gweeks

Skyride Taking Advantage of Google Places

Apparently Skyride has been setting up Google place pages for fake dropzones and hot air balloon operations all over the country. Now that Google strongly factors proximity in its search results, these place pages are becoming very important.

Here's one example for "Skydiving Baltimore":

http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=2596522180058965488

It even has an address at Martin State airport which is very close to Baltimore. Of course there is no skydiving operation there. I called the airport just to be sure. I called the number listed in Google and the operator answered as Thrill Planet. I asked if this was "Skydiving Baltimore." She said well that's just our website. I asked if the skydive would be in Baltimore. She said no, it would be in Manassass, VA.

From what I can tell Google strongly factors the number and quality of reviews when ranking place pages. Skyride has apparently figured that out too. "Skydiving Baltimore" has three 5 star ratings from Hal, Chelsea, and Faye. All three of these users have multiple 5 star ratings for other Skyride places all over the country.

Here's a sampling of Chelsea's reviews:

Boulder Hot Air Balloon Rides 1914 Araphoe Ave, Boulder, CO 80302 - Feb 18, 2011

This is the place to go!!! I had a fantastic time on my flight!! The pilot was very nice and told us all about the scenery below!! I cant wait to go back and experience this again!!

Skydiving Richmond 1625 W. Broad Street, Richmond, VA 23220 - Feb 17, 2011

I had the time of my life!!! This is a great location to go to if you are looking for the experience of a lifetime!!! I cant wait to go back and do my second jump!!!

Denver Hot Air Balloon Rides 1548 Larimer, Denver, CO 80202 - Feb 15, 2011

I loved it!!! Im scared of heights, but once I was up in the air.. It totally changed my perspective! I cant wait to go back and do it again for a special occasion! I would recommend anyone who hasnt done this before, to do it!!!

Skydiving San Jose 65 Post Street, San Jose, CA 95113 - Feb 15, 2011

HAD AN AMAZING TIME!!! This location has beautiful views, and the instructors were very down to earth- and had no problem making me feel comfortable about doing my first jump! I cant wait to go back and experience this over and over again!

Phoenix Hot Air Balloon Rides 210 N 1st Street, Phoenix, AZ 85027 - Feb 15, 2011

I recently just had my first balloon ride in Phoenix.. and it was the best experience ever!! I cant wait to go back and do it again, but this time, I would like to bring a group of people to experience it with me!! The staff was friendly, and the views were amazing!!

In 5 days she did 2 tandem skydives and took 3 hot air balloon rides in 5 different cities, 2 of them over 2000 miles from each other!

What can be done? I reported "Skydiving Baltimore" to Google. I hope they take it seriously. Maybe you could take a few minutes and find out if there are any of these "places" near you and if there are report them to Google. At the very bottom of a "place" page there is a link to report a problem. I would suggest calling the number listed to be sure it's not a real dropzone first.

I would have though google would take a very dim view of any bogus rating reports... at least, any site that places any emphasis on feedback ratings does so I'd hope they would...

Letting google know about sham feedback can only be a good idea where it is evident.

No, they are just trying to out run Larry's Legal Team. Doesn't seem to be working all that well, the hiding it part, but they seem to have made over a million dollars off of Groupon alone.

Until they are in a Criminal Proceeding they will keep going.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Man, you're good. I just ran across one of these called Lafayette Tandem Skydiving in Opelika. That leads to a site called Gadzuk.com that looks quite a bit like Skyride. Your post answered my question.
You don't have to outrun the bear.

Google should indeed take a dim view of this - see this story about JC Penney ... http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/13/business/13search.html

Done a different way but still 'faking' on the search ranking and if they're not shy about sorting out JCPenney I'm sure they won't be shy about skyride... Sounds like a call to the right person, possibly one of the guys mentioned in the article, should do the trick?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Nothing changes.
Even the ones who "claim" to not work with them are working with them.
Leasing planes, taking all certificates. Sad.

At least Larry and Betsy stood the test and stayed true to their morals.

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

Nothing changes.
Even the ones who "claim" to not work with them are working with them.
Leasing planes, taking all certificates. Sad.

At least Larry and Betsy stood the test and stayed true to their morals.

Matt

You would be correct sir! Recently, Doug Smith of Skydive Chicagoland sent me an email and requested that I change the status of his dropzone on our DZ's page to "Does NOT accept Skyride", I reminded him that I will be calling to follow up, and sure enough, I called up there this week, and they are still accepting sLyride.
So nice try Doug!
http://www.1800skyrideripoff.com/dzs

He also supplied the sLyride DZ in Waverly, Tn with a PAC750 recently as well.
Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

well I do think it works, but they need to hear it from lots of people. If it really is wrong and incorrect, then get a bunch of your skydivers to do it as well.

The other option is a dozen people to click on their google ads all day long and run the tab up really high.

well I do think it works, but they need to hear it from lots of people. If it really is wrong and incorrect, then get a bunch of your skydivers to do it as well.

The other option is a dozen people to click on their google ads all day long and run the tab up really high.

That will take more than a dozen. More like 60 or 80 people to do that and they really need to rotate their IP address if possible.
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Good news! Google apparently did listen to the complaints from me and others and removed this listing B|

Great job! Now if the whole Skydiving community would pull together and work collectively as a whole rather that work against one another, and the DZO's who accept the tickets would stop, sLyride would have no choice but to go away!
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

That would be awesome. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen. There are dropzones who get most of their business from skyride, they don't read these forums, they're not part of USPA, and they're perfectly happy with skyride.

That would be awesome. Unfortunately I don't think it will ever happen. There are dropzones who get most of their business from skyride, they don't read these forums, they're not part of USPA, and they're perfectly happy with skyride.

Yes, you are correct and that is a sad reality. (but it would be nice if that would happen)
Refuse to Lose!!!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

Gregor - I sent you a few link references not too terribly long ago in fact, I discovered created by skyride for peeps who would do a search on google, even being specific (as whuffo's can possibly be) looking for DELAWARE skydiving, and/or even LAUREL, DE skydiving (as you know - where your very home dz - DELMARVA is located) - and found that they would be referred, instead of to YOU (a dropzone that actually currently even "accepts skyride" GC's - right?) - They would be sent to either Ridgely (another "local" competing DZ) ...or worse yet to their OWN DZ, in "Philadelphia".

Did you ever get a chance to review that, or share that with the management there too, at Delmarva perchance?
coitus non circum - Moab Stone