Conundrum

Becoming current after 3 years

Maybe 4, I'm not sure; I just know I'm WAY out of currency and I'm getting the itch again.

Was at the dz all the time for a few years and then started a couple businesses, had a kid, and well, skydiving wasn't a priority anymore. I feel it creeping up on me again, though. B|

What is the best way to get current again? Through the school or through a coach on the dz? Should I retake one of the AFF levels? Will someone other than the school have safety videos I can watch to get refreshed on malfunctions and problems? I'm nervous about knowing what to do with a malfunction and/or problem.

My Cypres is dead so I'll probably have to rent gear (:() until I can afford another one. Not thrilled about that.

Are you unwilling to jump without an AAD?

I think that if you just call a DZ, your answer on what it will take to get back in the air will be more expensive than if you just go there and check them out - don't be in a hurry, be humble but confident in your ability. Being willing to jump your own gear will help in getting easily into the air. It shouldn't be a big deal to sit in on a FJC I would think.

Of course if you really aren't confident in your ability (as you have implied), then my advice is not appropriate.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not unwilling but I would be way more comfortable with one. Is it easy to remove the dead aad and just get a re-pack without?

I'm confident in my ability in the air, I just want to get refreshed on the "what to do ifs". Better safe(er) than sorry, right? 3/4 years is quite a bit of time not actively thinking about what could happen on my next jump and what I would do in those few seconds.

Your profile lists a pretty small canopy. You might want to rent or borrow a bigger one for the first few jumps.

A good ground refresh would probably be smart. You might ask if you can sit through a FJC as an observer.

Then a good session in the hanging harness for EPs.

That would give you a good starting point to decide if you can safely go with just a coach, or if you want to go with an AFFI.

Of course the DZ will have final say on all this, and may even have a "recurrency class" program already in place.

I don't see any videos on mals, but the SIM is always a good place to start for that sort of thing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

With just having an A license, you may be required to jump a rig with an AAD.

Given that your rig is an Infinity, it should be relatively easy to find an Argus to buy/borrow/rent for little cost.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I'm not unwilling but I would be way more comfortable with one. Is it easy to remove the dead aad and just get a re-pack without?

Yes, its easy to have the AAD removed and the reserve repacked without... as so long as the batteries haven't leaked and ruined your reserve and container. :S

Once you have that sorted, good or bad, why not look around for a used AAD? Who knows, after 3 years off, you may come back, do a hand-full of jumps and then decide you're just not into being at the DZ every weekend again... just a thought.

Hopefully they won't make you do a whole FJC over again, but you should really spend some time with a seasoned instructor going over things and then doing a recurrency jump, would be my 2 cents... other opinions will differ... ;)

Go big. Just show up for a 100 way training camp.:P

That was my plan actually. They won't notice, right?

Not until the 1st point. :P

Unless he's been a tunnel rat then everyone will know by his lack of canopy skills :P
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

I just got current after a three and a half year absence July 2nd. And with an a license and 158 jumps i was required to do an aff level 7? after some one on one refresher training with an instructor. So am sure that for the recurrency jump at least you will have to use gear with an aad. After that unless the drozone requires it you don't HAVE TO have one. Except for peace of mind. As for E.P.s rather you do a fjc or one on one that will be covered. And i can not imagine an instructor not taking any questions you have seriously and spending time on them. So i would advice just going to the DZ and saying you want to get current! As a side thought. Having watched a jumper go in during a demo in front of a crowd of thousands. To include his wife and kid! I FIRMLY believe in AADs (if you can afford it) but do not think they should be mandatory. Either from the dropzone or individual jumper.