you are ready to jump again, that would help. Also, pick your conditions. IMO if you have to wear an ankle support, then your ankle isn't strong enough to be jumping.

Once you can jump off a few steps and stand on that one bad leg/ankle alone, without support, you are ready to start jumping again.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Once you can jump off a few steps and stand on that one bad leg/ankle alone, without support, you are ready to start jumping again.

9 months later, i still can't do that. Honestly don't know if i'll ever have the strength to do that again.

Wait........like jump off a few steps and land one-legged on your bad leg? Or do you mean that as two different things? I can't even do jumping jacks right now, let alone jump off a few steps. It's kinda funny to watch me try though.

As far as standing on the bad leg, I can stand on one leg on a trampoline and throw a 6 pound ball back and forth about 8 times. I can't throw it more than that without falling over.

I can't imagine jumping right now. I don't want to push myself and I know my ankle is in no condition to be trying it just yet. It's been 4 and a half months.
I'm so funny I crack my head open!

P.M.S. #102

At this point in time I'll be more than happy to fix a plate of food without help! I'm still hobbling on crutches. I think once I get get up and about, and do something constructive around the house I'll be happier.

Recovery, I will not be rushing it. I need to get back into some excercise though - Sitting on my butt is causing some fat to latch on my gut. Not good!

I do have plans to get ahold of larger canopy - I've got a classified posted to swap my 150 for a 170. I'd prefer a Spectre but I'll consider others.

Don't know what the doc will say yet - I see him Wednesday to get the cast off. I have no idea if he's going to put me in a walking cast or ?? But I sure don't plan on jumping until I can handle it.

Easy Does It

Sheena asked:

Wait........like jump off a few steps and land one-legged on your bad leg? Or do you mean that as two different things?

Two different things. I wouldn't even jump off a few steps with a good ankle landing on one leg.

What I was trying to explain with the one leg thing, is this. Stand on both legs. Now, take the weight off the good leg. All your body weight is now on the leg with the bad ankle. Can you balance yourself? Can you bend at the knee, going up and down just balancing on the one leg? If not, your ankle isn't strong enough to jump.

Dumpster, a good exercise to get your ankle back in shape. Fill you tub with very warm water. Have a towel that you have rolled, like a tooties roll. Get in the tub and lay down, or sit, depending on the size of the tub, with the towel. Place the end of the towel in both hands, loop the middle of the towel on the ball of your foot. With the towel ends in your hands, try pulling up on your foot. You want to try and get your toes to be flexing back to the front of your calf. I know you can't touch the front of your calf with your toes, this just to try and get the muscles moving. Now, try and push your foot away from the calf. The reason for the towel is when you first start, the muscles will be tight, use the towel to assist in moving the foot into a more flexed position. When you are trying to push away, use the towel to offer some resistance. You're in the warm tub water because working the muscles in warm water is easier on them.

Good luck, and don't push it.

Sunny, if you are not able to do some of those things, like balancing on your bad ankle, you might want to get it checked out, you might still have some problems with it. Are you exercising the ankle? Blood flow helps the healing process. I broke my ankle really badly in July of 2000 and was jumping the end of Nov. 2000. I was under a very big canopy and at sea level.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

What I was trying to explain with the one leg thing, is this. Stand on both legs. Now, take the weight off the good leg. All your body weight is now on the leg with the bad ankle. Can you balance yourself? Can you bend at the knee, going up and down just balancing on the one leg? If not, your ankle isn't strong enough to jump.

I can balance pretty well on one leg if it's not tired. I have a pretty hard time bending my knee and going up and down though. We've been working on that in physical therapy and it gets better everytime, but it still needs a lot of work.

Anybody else have their leg, ankle, or foot shake uncontrollably after a long hard day? Mine does. It's pretty funny looking. Kinda like a dog wagging it's tail.

P.M.S. #102

Good excercise ideas! I've been told about some like that and others for working on side-to-side motion, also.

I don't think I would try to jump down several staris and land on one foot either! Maybe land on one foot and favor the bad one, but not both. :)
I'm very concerned with just getting back to work - The plant I work in covers about 100,000 square feet, and I'm typically all over that plant, a cart full of tools with me, plus running to catch the phone, etc. I figure when I can handle a full day at work without much discomfort, I'll be ready to get back in the air.

Thanks everyone for all the support and advice!!

Easy Does It

Sunny, if you are not able to do some of those things, like balancing on your bad ankle, you might want to get it checked out, you might still have some problems with it. Are you exercising the ankle? Blood flow helps the healing process

I actually suspect there's still somthing wrong, but i don't have the money to go back to the doc. I can balance on the bad ankle, but i can't hop on it or anything like that. And yes, i do still do the exercises i was taught in PT. In time everything will be all good. I really don't jump that much anymore anyway, and i when i do, i buttslide.

Sunny,

Since you are back at the gym working out, try the treadmill and the ellyptical cross trainer. Both will help build up leg strength, plus its a good workout. Also, use the weight machines. There's one for calfs where you do toe raises- start with both legs, then try with just one. The other machine is the leg press, again, start with both legs, then alternate and THEN do toe raises, adjusting the weight as needed.

And, finally, next time Scott is in town, take his class!
I was a diehard buttslider, I've got it perfected and if you do it properly, I do think its a safe way to land. BUT with Scott's help I was able to identify what I was doing wrong with my flare and its really helped! I can land on my feet on a no wind day now! (And that's after 2 nasty broken ankles!)

IMO if you have to wear an ankle support, then your ankle isn't strong enough to be jumping.

I sort of agree, but I use my brace anyway. I know I did a lot of soft tissue damage that still isn't 100% healed 13 months later. (a little better everyday, though) The brace makes me FEEL more comfortable in a situation where I know I might need to run or walk on uneven terrain, etc. And while I did wait until I could walk without a limp and stand and balance on the bad leg, and jump off a few steps, I'm not sure I could have waited until I could RUN again! Mentally, it was hard enough to make that first jump back when I did!

Speaking of ankle braces, I watched one of my nieces play competitive high school basketball and almost every girl on each team wore some kind of ankle and/ or knee braces! Try telling them not to play until they don't need the brace anymore!

I will definitely be wearing a brace when I come back! I rolled my ankle in August. It wasn't horrible, I didn't break it and could still walk. But it has never fully recovered. Even now there is slight pain sometimes. Especially if I move it the way I hurt it.
Then in September I sprained my MCL pretty bad. I was on crutches, couldn't move my knee, and thought for sure I would need surgery. Thank god I didn't. But it took 2 months of PT before I was back to normal activity. Now it has been over 3 months and I am still not 100%. It definitely feels better with regular exercise. I highly recommend getting PT for any ligament injury and keep doing the exercises!

Since my DZ is closed now, I have another 3 months for rehab. I hope by then I am pain-free. But even if I am, I will definitely be wearing something on my ankle and my knee. My doc and PT said that once you have an injury like that, the ligament never returns to normal. So you build up the muscles around the area to make them stronger, and try not to injure it again!

Good luck with your recovery! Hope you're back in the sky soon! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

[My doc and PT said that once you have an injury like that, the ligament never returns to normal. So you build up the muscles around the area to make them stronger, and try not to injure it again!

It is unfortunately true, even with smaller injuries.
I rolled my left ankle during AFF two years ago. Although it feels OK most of the time, I feel occasional pain after more intensive workouts and it seems to be less stable. Unfortunately I wasn't able to jump this season due to other reasons but when I get back to the sport I will not be jumping without good ankle braces.

"I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food."

Cast came off yesterday. My foot is ugly. Still pretty swollen. Today I'm flexing it all the time, and putting a little weight on it form time to time. The heel feels weak and sore - Ligament damage I figure. Still a little bruised. Physical terrorism starts in a week.

Easy Does It

Physical terrorism starts in a week.

Be ready to cry and get frustrated as hell. PT sucks!! But in the end it's so worth it. Good luck.

PT really wasn't that bad for me, but I didn't have any ligment or tendon problems. I just had my last PT session yesterday and I was kinda sad it was over. Yeah it sucked sometimes, but I never cried. I am beginning to think I have a high threshold for pain because even when I broke my leg, it didn't really hurt me that badly. I sat there thinking it should have hurt worse actually.

I went into PT thinking it was going to be the most horrible thing and it really wasn't. To tell you the truth the most painful thing about it was getting my scars massaged and that involved me just sitting there not even moving. I guess each person is different though.

P.M.S. #102

I really won't know for sure until it begins. I heard stories where it hurts worse than the injury itself and others where it wasn't any problem at all. It certainly depends on the person and the injury.

In the meantime I'm flexing things what I can and so on. It just so nice to be rid of the cast!

As an aside - I'm glad I have good insurance. I got the statement from my insurance company today - I owe ZERO bucks on the $12,000 hospital visit. So far the doctor's office has cost me a whopping $18.20. I was afraid it would cost much more. Whew!

Easy Does It

Don't rush it! Even to this day, a year later...I still wrap my ankle with a sports wrap for added support. Let your body heal and your body will love you! Do you PT and continue to sue them as stretching excersises prior to jumping...it helps!:)Blue Skies

"Don't waste the pretty"!