guineapiggie101

Is the Nationals something to go and watch?

or split the events up and let DZs who cater to those disciplines host those competitions

Dave: this is exactly how it is. It's up to the DZ putting in the bid to specify what they are bidding for. Sorry you feel that swooping is the bastard child.

I would also say that the USPA BOD meeting should be at the DZ hosting nationals directly before or after nationals, instead of some random resort town removed from the members.

And knowing how bitchy anti-USPA people get, I'm sure you'd get a big "Oh, we see how it is! USPA only cares about competitors and not the general membership!"
Remster

or split the events up and let DZs who cater to those disciplines host those competitions

Dave: this is exactly how it is. It's up to the DZ putting in the bid to specify what they are bidding for. Sorry you feel that swooping is the bastard child.

Bullshit. Name a single nationals competition in the past 10 years in which any discipline besides swooping has been held away from the rest of the events.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If a DZ wants to host them all, they can bid for them all. It's that simple, Dave.

So you don't disagree that swooping is the only discipline pushed off from the group.

Do you seriously think that a bid would be seriously considered if they didn't want to host RW?

If that was the only bid, it probably would be considered.

You're grasping at unlikely scenarios now.

You know that it is the truth, you're just trying to make it feel better because it isn't what you have competed in.

You know that it is the truth, you're just trying to make it feel better because it isn't what you have competed in.

I honestly dont know Dave. And I honestly dont really have a horse in this game. I'm only participating at Nats this year because it's here. My understanding is that, most years, there are NOT multiple bids for nationals.
Remster

I honestly dont know Dave. And I honestly dont really have a horse in this game. I'm only participating at Nats this year because it's here. My understanding is that, most years, there are NOT multiple bids for nationals.

The strain of the USPA's requirements is a big one. The stress the meet directors put on the competitors and the DZ is also a big one.

I would really like to see events split up and given to smaller DZs. For example, there is no reason why Style and Accuracy couldn't be run out of a 182 DZ and that could help put a smaller DZ on the map.

A smaller turbine DZ that has a strong FF community would be a good match and a smaller DZ that promotes canopy piloting is a good match (*cough*The Farm*cough*).

We're left with only a couple of DZs in the US that can handle nationals as they are and most of them have decided that they are unwilling to host the swoopers for various reasons. The typical stated reason is the facilities, but lets face it, DZs bought Porters that one year 4-way at worlds was going to be out of Porters...

I agree. But I hope you also see that, as a competition committee, if your are presented with a dozen or so bids (unlikely) and 1 of those bids is for all events (or all -1, be it swooping, accuracy, or 4way), and all the others were for single events, it's a lot easier to administer if you select that one big one, and another small one, as opposed to 5 or 6 separate ones.
Remster

I agree. But I hope you also see that, as a competition committee, if your are presented with a dozen or so bids (unlikely) and 1 of those bids is for all events (or all -1, be it swooping, accuracy, or 4way), and all the others were for single events, it's a lot easier to administer if you select that one big one, and another small one, as opposed to 5 or 6 separate ones.

Yes, but I also hope you can see how wrong it is for the USPA to say "we want nationals to be a single event to booster skydiving" and exclude the swoopers.

They want to spend $10,000 on a pet-project demo-team to "gain corporate sponsorship" and they toss to the side the single event that draws the most spectators. The only event that includes people in a live competition in which they can see the actual event easily and participate in the triumphs, the failures, the winning and the losing.

Yes, but I also hope you can see how wrong it is for the USPA to say "we want nationals to be a single event to booster skydiving" and exclude the swoopers.

They want to spend $10,000 on a pet-project demo-team to "gain corporate sponsorship" and they toss to the side the single event that draws the most spectators. The only event that includes people in a live competition in which they can see the actual event easily and participate in the triumphs, the failures, the winning and the losing.

BOOO-YAAAAA

So you don't disagree that swooping is the only discipline pushed off from the group

I have seen style and ACC and CRW done at separate DZ's from the freefall events.

For example, there is no reason why Style and Accuracy couldn't be run out of a 182 DZ and that could help put a smaller DZ on the map.

I can think of one reason... Would you want to ride to 7.5K in a 182 or a turbine?

We're left with only a couple of DZs in the US that can handle nationals as they are and most of them have decided that they are unwilling to host the swoopers for various reasons. The typical stated reason is the facilities, but lets face it, DZs bought Porters that one year 4-way at worlds was going to be out of Porters...

Very few DZ's actually bought Porters (Not surprisingly the same DZ's that could actually host a Nationals). But they can also SELL the Porter at the end of the year, you can't sell a swoop pond.

But hey, this is your chance to make a bid for the Swooping Nationals and make it BIGGER than the other events.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

But hey, this is your chance to make a bid for the Swooping Nationals and make it BIGGER than the other events.

I ran a competitive swoop league for a few years. That ship sailed...and caught on fire then sunk. ;)

I have never seen skydiving competitions and wondering if going to watch the Nationals is something interesting to do?

It would be more interesting for the competitors if women banged them all before the comp.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239