Tatetatetate

Tell me non UK skydiving isn't like this

Got a week off and foolishly decided to stay in the UK to jump, (passport expiry issues).

There is always one thing or a combination o things stopping jumping.

And tbh its either winded out, clouded out, rained out, or when the weather is absolutely perfect there is nobody at the DZ and the DZO will not lift the aircraft as there is nobody at the DZ...

Yesterday I went to a DZ which is open every day of the year except Christmas day. Clear blue skies.....30mph winds, which made people leave.... I was tired from the long drive and lurked for a bit.... once there were not enough people to lift the aircraft.

Sunday was a crap day, so few people turned up at a more local DZ (plane has 16 slots) they didn't lift then either.

Tell me overseas DZs are not like this! Its gettting terribly frustrating skydiving in the UK you know.... and not jumping at a bandit DZ (as mentioned in another post) means I'm barely getting 2 jumps in a month....

Makes me wonder how people are getting 1000s of jumps in the UK tbh.....[:/]

Define effort?

Quit my job and stay at the DZ 24/7?

And the open everyday DZs are a good three hour drive away. Petrol isn't free and after a long drive an incorrect weather forecast it is terrifically frustrating to arrive at any DZ and not jump.

So basically you're bitching because the British weather doesn't meet your personal approval. Other people deal with it, what's so special about you? Whatever dude.

Yes I am which is why in my original post I asked about NON UK DZs.

Since its rather pointless to fight the weather, I do the next sane thing, go somewhere where the weatrher is better. but was unable to do so due to passport issues.

It would peeve me off even more if I were to find that it is exactly the same overseas having to take time off work and pay for a flight out there.

But I dunno you chose to ignore this aspect.

Honestly with the weather here if you have a week off and want to jump go to the US.

If you get a low cost airfare and stay in a bunk house it won't take that many jumps to break even with the cheaper jumping.

But even busy US dz's can have their quiet days and share of bad weather.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

I find its more a case of looking at the forecast and realistically gauging whether its worth going.

If the drive is 3 hours, then I'd want a pretty good forecast to risk going otherwise I'm just pissing away my cash on fuel without the reward of jumping.

In short, not all UK DZ's empty when the weather is crap - however if your at a DZ which does a large number of lifts a month then your going to find fewer folk hanging around for that one jump.

If you want a better chance with the weather, go somewhere warmer and abroad. But in nice weather countries you may find it hard to get people jumping in weather we would in the UK as they are used to it being much nicer..

Come over to France ;-)

Where I jump, we get at least 35 planes a day !

If the weather is bad...you wait, and as soon as it's jumpable, we send a plane, even if its to wait again after !

No big DZ, just a Pilatus Porter, and already over 21.500 jumps since the begining of the year, and the DZ is closed 3 months a year !

B|

Here in Texas, USA, we have great weather for jumping in summer and fall. It isn't uncommon for a jumper to make seven to ten jumps in a day.

However, with no significant rain here for a long time the cracks in the soil are so big that they have become a genuine landing hazard.
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

Yes I am which is why in my original post I asked about NON UK DZs.

Since its rather pointless to fight the weather, I do the next sane thing, go somewhere where the weatrher is better. but was unable to do so due to passport issues.

It would peeve me off even more if I were to find that it is exactly the same overseas having to take time off work and pay for a flight out there.

But I dunno you chose to ignore this aspect.

Typical whinging pom. Come out to the colonies mate; life is good B| By the way, please do not butcher the mother tongue: *weather.

its either winded out, clouded out, rained out,

It's called the weather. If you can find a way to control it, you could make billions of dollars. Short of that, all you can do is become more involved in weather forecasting and predicting. If you want to be better at predicting the weather, you need to do the work. Watch the weather everyday where the DZ, even when you're not planning to jump. Study the forecasts and then compare those to what actually happens. Even then, there's no guarantee you'll be right, but you would have done everythying you could to ensure your success, and unless you're already doing that, quit your bitching.

when the weather is absolutely perfect there is nobody at the DZ and the DZO will not lift the aircraft as there is nobody at the DZ...

Again, what did you do to prevent this? When I want to jump on a day that I don't think anyone will be at the DZ, I take the min number of people needed to fly the plane, subtract one (for me), then call and get confirmation from that many other jumpers that they will be there and willing to make 'x' number of jumps. The end result is a 'private' DZ, where you and three of your friends (for a 182) get to jump all you want at your own pace.

Between email and facebook there's no excuse for not being in touch with other jumpers. Call the DZO, make sure he's willing to fly, and organize the jumpers. Again, until you do that, quit your bitching.

Note that both suggestions don't cost anything or take more than a few minutes a day on a computer, which means you can do them anytime you have a free moment. If you want to sit around and wait for things to be done for you, it's not always going to work out. If you're willing to step up and take an active role in your life, you might get a little more out of it.

I thought Texas would be hot all year round but you almost get cold weather over there. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_of_Texas

and I learned something today! :S

Texas is BIG. Some counties are as big as your country. It can be snowing north of Dallas and be in the 90's south of Houston. But right now we are in a major drought so we have been jumping non stop for months now. The cracks in the landing areas could eat a child.

So basically you're bitching because the British weather doesn't meet your personal approval. Other people deal with it, what's so special about you? Whatever dude.

it doesn't meet ANYBODIES personal approval :ph34r::ph34r:
It fucking SHITE generally,:ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

you're not alone. The weather in Virginia has been crap for pretty much an entire month.

Getting my A license is dragging.
The feather butts bounce off ya like raindrops hitting a battle-star when they come in too fast...kinda funny to watch. - airtwardo

Where I jump, we get at least 35 planes a day !
No big DZ, just a Pilatus Porter

what altitude do you get ? :o

4200m (about 14,000 Feet) !

We get 3/4 planes per hour (depending on refuel).

From 8am until 8pm, or later depending on sunset ;-)

It gets even better during the summer boogie week with the Twin Otter that more than doubles the jump capacity !

By the way...the "at least 35 planes a day", is what we get on a day without weather issues (it is in the south of France so the weather is pretty good !).

Of course it can be much less if the weather is being a pain ;)

But It is a lovely DZ, very few tandems, and a very implicated team...even if the weather sucks ALL day, the crew stays there until we get an opportunity to send up a plane ! That's dedication !

On some bad days we only got 3 planes up !

Anyways....I can't wait to go and jump in ths US !

I did 2 tandem jumps at Skydive New England 4 years ago, I keep great memories of the place !

I've been weathered out in every country I've ever jumped in. Get used to it.

In Arizona it gets too hot to jump. In Peris in Southern California I've sat through rain for days or sat on the ground in otherwise perfect jumping weather because of dust devils (mini tornadoes). In Floriday they get hurricaines which shut down the DZ (and totally wrecks them in the process) for weeks. In Spain it doesn't just rain on the plains. In Holland it was the wind. In Switzerland you can get some fantastic views of the mountains... if the cloud clears long enough for you to see them.

Best weather I've ever had was in Russia. Go figure. That was, at least, until a huge thunder storm came and we gave up and de-camped to Moscow.

You've got to get used to the weather.

And I've even had a whip round with the guys who were on the DZ to fill the last slot the DZ required to make the plane go so we could keep jumping even when the place was deserted - that was at one of the busiest DZ's on the planet by the way.

Shit happens.

PS I made 5 loads in the UK this past Saturday and again on Sunday. Next weekend I might be weathered out while you have perfect sun. It's called weather.

Texas is BIG. Some counties are as big as your country. It can be snowing north of Dallas and be in the 90's south of Houston. But right now we are in a major drought so we have been jumping non stop for months now. The cracks in the landing areas could eat a child.

Uhm, no.
Brewster county= 16,040km sq
United Kingdom= 243,610km sq